NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Come in clean with a real tackle and both guys are in the next play and the WR still gets a solid lick on him. Total garbage lead with his crown. He didn’t even have his arms open for an attempt to tackle. The idiot is lucky he didn’t concuss himself to. 

Watching 1-2 guys per game get taken off the field from concussions due to poor tackling is getting brutal from this fans perspective. I wish the NFL would push the agenda of heads up tackling more. 

Randall is only one academic year older than I am, and I was taught and enforced proper form tackling every year of my football career. I know it's taught in college as well. There's nothing that the NFL can do to push the agenda of proper tackling form more. Part of playing football is realizing that you can hit harder by using your helmet than you can with proper technique and some players will do that. Everyone does it to some extent, the question is which guys are doing it most frequently. 

34 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Come in clean with a real tackle and both guys are in the next play and the WR still gets a solid lick on him. Total garbage lead with his crown. He didn’t even have his arms open for an attempt to tackle. The idiot is lucky he didn’t concuss himself to. 

Watching 1-2 guys per game get taken off the field from concussions due to poor tackling is getting brutal from this fans perspective. I wish the NFL would push the agenda of heads up tackling more. 

Bet that's what Marcus William's thought. Obviously the technique was poor but I dont have a problem with a guy playing body over ball. Theres a line they have to toe.

Savage literally did the same thing this last week but with a better hit.

Edited by HighCalebR

34 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Should have a targeting rule like in college.  Maybe it would help.  

I like it but there are a lot of non-targeting hits that are rules as targeting. Knowing how bad the college refs can **** that up, just imagine how bad the NFL would do...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

On deliberate killshots, yeah, but It's also a terrifying prospect to give the NFL more room to legislate and punish defensive players. 

I don't disagree with this point regarding giving the NFL more power. If they are serious about cleaning this stuff up, hits like Randall just doled out will come with a suspension where he's out as long as the player he injured. You could put a max on it, say 4-6 games, but you take away a quarter of a man's pay and he's learning to come in with a shoulder or form tackling in a hurry. 

Look how long it took coaches to learn not to challenge PI, not even a full season. Same will happen with this if they make the punishment severe enough. Randall was smiling about it after the play. I heard one commentator say something to the effect, "this looked like a bounty game for Cleveland!" 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I don't disagree with this point regarding giving the NFL more power. If they are serious about cleaning this stuff up, hits like Randall just doled out will come with a suspension where he's out as long as the player he injured. You could put a max on it, say 4-6 games, but you take away a quarter of a man's pay and he's learning to come in with a shoulder or form tackling in a hurry. 

Look how long it took coaches to learn not to challenge PI, not even a full season. Same will happen with this if they make the punishment severe enough. Randall was smiling about it after the play. I heard one commentator say something to the effect, "this looked like a bounty game for Cleveland!" 

Not like it didn't work though

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

I don't disagree with this point regarding giving the NFL more power. If they are serious about cleaning this stuff up, hits like Randall just doled out will come with a suspension where he's out as long as the player he injured.

I've seen this argument before but it has a flaw. Suppose (for example) a very good player from a team likely to be in the playoffs (and meeting you there) hits an easily replaceable player of ours in the regular season and gets the suspension, as you suggested. All the Packers need to do is keep their minor player out 'injured' the rest of the season and Donald also has to sit out. With these things the devil is in the detail. Your next sentence (after the one I copied) shows you also realise there could be a problem with an 'equal time out' ruling.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I've seen this argument before but it has a flaw. Suppose (for example) a very good player from a team likely to be in the playoffs (and meeting you there) hits an easily replaceable player of ours in the regular season and gets the suspension, as you suggested. All the Packers need to do is keep their minor player out 'injured' the rest of the season and Donald also has to sit out. With these things the devil is in the detail. Your next sentence (after the one I copied) shows you also realise there could be a problem with an 'equal time out' ruling.

Since we're talking about concussion protocol this is done by an independent doctor from the game. If the guy is cleared to play so is the offender. Equal time out of due to the severity of the offense and that is based on how long the guy takes to get back.