Jump to content
Leader

NFL News & Notes

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Norm said:

Serious question. Assume all this is true, they did film The sideline for a qtr. Why the **** are they doing this?

It's standard procedure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

Nope.

Smith, even with Hicks out, had been playing very well in the weeks leading up to his season-ending injury.

He had a pick against the Rams in week 11 and "was playing some of his best ball in the last month, where he recorded at least 10 tackles in four of five games." https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/12/09/chicago-bears-roster-moves-roquan-smith-injured-reserve-devante-bond-xavier-crawford-dewayne-hendrix/

Didn't you JUST cite Martinez's poor PFF grade? 

Blake Martinez - 60.0
Roquan Smith - 52.4

The interception against the Rams he should never have been in the area.  There were two other Rams defenders (3 total) and Goff still threw the ball. 

You're wrong and you're never going to admit it.  Roquan Smith is terrible, he's just terribly fast at being terrible.

Nick Kwiatkoski by the way?  79.8

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cakeshoppe said:

Yeah but they were probably all 6 yards downfield

He's not gonna respond to you.  The article he used was bearswire.usetoday

He's gonna need a better call to authority to convince everyone using a first round pick on an ILB is a good move considering Martinez and Kwiatkoski are both outplaying Smith and both were 4th round picks while Smith was 8th overall. 

And he's never going to respond either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Didn't you JUST cite Martinez's poor PFF grade? 

Blake Martinez - 60.0
Roquan Smith - 52.4

The interception against the Rams he should never have been in the area.  There were two other Rams defenders (3 total) and Goff still threw the ball. 

You're wrong and you're never going to admit it.  Roquan Smith is terrible, he's just terribly fast at being terrible.

Nick Kwiatkoski by the way?  79.8

There is no question that Roquan Smith had a very poor start to the season, due in no small part to off the field issues that led him to missing one game and playing terribly in others.

But Smith was also playing much better the past several weeks, which is the point I made. Correctly.

And by citing their respective PFF grades are you advocating for GB to sign the soon to be free agent Kwit (79.8) over Just A Guy Blake Martinez (60.0)?

Interesting thought. 

PS did you happen to catch the name of the stiff playing OLB on the rejuvenated Rams D who is currently sporting a 59.1 PFF grade?

Hint, it isn't Fowler, Ebukam, or even Okoronkwo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheOnlyThing said:

There is no question that Roquan Smith had a very poor start to the season, due in no small part to off the field issues that led him to missing one game and playing terribly in others.

Because he's a bad player.

Quote

But Smith was also playing much better the past several weeks, which is the point I made. Correctly.

Incorrectly actually.  The interception I've already outlined.  He shouldn't have been where he was, and Goff threw a terrible pass.  You want to say he was playing better in the past several weeks and you can go ahead and say that, but I'll say that 10 tackles and 2 sacks against the Lions is not terribly impressive. 

Quote

And by citing their respective PFF grades are you advocating for GB to sign the soon to be free agent Kwit (79.8) over Just A Guy Blake Martinez (60.0)?

Yes.  Lol.  I said that 4 weeks ago.  Four weeks ago I said we should sign Kwiatkoski. 

Quote

PS did you happen to catch the name of the stiff playing OLB on the rejuvenated Rams D who is currently sporting a 59.1 PFF grade?

Yes.  Matthews is no world beater at EDGE anymore.  That was never my argument.  Still, he's wildly more effective when put in a position to succeed based on his abilities. 

https://www.therams.com/video/clay-matthews-flies-off-the-edge-to-plant-teddy-b-for-major-loss

https://www.therams.com/video/clay-matthews-forces-fourth-down-with-big-sack

The man has 8 sacks in 10 games with 2 forced fumbles.  With a cap hit of 3.5 million dollars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  Lol.  I said that 4 weeks ago.  Four weeks ago I said we should sign Kwiatkoski. 

 I have never contended that the only way to improve the ILB position is by spending a 1st round pick on the position. 

