NFL News & Notes

Leader

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I know this will get dominated with the Rodgers news..at least I hope it does, but....

Any thoughts on Earl Thomas in GB?  If they want to trade him and are only looking for a second or a third, is his cap hit (now and future) worth it in GB?

I've always liked that player.  

16 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Man, Matt Ryan just got 30 million a year.  We ain't gonna be able to afford a water fountain BUBBLER in the locker room soon. 

Fixed that for yah.  :D

• Like 1

As Nagler correctly pointed out, AR's been underpaid for years. His contract was superseded by the likes of Mark Sanchez, Mike Glennon and others - and he kept quiet about it. He's due a raise to where his market value lies. The key to the signing will be the % of cap space he holds down. If its relatively the same - and the cap stays steady or increases - the team will have the same leeway to sign FA's and their own personnel as now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Matt Ryan just got 30 million.  Matt Ryan.

Yeah but the month before Rodgers signed that record-breaking $22M/Y extension, Joe Flacco signed a $20M/Y deal coming off the heels of two consecutive sub-90 passer rating seasons. Rodgers had a Superbowl, MVP, and a 39:8 TD:INT ratio season under his belt over the 3 years preceding his deal. The same Matt Ryan whose deal you’re concerned about now  signed a 21M/Y deal a few months later. 

This time around, Rodgers is 34, just had his second season that he lost the bulk of due to a collarbone injury, and he hasn’t played a full season at his expected level of play since 2014. Ryan is 32 and took his team to a superbowl during his MVP season two years ago. I expect Rodgers to pull in more than Ryan, but I don’t think we need to be terrified of the deal he’ll get. I’m relaxed until I see the numbers. 

5 minutes ago, MathMan said:

If I was a center, I wouldn't want to play for any team dumb enough to draft me in the first round. 

Lions recent history of ineptitude:

TE - 10th overall.  Now a Colt.
G - 28th overall.  Now a Niner.
Acceptable first round position.
ILB - 21st overall. Not impressive against anyone but Hundley in a final, meaningless game.
C - 20th overall. 

The Lions do exactly what teams shouldn't do.

Their last GM was worse. 

WR - 2nd overall.  Great player, terrible position.  Didn't help them.  Joe Thomas went one pick later.
ILB - 9th overall.  Wasn't very good.
WR - 10th overall.  Sucked.
WR - 7th overall.  Wasn't very good.
WR - 2nd overall.  Sucked. 

Look at those five year stretches.  Just look at them.  People wonder why I think it's so stupid to draft IOL, ILB, WR, TE in the first round?  Look at the Lions.  JLATL. 

25 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

If I was a center, I wouldn't want to play for any team dumb enough to draft me in the first round. 

Lions recent history of ineptitude:

TE - 10th overall.  Now a Colt.
G - 28th overall.  Now a Niner.
Acceptable first round position.
ILB - 21st overall. Not impressive against anyone but Hundley in a final, meaningless game.
C - 20th overall. 

The Lions do exactly what teams shouldn't do.

Their last GM was worse. 

WR - 2nd overall.  Great player, terrible position.  Didn't help them.  Joe Thomas went one pick later.
ILB - 9th overall.  Wasn't very good.
WR - 10th overall.  Sucked.
WR - 7th overall.  Wasn't very good.
WR - 2nd overall.  Sucked. 

Look at those five year stretches.  Just look at them.  People wonder why I think it's so stupid to draft IOL, ILB, WR, TE in the first round?  Look at the Lions.  JLATL. 

When I want to my my friends cry, who are Lion fans, I simply recite to them the players taken after Eric Ebron.  Anyone else happy we don't face OBJ or Aaron Donald twice a year, every year?

47 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Lions recent history of ineptitude:...................

Just to extend that ineptitude, the Lions have tended to cluster-pick certain positions, year after year. First it was O line, then it was WR...........let me show you with these 1st round picks (where noted they are rd.2). They are not all bad picks, but multiple picks over several years at two positions means other position groups are being neglected.

OL 1996 Jeff Hartings, 1997 Juan Roque (rd.2. #35), 1999 Aaron Gibson, 2000 Stockar McDougle, 2001 Jeff Backus and Dominic Raiola (rd.2 #50) = 6 OLs in 6 years.
WR 2003 Charles Rodgers, 2004 Roy Williams, 2005 Mike Williams, 2007 Calvin Johnson = 4 WRs in round one, over 5 years.
An 11 year spread dominated by two position groups.

Cluster-picking is saying you are not getting it right, year on year. The Packers were going that way with DBs (seven of the ten rd.1&2 picks in the last 5 years were DBs). Fortunately the Packers have re-done their front office, so i'm hoping the DB run is now at an end, and there is a good chance it is...........finally.

2 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Cluster-picking is saying you are not getting it right, year on year. The Packers were going that way with DBs (seven of the ten rd.1&2 picks in the last 5 years were DBs). Fortunately the Packers have re-done their front office, so i'm hoping the DB run is now at an end, and there is a good chance it is...........finally.

"Not getting it right" is only part of the story. Look at how many guys the Packers lost at CB, including CB1 when Shields went down.

Check out the photo from 2015 and note how many of those guys are now gone.

DBs2015.jpg

9 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

"Not getting it right" is only part of the story. Look at how many guys the Packers lost at CB, including CB1 when Shields went down.

Check out the photo from 2015 and note how many of those guys are now gone.

DBs2015.jpg

Perhaps more accurate than 'not getting it right'  is 'not working out'. Unfortunate events (like the loss of Shields) sit alongside the letting go guys that should have been kept, and drafting guys that didn't work out.

On 5/4/2018 at 3:06 PM, deltarich87 said:

This Seahawks defense is gonna be unrecognizable this season. Still don't even know if Kam Chancellor will be cleared to play

Wouldn't blame ET for phoning home. Wags either.

Edited by HyponGrey