NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

How is LA doing this?

Donald is the highest paid defensive player (or maybe Mack? Either way) / Goff is a top 4 paid QB / Gurley is the 2nd most expensive RB / Cooks is top 5 at WR / Ramsey is going to be the top paid CB

I've no clue - but I checked Spotrac and for 2019 they're currently showing 4.9M estimated cap space. For 2020 that jumps up to 21.9M. This includes Jalen Ramsey at his current contract levels and deducts what was Peters costs entirely. What other players and at what cost levels? I've not checked.

Edited by Leader

Always go to Overthecap (even though they still have not added Ramsey's contract), Spotrac has less reliable data and a lot copies from them.

It's quite easy to understand how they do it. Because of the signing bonuses, a lot of contracts are structured in a way where the first year of a contract has a really low base salary. In Goff's case he's got a 1M base salary and a 10.6M Cap hit. Goff's cap hit increases next year, when his cap hit is 36M. What they will probably do is resign Ramsey in a similar fashion so he's 2020 cap hit is actually lower than the one he would get with his 5th year and restructure Donald's deal (turn the base salary into a signing bonus and spread the cap hit). That way they will have some space and will be able to afford them.

However, they won't be able to signing a good OT or IOL in the free agency, nor will they have 1st round picks to get them in the draft.

• Like 1

PFT:  When the Patriots released wide receiver Demaryius Thomas in August, they told him their plan was to bring him back with a role in mind for the regular season.

The Patriots did bring Thomas back, but traded him to the Jets a week later in order to make room for Antonio Brown. Thomas said this week that he thought it was “insulting” for things to play out that way based on what head coach Bill Belichick had told him earlier in his time with the team.

At a Wednesday press conference, Belichick was asked about Thomas’s comments.

“I felt like I was always truthful with him, but things changed, and therefore what I said was not the same as what it was — what I had said previously. It is what it is"

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I've no clue - but I checked Spotrac and for 2019 they're currently showing 4.9M estimated cap space. For 2020 that jumps up to 21.9M. This includes Jalen Ramsey at his current contract levels and deducts what was Peters costs entirely. What other players and at what cost levels? I've not checked.

I wonder who is going to be the casualty. Probably Cooper Kupp

21 hours ago, Leader said:

At a Wednesday press conference, Belichick was asked about Thomas’s comments.

“I felt like I was always truthful with him, but things changed, and therefore what I said was not the same as what it was — what I had said previously. It is what it is"

Shees, that cheating  scumbag is apiece of work- too funny.

22 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Always go to Overthecap (even though they still have not added Ramsey's contract), Spotrac has less reliable data and a lot copies from them.

It's quite easy to understand how they do it. Because of the signing bonuses, a lot of contracts are structured in a way where the first year of a contract has a really low base salary. In Goff's case he's got a 1M base salary and a 10.6M Cap hit. Goff's cap hit increases next year, when his cap hit is 36M. What they will probably do is resign Ramsey in a similar fashion so he's 2020 cap hit is actually lower than the one he would get with his 5th year and restructure Donald's deal (turn the base salary into a signing bonus and spread the cap hit). That way they will have some space and will be able to afford them.

However, they won't be able to signing a good OT or IOL in the free agency, nor will they have 1st round picks to get them in the draft.

They will likely have to cut a few players as well so not saying it isn’t possible but it will be difficult to get a strong infusion of talent this offseason they need line help, they won’t resign Whitworth or Talib. Probably have to chose one of Brockers or Fowler, may decide to go with a cheaper kicker than Zeurlein and have to cut Malcolm Brown, Eric Weddle and a few others. Will take some savvy moves to infuse the middle of the roster with talent.

24 minutes ago, Donzo said:

Shees, that cheating  scumbag is apiece of work- too funny.

I disagree with this one. He didn't know what D. Thomas was brought in he'd be signing Antonio Brown. Someone had to go with Brown came on board and it happened to be Thomas. Circumstances clearly changed which has to affect somebody.

I am no Billicheat fan or apologist, but those are the facts. 

21 hours ago, Golfman said:

I disagree with this one. He didn't know what D. Thomas was brought in he'd be signing Antonio Brown. Someone had to go with Brown came on board and it happened to be Thomas. Circumstances clearly changed which has to affect somebody.

I am no Billicheat fan or apologist, but those are the facts. 

He re-signed with the Patriots in September and traded a week later. The Patriots were on Brown way before that, so the "circumstances" didn't really change. The big picture plan just came to fruition. 

This is typical NFL stuff. The players are used as disposable assets and the Patriots take it the extreme. Bellichik could have owned that, but he spun up some nonsense instead.

Jeffrey Simmons is being activated from non-football injury list. I loved this kid coming out. I don't think I could have taken him in round 1 though. Tennessee might have a steal on their hands. I hope the kid isn't rushing back too soon from that ACL. 

Edited by Golfman

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Jeffrey Simmons is being activated from non-football injury list. I loved this kid coming out. I don't think I could have taken him in round 1 though. Tennessee might have a steal on their hands. I hope the kid isn't rushing back too soon from that ACL. 

Fixed.

Anyone else think the Bengals are tanking?