If Gute thinks Kwit or some other free agent is the guy to improve upon Just A Guy Blake, go get em and you will have been proved prescient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yes.  Matthews is no world beater at EDGE anymore. ... The man has 8 sacks.

OLines have to concentrate on Brockers, Fowler, and the best defensive lineman in the NFL so Clay can play chase and tackle a QB with abandon again that is true. 

Yet, he still has a ****ty PFF score for very good reason.

But his poor overall play is hardly anything new.

In fact, Matthews' 8 sacks this season represent the most sacks he has had as an OLBer since 2013.

His last four seasons in GB, Matthews had 3.5, 7.5, 5, and 6.5 sacks, respectively while playing OLB.

Despite all the excuses that were made for him, Mathews has not been a world beater at EDGE for a long time.

He was grossly overpaid for his performance during his second contract in GB  ... something some of Clay's fans refuse to acknowledge to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

OLines have to concentrate on Brockers, Fowler, and the best defensive lineman in the NFL so Clay can play chase and tackle a QB with abandon again that is true. 

Yet, he still has a ****ty PFF score for very good reason.

But his poor overall play is hardly anything new.

In fact, Matthews' 8 sacks this season represent the most sacks he has had as an OLBer since 2013.

His last four seasons in GB, Matthews had 3.5, 7.5, 5, and 6.5 sacks, respectively while playing OLB.

Despite all the excuses that were made for him, Mathews has not been a world beater at EDGE for a long time.

He was grossly overpaid for his performance during his second contract in GB  ... something some of Clay's fans refuse to acknowledge to this day.

He was not overpaid.  Guess what... It takes money to sign veterans.  Preston Smith has a rating of 68.9 and he’s getting paid three times as much as Clay is this year.  Fackrell is gonna get paid 7-10 million per by some team next year.  There is a finite amount of serviceable EDGE rushers in this league and it’s gonna cost you to have one locked up for long.  
 

2017 Matthews was still beating the man across from him in 2 seconds.  The defensive backs on his team were getting beat in 1.5.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom Pelissero -  Saints DE Marcus Davenport suffered a significant foot injury in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery. A big loss for that defense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tom Pelissero -  Saints DE Marcus Davenport suffered a significant foot injury in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery. A big loss for that defense.

Ouch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leader said:

Tom Pelissero -  Saints DE Marcus Davenport suffered a significant foot injury in Sunday’s loss to the 49ers and is expected to undergo season-ending surgery. A big loss for that defense.

 

45 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Ouch

They lose Davenport. The 49ers lose their center and Sherman is out a few weeks.  . The Seahawks lose their back up RB, Penny. 

Those teams each got a little worse by any measure. Not enough to put us in front of them, but those are significant players lost to those teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Didn't you JUST cite Martinez's poor PFF grade? 

Blake Martinez - 60.0
Roquan Smith - 52.4

The interception against the Rams he should never have been in the area.  There were two other Rams defenders (3 total) and Goff still threw the ball. 

You're wrong and you're never going to admit it.  Roquan Smith is terrible, he's just terribly fast at being terrible.

Nick Kwiatkoski by the way?  79.8

 

I'd take Kwiatkoski in a heart beat over Smith.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NFC Playoff Rankings:
San Francisco (11+2)
Green Bay (10+3)
New Orleans  (10+2)
Dallas (6+7)
Seattle (10+3)
Minnesota (9+4)

The "We Dont Think We're Out Of It" Gang:
Los Angeles Rams (8+5)
Chicago (7+6)
Philadelphia (6+7)

The "Got No Shot" crew:
Tampa Bay (6+7)
And below.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Golfman said:

 

They lose Davenport. The 49ers lose their center and Sherman is out a few weeks.  . The Seahawks lose their back up RB, Penny. 

Those teams each got a little worse by any measure. Not enough to put us in front of them, but those are significant players lost to those teams. 

Another body blow for the Saints losing Sheldon Rankins for the year. I don't wish injury on anybody but no denying this keeps improving GB chances when the top teams are losing front line players. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001086793/article/sheldon-rankins-suffered-significant-ankle-injury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×