NFL News & Notes

Leader

16 minutes ago, Leader said:

Mike Garafolo: Colts owner Jim Irsay notes Andrew Luck is giving up almost $500 million by walking away from the NFL. With QB salaries already at $35 million per year, Luck would’ve pushed $40 million APY soon. Another deal after that maybe over $50 million APY ... yeah, that sounds right.

The amount of money Andrew Luck needs to be happy in retirement is a lot less than the amount of money he already has.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The amount of money Andrew Luck needs to be happy in retirement is a lot less than the amount of money he already has.

Yep, I can’t imagine that more money accumulated translates to more actual happiness once you get past somewhere in the $2-10M range. Assuming basic financial hygiene, at least. 

8 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

Yep, I can’t imagine that more money accumulated translates to more actual happiness once you get past somewhere in the $2-10M range. Assuming basic financial hygiene, at least. 

I think the cut off is around $75k/yr. Above that, no additional happiness per dollar.

9 minutes ago, Cakeshoppe said:

I remember a StatsMech class I had in undergrad, every assignment had (as a heuristic exercise) to sketch the utility curve of money.  It was impossible to not get full credit on it if you did it, but every time you'd get notes like "what about this situation".  I think about that a lot.

It's a really nonlinear curve, since the utility of $1m is more than a million times that of $1, but it plateaus considerably until you get into the "you command the GDP of a medium-sized country" territory.  Luck was never going to reach that next spike playing football.

3 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

Depends on how his health shakes out down the line.

Well, was he ever going to earn enough money to purchase whatever superscience he would need to resolve the health problems he has?  Most of what would stand in his way of happiness is not reasonably solvable with "more money".

21 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, was he ever going to earn enough money to purchase whatever superscience he would need to resolve the health problems he has?  Most of what would stand in his way of happiness is not reasonably solvable with "more money".

Peyton's wife could get him what he needs tbh

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

It's also not like he's going to just stop working either. The guy is an objectively smart guy from an amazing school who seems like he's always had intellectual pursuits in addition to football. He's still gonna earn a ton somewhere, maybe not more than star QB but oodles more than the average US household.

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Welllllllllll...that depends on how you feel "more money" interfaces with having "more sex" :)

10 hours ago, Cakeshoppe said:

If memory serves, the Luck family was already pretty well set financially before luck entered the NFL.  That was part of the reason Luck was fine staying at Stanford through his senior season.  The money was never as big a factor for Luck as the typical NFL player entering the league.