NFL News & Notes

Leader

Remember when I said Duke Dawson would bust hard? 

It's seriously like a joke how bad Belichick is at drafting receivers and defensive backs in the second round. 

Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Jordan Richards
Tavon Wilson
Ras I Dowling
Darius Butler
Terrence Wheatley
Chad Jackson
Eugene Wilson

Patrick Chung is literally the only one who has worked out out of 9 second round defensive backs. 

And yet Thompson drafts King and Jones and it's the end of the world and he sucked. 

• Like 3

I feel like if the packers have an offense that can be balanced and sustain drives; without new pieces on the defense would be a 9-7 team with these guys they could be 11-5 or better if they steal one here and there. The offensive balance and ability to sustain drives will greatly improve our defense but we have to be able to finish these drives.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It's seriously like a joke how bad Belichick is at drafting receivers and defensive backs in the second round. 

Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Jordan Richards
Tavon Wilson
Ras I Dowling
Darius Butler
Terrence Wheatley
Chad Jackson
Eugene Wilson

Patrick Chung is literally the only one who has worked out out of 9 second round defensive backs. 

And yet Thompson drafts King and Jones and it's the end of the world and he sucked. 

BB has truly had a number of significant number of poor WR and DB draft picks over the years.

Then again, BB has never ignored free agency and has made more trades than any other GM to shore up his roster.

Who would have ever thought that a GM not limiting himself to just the draft could produce so many Super Bowls?

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

For all that he does the rest of stuff well, Bill Belichick was never a great drafter. Some of that is masked by his picking up decent vets who play a solid role on his team, but as a drafter, very average. Too much on his plate to do better.

I did like his draft philosophy in the past. First get some extra picks in future years. Then, as those future years arrived, he would use both his normal and extra picks to position himself to where he wanted to be, to get the guys he coveted. 'Leftover' picks were then traded for future ones again, rinse and repeat. He did this for several years, but not so much now.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Tom Pelissero: The Seahawks are deep in talks to acquire franchise player Jadeveon Clowney from the Texans. Clowney has told people he wants to be in Seattle. Still some hoops to jump through, but it’s headed toward him getting his wish.

22 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Duke Dawson
Cyrus Jones
Jordan Richards
Tavon Wilson
Ras I Dowling
Darius Butler
Terrence Wheatley
Chad Jackson
Eugene Wilson

No argument however another point here is that BB is not married to his draft picks (like some teams) and does an excellent job early on with cutting bait and replacing those guys. Doesn't matter where the guy was drafted, if he cant play and play well early, BB will ship him out and find a better player/fit. He's excellent at building a roster of the "right" guys. He sees draft picks as what they are, lottery tickets, tickets that can and should be traded for proven players at times, and acquired at other times to build capital so he can move around on draft day. Most importantly, if the ticket isnt a winner, he tosses out and find a player elsewhere.