NFL News & Notes

Leader

ESPN:

Former New York Jets and Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson was arrested Saturday for driving under the influence in Manhattan, police told multiple New York-area media outlets.

Wilkerson, 29, is currently a free agent after finishing last season on the Packers' injured reserve following a broken ankle he suffered in Week 3.

According to WABC-TV, police said Wilkerson bypassed a stop sign in the Washington Heights neighborhood at 3:30 a.m. ET. The station reported that when police pulled him over, they noticed Wilkerson's eyes were bloodshot and smelled alcohol.

Wilkerson was charged and later released, according to WABC.

Edited by Leader

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

ESPN:

Former New York Jets and Green Bay Packers defensive tackle Muhammad Wilkerson was arrested Saturday for driving under the influence in Manhattan, police told multiple New York-area media outlets.

Wilkerson, 29, is currently a free agent after finishing last season on the Packers' injured reserve following a broken ankle he suffered in Week 3.

According to WABC-TV, police said Wilkerson bypassed a stop sign in the Washington Heights neighborhood at 3:30 a.m. ET. The station reported that when police pulled him over, they noticed Wilkerson's eyes were bloodshot and smelled alcohol.

Wilkerson was charged and later released, according to WABC.

Report said his BAC was 0.9. 

Not good, but I don’t think it’s going to change a team’s interest in him, if they’ve been thinking of bringing him in. 

12 hours ago, blankman0021 said:

Report said his BAC was 0.9. Not good, but I don’t think it’s going to change a team’s interest in him, if they’ve been thinking of bringing him in. 

The second most populace thing on the island of Manhattan (other than people....) has got to be taxi cab and Uber drivers. Rodents may give them a run for the money, but their numbers are harder to get a fix on.

Only problem with taking a taxi and/or Uber from a social occasion where you might have had a bit too much to drink - is when you drove there in a Rolls Royce. Not sure you wanna be parking that just anywhere over night.

Mo Wilks was most likely looked at as an emergency signing if the DL got hit hard with Injuries during the season. Don't think he was in their plans otherwise since they gave away his Jersey. 

If he stays out of trouble and doesn't face any suspensions from the league I can see us picking him up later in the year for depth due to Injuries. He'll be a full year removed from his surgery, his only issue will be if he's in  playing shape.

From the story, Wilkerson was 0.09 vs a 0.08 limit.  He said he had a shot and two beers.  He was pulled over for running a stop sign.  Then the police detected alcohol, and that he had bloodshot eyes.  It was 3:30 AM.

Dave's opinions:

-First, don't be out after about 1 am, nothing good happens after midnight.

-I don't buy that he had a shot and two beers.  "A couple of drinks" is the standard response to "have you been drinking?"

-I believe that he either ran a stop sign because he didn't see it, or that he did one of the "whatever state I am from" rolling stops.

-From personal experience, I also think that the police were looking for a reason to give a DUI/DWI and saw the stop sign violation and went to work.  I had a similar incident(s) where an officer was looking for a reason.

---------------

As far as football is concerned, I doubt this is much of an issue.  This wasn't a case of a black-out drunk ripping through a residential neighborhood.  I don't know if Wilkerson has been in trouble with the league before.  I know he had issues with the Jets, but I thought that was because he was being a PITA and the team disciplined him.  I imagine that if a team were to sign him it would have been after the season had started anyway.  Is there any word on his recovery?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

From the story, Wilkerson was 0.09 vs a 0.08 limit.  He said he had a shot and two beers.  He was pulled over for running a stop sign.  Then the police detected alcohol, and that he had bloodshot eyes.  It was 3:30 AM.

Dave's opinions:

-I don't buy that he had a shot and two beers.  "A couple of drinks" is the standard response to "have you been drinking?"

-I believe that he either ran a stop sign because he didn't see it, or that he did one of the "whatever state I am from" rolling stops.

-From personal experience, I also think that the police were looking for a reason to give a DUI/DWI and saw the stop sign violation and went to work.  I had a similar incident(s) where an officer was looking for a reason.

---------------

As far as football is concerned, I doubt this is much of an issue.  This wasn't a case of a black-out drunk ripping through a residential neighborhood.  I don't know if Wilkerson has been in trouble with the league before.  I know he had issues with the Jets, but I thought that was because he was being a PITA and the team disciplined him.  I imagine that if a team were to sign him it would have been after the season had started anyway.  Is there any word on his recovery?

I think the larger issue could be that Wilkerson has had issues with Alcoholism IIRC.

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Had a business deal (legal) get done around 2AM once.  Went out and got pancakes with a couple friends, one of the most productive nights of my life.  

Edited by waterfish_21