NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Leader said:

What a novel concept. If you lower the price to "people can afford it levels" - more will get consumed.

Betcha an economics major figured that one out. Had to be.

If they only spent 16% more in gross revenue and they cut profit margins by like 80%, I don't expect that many teams will follow that model...

So, yeah, I don't think an economist came up with that.

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

If they only spent 16% more in gross revenue and they cut profit margins by like 80%, I don't expect that many teams will follow that model...

So, yeah, I don't think an economist came up with that.

They cut pricing by 50%....but regardless, the concept (IMO) is that stuff at a stadium or sporting venue is grossly overpriced. 

Just now, Leader said:

They cut pricing by 50%....but regardless, the concept (IMO) is that stuff at a stadium or sporting venue is grossly overpriced. 

fixed cost of goods sold, percentage price cut off the top, thus gross profit will drop by more than the percentage price cut off the top.

Of course stuff at a stadium is overpriced.  Same as popcorn at the movies.  They have you by the short hairs.

Is it more fair for the falcons to raise ticket prices by $20 across the board and charge less for food, or for them to charge $10/beer and have $20 cheaper tickets.  The Falcons aren't doing anyone a favor by charging less at games for the food.

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

fixed cost of goods sold, percentage price cut off the top, thus gross profit will drop by more than the percentage price cut off the top.

Of course stuff at a stadium is overpriced.  Same as popcorn at the movies.  They have you by the short hairs.

Is it more fair for the falcons to raise ticket prices by $20 across the board and charge less for food, or for them to charge $10/beer and have $20 cheaper tickets.  The Falcons aren't doing anyone a favor by charging less at games for the food.

Might have you by the short hairs but I cant tell you the last time I bought popcorn at the movies or an eight dollar hot dog at some stadium. 

• Like 1

Despite dropping cost of food by 50% in Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta Falcons & United fans spent 16% more per game.

Both the wording and the implied conclusion seem off.

It is not unreasonable to expect that fans might spend more if prices are dropped, so "despite" seems an inappropriate preposition.

As at least one other person pointed out, it sure seems unlikely that a mere 16% increase in spending yields an increase in profit after slashing margins.

My quick take on stadium vending.

Lambeau: Best--way most expensive.

Bucks/Bradley: WORST by far--and still expensive

Miller Park: Okay--reasonable

4 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Both the wording and the implied conclusion seem off.

It is not unreasonable to expect that fans might spend more if prices are dropped, so "despite" seems an inappropriate preposition.

As at least one other person pointed out, it sure seems unlikely that a mere 16% increase in spending yields an increase in profit after slashing margins.

My quick take on stadium vending.

Lambeau: Best--way most expensive.

Bucks/Bradley: WORST by far--and still expensive

Miller Park: Okay--reasonable

My thoughts or comments werent based on bottom line profit to the stadium/team. Rather, simply that people will consume more if the prices were more reasonable. Me? I eat before going in and will plan on "deserts" afterwards. Give me one (or two) of those overpriced sodas/beers and some good company and I'll be just fine :)

The Stadia have a fixed number of seats and the goal is to extract as much profit as possible from each of those seats. Each purchase helps the bottom line even if the profit margin drops from "obscene" to "excessive". More importantly, its a PR thing - the prices charged are a source of gripes for the fans and are highly visible. So the teams offer the fans a small give-back to placate them. And then they trumpet their new found awesomeness through their media partners. The sales numbers for their concession partners were also down, and those guys voiced their concern to league HQ

They want fans in the stadium as early as possible, but fans would rather eat their own food and drink their own bevs in the parking lot instead. Because the inside is such a ripoff. The League also doesn't want the fans to know that they are serving near-beer inside the stadium - but they are. Its a low alcohol beer to keep the craziness to a minimum while still pimping their sponsors like Bud light and Coors ( beer- flavored water)

They need to keep filling those stadia or the whole thing comes tumbling down. That's why they invest millions in better WI-FI and scoreboards. The League will continue to put lipstick on the pig in an attempt to not be the hogs that get slaughtered.

This isn't an accounting exercise, its PR for their partners and placating the fans. Once you add those costs, its a no brainer

On 1/29/2018 at 7:23 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

How soon until everybody here wants us to sign a soon to be 32 year old corner who, in spite of his elite level of play, will be joining his fourth team with additional legal and personality baggage?  That's gonna be so much fun. 

It's been discussed here somewhere already I think

• CWood21 unlocked this topic