NFL News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I feel like all this discussion is missing the point that if this strategy does indeed work, then every NFL team will try and replicate. Teams will stop trading draft capital for Elite QBs that are now wanting Elite QB money. Maybe the strategy works in the beginning, but the league will adjust.

This strategy is also making a lot of assumptions of what a QBs value would be. If it is so easy to find a QB in the later rounds, then why would any team trade such enormous draft capital for one? It would really take a perfect storm of Desperate GMs wanting to trade draft capital, insanely good draft classes, and a very patient owner for this all to work.

There will always be GMs/Owners who want to put fans in the stands and take the bait. Also, what it would do over the long-term is bring the difference between the top paid guy at a position and the 20th paid guy closer. Put another way, the top deals will be for less money across the board if everyone figures it out. The ROI on paying a guy 10%+ of your salary cap will no longer happen. 

Edited by Golfman

Really though, I’m surprised no other quarterbacks have copied Brady.  You’d think there’d be one QB more interested in winning and his legacy than an extra 5 million dollars per year.  I mean even at my job I’ve offered to take a lower raise in order to get help that makes my job easier.  

Dalvin Cook (chest) remained limited at Thursday's practice. Cook couldn't finish what he started in Week 13, exiting Monday night's game in Seattle with a chest injury. However, the third-year workhorse has been adamant about playing Sunday against Detroit and his presence at practice the past two days puts him on track to do exactly that.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer is not ruling out Adam Thielen (hamstring) for Sunday's game against the Lions. "I think he’s got a good opportunity this week (to play), so we’ll see," Zimmer said Thursday. "He’s working really hard. He obviously wants to get out there with his guys. ... When he's ready, he's ready." Thielen has played just once since Week 7, but Zimmer said he hasn't had any recent setbacks. Despite Zimmer's optimistic language, Thielen's back-to-back DNPs on Wednesday/Thursday bode poorly for his odds of suiting up, especially in such an easily-winnable game.

14 minutes ago, Golfman said:

There will always be GMs/Owners who want to put fans in the stands and take the bait. Also, would it would do over the long-term is bring the difference between the top paid guy at a position and the 20th paid guy closer. Put another way, the top deals will be for less money across the board if everyone figures it out. 

If this logic works for trades, the same logic will work for player salary. I see the logic your using, but I don't see it actually happening when it comes time to signing the Superstar QB.  

Edited by KingOfTheNorth

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Really though, I’m surprised no other quarterbacks have copied Brady.  You’d think there’d be one QB more interested in winning and his legacy than an extra 5 million dollars per year.  I mean even at my job I’ve offered to take a lower raise in order to get help that makes my job easier.  

I'm not.  Football careers are short and no other QB in the NFL has a wife who's worth 400 million dollars and a career that's not going anywhere.    

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

What if your job traded you away for a few future promising new hires?

• Like 1

The QB discussion is hilarious.  I wish it would happen just so I could watch chaos envelop locker rooms and fan bases as NFL teams spend their highest value draft picks to replace their elite young QB's to avoid paying a market value contract.  I especially liked the comment on how QB has become one of the easiest positions to play.  Makes me wonder why half the QB1's around the league suck, to say nothing of the QB2's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Golfman said:

LOL! You don't think that is happening all the time already. It's a dog eat dog world and you don't want to be caught wearing milk bone underwear. 

Businesses are not sending their best young employees packing for promising new hires.  The real world problem is retaining your top talent.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Malfatron said:

What if your job traded you away for a few future promising new hires?

We could always ask Favre.  Of course that was in year 15(ish) of his career instead of year 5.  I wonder why fans go and on about why it is so rare to replace one elite QB with another when QB is so easy to play.

NFC Playoff Rankings:
New Orleans  (10+2)
Seattle (10+2)
Green Bay (9+3)
Dallas (6+7)
San Francisco (10+2)
Minnesota (8+4)

The "We Dont Think We're Out Of It" gang:
Los Angeles Rams (7+5)
Chicago (7+6)
Philadelphia (5+7)

The "Got No Shot" crew: