NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of the cap and you think 15% is no big deal.  I disagree.  That 8-12 million is two players out of 53 in the ultimate team sport.  It’s a big deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/quarterback/

Eliminates Minny, GB, and NO from the Superbowl.  So looking at Niners vs. NE or KC.  Anyway link provides the breakdown.  Agree with your assessment and don't care for the escalation in QB salaries.  Hopefully at 13.74% it won't be a deal breaker for the Pack.

25 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/quarterback/

Eliminates Minny, GB, and NO from the Superbowl.  So looking at Niners vs. NE or KC.  Anyway link provides the breakdown.  Agree with your assessment and don't care for the escalation in QB salaries.  Hopefully at 13.74% it won't be a deal breaker for the Pack.

That’s for all quarterbacks on the roster.

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Keep scrolling down.  Was looking at wrong data.  Minny, GB, and Sea all eliminated.  NO is OK at 11.95%.  Rodger's checks in at 13.45%.   

Yeah, that’s another reason why I don’t think we win it this year.  And one of the biggest reasons why I picked the Saints to win it all this year.  And why Brady keeps winning.  

Edit: If Rodgers is the first one to do it I will never say another bad thing about him the rest of my life.

Edited by Outpost31

22 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, that’s another reason why I don’t think we win it this year.  And one of the biggest reasons why I picked the Saints to win it all this year.  And why Brady keeps winning.  

Edit: If Rodgers is the first one to do it I will never say another bad thing about him the rest of my life.

Get the point of it all but don't view it as a hard and fast rule.  We'll see how it all shakes out.  It would be fitting for the Pack to bring home the Lombardi in the 100th season.  

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Get the point of it all but don't view it as a hard and fast rule.  We'll see how it all shakes out.  It would be fitting for the Pack to bring home the Lombardi in the 100th season.  

Not gonna happen unless our defense plays like it did the first 4 weeks of the season against at least 2 NFC playoff teams and then the Chiefs with Mahomes, the Ravens or the Patriots.

35 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Doubt it .. you can't help it.

8 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Doubt it .. you can't help it.

Ultimately I’m hard on Rodgers because I don’t think he and his contract can get us another Super Bowl win.  If I’m proven wrong you won’t even recognize me here I’ll be so happy.  I wasn’t on a forum for 2011 because I was too busy being happy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of the cap and you think 15% is no big deal.  I disagree.  That 8-12 million is two players out of 53 in the ultimate team sport.  It’s a big deal.

2% is 4M dollars. That is a backup veteran.

I think the anti high paid QB argument is kind of lazy. When it all comes down to it, you need to have a degree of cheap labor on value deals. A QB on a rookie deal (or Brady taking less) helps, but if hit on picks, it doesn't matter. Between 2013-2017 we didn't evaluate talent well and paid the price.

I will say one problem with a having a high paid QB is that means that you're QB is most likely good and your team has a general floor of 6 wins, causing you to miss out on resources. With that said is that really a bad problem? Would you want to watch a 0-3 win operation for several years like the Browns/Miami/Rams the last several in hope that you finally hit on picks (including getting a plus QB) and you have a great team every once in awhile? I'd say no.

3 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

2% is 4M dollars. That is a backup veteran.

I think the anti high paid QB argument is kind of lazy. When it all comes down to it, you need to have a degree of cheap labor on value deals. A QB on a rookie deal (or Brady taking less) helps, but if hit on picks, it doesn't matter. Between 2013-2017 we didn't evaluate talent well and paid the price.

I will say one problem with a having a high paid QB is that means that you're QB is most likely good and your team has a general floor of 6 wins, causing you to miss out on resources. With that said is that really a bad problem? Would you want to watch a 0-3 win operation for several years like the Browns/Miami/Rams the last several in hope that you finally hit on picks (including getting a plus QB) and you have a great team every once in awhile? I'd say no.

The third paragraph is plays a big part. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Man, I would LOVE to see Brady leave New England for somewhere after this season. Let him go to a a team without that Belichick defense and see how many games he wins.  

Itd be the the Bears with McDaniels as the HC for a couple years until BB and Brady retire. 

Just now, HighCalebR said:

Itd be the the Bears with McDaniels as the HC for a couple years until BB and Brady retire. 

I say bring it.  Even with Mack, the Bears are allowing an extra touchdown a game compared to the New England defense. 

The Bears have 7.3 million in effective cap space next year.  Trevathan, Long, Clinton-Dix, Lynch and Kwiatkoski are all free agents.  As are Nick Williams and Robertson-Harris. 

They have two second round picks, three 5th round picks two sixth round picks and a 7th round pick. 

Bobby Massie - Meh, turning 31.
Cody Whitehair - Meh
Cornelius Lucas - Meh
Charles Leno - Bad
Ted Larsen - Bad
James Daniels - Barely average
Kyle Long - Turning 31 and coming off injuries. 

Nick Kwiatkoski is playing much better than Roquan Smith.  He's playing damn near elite football while can't miss Roquan Smith is playing poorly. 

@packfanfb, you want a free agent ILB, it's Kwiatkoski. 

Prince Amukamara will be 31. 

The Bears are closer to falling apart everywhere than coming together with Brady. 

Unless Tom Brady got paid 7 million dollars, which would be the lowest he was paid since his third year as a pro, the Bears would have to cut someone currently on their roster, not be able to re-sign a single free agent of their own and not add anybody.

Bears are already going to have to cut some players with or without adding Brady. 

• Like 2