NFL News & Notes

Leader

Ian Rapoport:  Former Colts QB Andrew Luck sounds emotional and well-prepared, reading a speech. He’s made a lot of money, he’s been through a lot, he doesn’t love football like he used to. My two cents: He deserves to retire whenever he wants and enjoy what he earned.

Andy Herman: This is how legitimately stupid and naive I am to this world still. Someone tweeted out that Luck was on the sidelines talking to teammates when the news broke. I legitimately thought to myself, how cool, they will be able to give him a big ovation and thank him on the way out.

Adam Schefter:  Andrew Luck on the booing he heard tonight from Colts’ fans: “It hurt...it hurt.”

Michael Giardi:  Colts GM Chris Ballard, "It's been an emotional week." Speaks of his relationship with Andrew Luck. Addresses the fans. Reminds them that no one died.

Colts head coach Frank Reich calls Andrew Luck "one of the truly unique players..." Adds that you could feel the toll the injuries have taken on Luck.

Fans booing the guy when he's been in a seemingly endless cycle of pain the last couple of years. Boo that garbage front office for not giving him better teams and allowing him to be knocked around as much as he was. 

His love for the game is not there anymore. He's made a lot of money along the way and his body can now hopefully fully heal. Good for him that he decided getting knocked around for however many more years when his heart isn't in it anymore, wasn't worth it any longer. 

His presser just a bit ago was really genuine and heartfelt (as you’d expect), but I really appreciated that he spent most of his time thanking and calling out all of his teammates (past and present), including the security and cafeteria staff.  He’s a class act and football will miss him.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

ProFootballTalk: Perhaps they will, but for second time in three years fans who bought season tickets under the assumption they would see Luck play are getting screwed.

While true, it’s not surprising that Florio and PFT are already going there with this story.  And I do feel for the fans, but man, the guys is genuinely tired of playing while hurt.  Let the man have his dignity.

Just now, Sasquatch said:

While true, it’s not surprising that Florio and PFT are already going there with this story.  And I do feel for the fans, but man, the guys is genuinely tired of playing while hurt.  Let the man have his dignity.

I certainly dont know the guy or what makes him tick.....but I'm not too sure that after a time away.....after a time of healing....he doesnt come back. I cant speak to the nature of his injuries....how "everyday" or continual they are or will be.....but if he heals up....its possible he'll come back.

Mike Garafolo: Colts owner Jim Irsay references Michael Jordan’s comeback as well as Tiger Woods winning The Masters this year. Notes Andrew Luck will only be 30 years old next year. Says he has to “find his way.” Clearly Irsay is hoping this isn’t the end for Luck.

Just now, Leader said:

I certainly dont know the guy or what makes him tick.....but I'm not too sure that after a time away.....after a time of healing....he doesnt come back. I cant speak to the nature of his injuries....how "everyday" or continual they are or will be.....but if he heals up....its possible he'll come back.

It’s possible, Leader - anything’s possible.  Should note that he was pointedly asked that exact question in his presser: “would he consider coming back to football after his body has properly healed?”, and his response was “well, I can’t predict anything in the future, but I don’t see returning to the game.”

Who knows - I wouldn’t be shocked if he came back, but he seemed pretty resolved that this was it for him.  Time will tell.

Sad news for the league. I get it from Luck’s standpoint. He was injured for essentially 4 straight years. Grigson ruined Luck’s body. Hopefully he comes back in a year or 2 after getting his body right but I doubt it.

I get the fans being pissed. 2 weeks before the season calling it quits is pretty bad.

Mike Garafolo: Colts owner Jim Irsay notes Andrew Luck is giving up almost $500 million by walking away from the NFL. With QB salaries already at $35 million per year, Luck would’ve pushed $40 million APY soon. Another deal after that maybe over $50 million APY ... yeah, that sounds right.