Jump to content
Leader

NFL News & Notes

Recommended Posts

Long article on the Caponomics of the Final Four teams in the NFL ( written before the Championship Games)

Really interesting dive into the numbers and the concept of building a defense and running game IF you don't have to pay the going rate for a franchise QB. That's what helped both Philly and minny, its just that Philly did it better

https://overthecap.com/nfl-final-4/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Long article on the Caponomics of the Final Four teams in the NFL ( written before the Championship Games)

Really interesting dive into the numbers and the concept of building a defense and running game IF you don't have to pay the going rate for a franchise QB. That's what helped both Philly and minny, its just that Philly did it better

https://overthecap.com/nfl-final-4/

Agreed. Not read the article - but if you DONT have a franchise QB sucking all the CAP space out of the room - you've more than likely got some serious coinage to spread around over the roster - plus - decent odds (not sure how Vegas would lay it out) that your record is borderline +/- and you're also snagging some decent draft slots.

Get yourself a franchise QB - who earns the right to be so named because he's delivering "W's" - you'll become a bottom feeder on draft day and UFDA's will look really nice to fill out the roster.

Thats when you need "keen eyed" talent evaluators. Folks who see talent potentials that others dont and a GM willing to go grab it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Leader said:

Get yourself a franchise QB - who earns the right to be so named because he's delivering "W's" - you'll become a bottom feeder on draft day and UFDA's will look really nice to fill out the roster.

Unless you're NE where you have the ultimate franchise QB, are always drafting at the bottom of the first round, and instead of relying upon undrafted free agents you trade for more and sign as many veteran free agents as any other team in the NFL to fill out your roster.

Edited by TheOnlyThing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Unless you're NE where you have the ultimate franchise QB, are always drafting at the bottom of the first round, and instead of relying upon undrafted free agents you trade for more and sign as many veteran free agents as any other team in the NFL to fill out your roster.

Wow!  What a groundbreaking idea.  I wonder why more franchises haven't thought of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Wow!  What a groundbreaking idea.  I wonder why more franchises haven't thought of this.

Because most teams don't have a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers so a lot of us are hoping Gutey will utilize FA more than Ted did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Long article on the Caponomics of the Final Four teams in the NFL ( written before the Championship Games)

Really interesting dive into the numbers and the concept of building a defense and running game IF you don't have to pay the going rate for a franchise QB. That's what helped both Philly and minny, its just that Philly did it better

https://overthecap.com/nfl-final-4/

 

Makes you pause a little with the pending extension for Rodgers and think whether it is the "right" thing to do.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Makes you pause a little with the pending extension for Rodgers and think whether it is the "right" thing to do.  

Nope. That's a blueprint for a scenario in which "I don't have a Rodgers or Brady and they are extremely rare to find, how can I compete without one?"

When you have a top 3 QB in the league at a given time, that trumps all. You keep that QB for as long as he wants and build the best team you can around him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Nope. That's a blueprint for a scenario in which "I don't have a Rodgers or Brady and they are extremely rare to find, how can I compete without one?"

When you have a top 3 QB in the league at a given time, that trumps all. You keep that QB for as long as he wants and build the best team you can around him.

So what is the price you are willing to go to?   If Rodgers wants to be the highest paid QB with the signing of his next contract in terms of

Average per year

Signing bonus

Most total guarantee money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pugger said:

Because most teams don't have a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers so a lot of us are hoping Gutey will utilize FA more than Ted did.

I'm still waiting on @TheOnlyThing to tell me which UDFA we were planning on using as starters or pseudo-starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

 If Rodgers wants to be the highest paid QB with the signing of his next contract

 

I don't  think AR will be pushing the limits, but his agent will. His agent needs to save face among all the other agents. AR is hyper competitive, but he's way beyond measuring his worth by his paycheck. And he wants to win more Titles. Its workable and AR will let his agent know who the real boss is.

The cap article is very interesting, but I don't think you can build a defense/running game that's good enough in today's NFL to overcome the value of an elite QB in the playoffs. We saw Brees carve up the vikes, then we saw Foles do the same thing. The vikes allegedly all- world defense got creamed for 55 points in 6 quarters.

We saw Jax load up with every FA and top draft pick on their defense and then Pitt and Big Ben shredded them for 42 points. And the Pats beat em too. The defense/running game strategy wins games, fills seats and does fine in the regular season. But when you get to the playoffs, the rules are so tilted to the offense that its really hard to win without an elite QB. Pats got half of their yardage and scoring because of Pass Interference - that completely wipes out the defense when you hand out 35 yard penalties like candy. Can't hit high, can't go low. Its nearly impossible to play the kind of defense we grew up with

Seahawks built a killer defense and went 1-1 in the Super Bowl. Now its falling apart and they have to re-load. As noted by PR above, its what you do when you don't have an elite QB - but its going to be really really hard to win with defense in a league that's so heavily tilted toward offense.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Long article on the Caponomics of the Final Four teams in the NFL ( written before the Championship Games)

Really interesting dive into the numbers and the concept of building a defense and running game IF you don't have to pay the going rate for a franchise QB. That's what helped both Philly and minny, its just that Philly did it better

https://overthecap.com/nfl-final-4/

 

Minnesota is kind of a bad example though since they spent more cap money on QBs than we did this year, just not on their QB that started most of their games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read......

I agree with the line of thinking that replay has gotten way out of hand. EVERYTHING gets replayed, regurgitated, reviewed and recalled and I absolutely HATE this "frame by frame" - "half second by half second" - "Zapruder film-like" - slo-mo determination of real life.

Here's my offer: The NFL plays half of next year without any replay at all. Just wing it like the old days. Then - they play the remaining games and Playoffs with the replay. Lets actually see how the two seasons match up. I'd be more than happy to leave the football and football decisions on the field rather than the couch.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/24/myles-jack-strip-dion-lewis-fumble-patriots-jaguars-replay-peter-king

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So.....considering if GB should pay to keep one of its own?

Better check to see if CLE wants him first cause they're gonna get first dibs on EVERYBODY!  :)
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Leader said:

So.....considering if GB should pay to keep one of its own?

Better check to see if CLE wants him first cause they're gonna get first dibs on EVERYBODY!  :)
 

 

That's why the Packers made a serious push to ink Adams and Linsley .. got that settled before Cleveland or San Fran could blow our deals out of the water.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a novel concept. If you lower the price to "people can afford it levels" - more will get consumed.

Betcha an economics major figured that one out. Had to be.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×