NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, SSG said:

They aren't worse though.  There was absolutely no drop off from Callahan and Amos to Shrine and HHCD. If extending Fuller and Jackson were in Chicago's plan Amos and Callahan were not.  

Quit saying Skrine is better than or no drop off from Callahan.  Callahan had 2 sacks and 2 interceptions and was graded as elite last year.  Skrine has been very okay and is rated below average. 

You spent 4 years saying how much Clinton-Dix sucks and now you're saying he's no drop off from Amos. 

You don't plan on getting worse at nickle corner or starting safety.  You do it because you had to, and the Bears had to.  You're out of your damn mind if you think the Bears prefer Clinton-Dix to Amos.  You're out of your damn mind if you think the Bears prefer to get older and save 2 million at nickle corner. 

Like I said previously, it's way to premature to say the Mack trade had a long term effect on Chicago.  His sack total is down this year in the new defense but he's still be a dominate player.  Heck, PFF has him rated higher than Zadarius right now.  

It's dominant.  And he's rated higher by 4 points, getting paid 4 million more this year, 6 million more next year at a year older. 

It already has had a long-term effect.  You're just too stubborn to see it.  I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who thinks .4 points on PFF is significantly high enough to bring it up or who uses dominate in place of dominant. 

25 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

They don't have more cap than us, that's wrong. They are strapped.

Also using the production we got from our #12 pick this year is horrible reasoning for saying that the picks they gave up weren't valuable. 

The Bears are cash strapped with a bad QB, that's the definition of going all in and failing. They have no money nor picks to upgrade the most important position on the team.

Aren't you Mr Accountability? Letting the Bears management off the hook for a massive commitment of picks and money they made that has yielded them 0 playoff wins through 2 seasons. I'd hold them more accountable than that.

I guess I was looking at 2019's cap, which they have more space.  Next year they do have less space than us available.

No more horrible than assuming every single pick given up is a high end starter.

I'm not letting the Bears off the hook for anything, I'm simply saying that Mack isn't the terrible player some make him out to be and that CURRENTLY that deal isnt' the future destroyng deal that it's being made out to be.  Losing their DC and missing on players like Floyd and Trubisky have been far more detrimental to the team than trading for Mack who's still playing at a high level.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Do you understand what opportunity cost is? No one cares about Mack's performance. It's Mack's performance vs the opportunity cost of what they gave up to add Mack. Mack doesn't play all the other positions on the field, just one.

No, Mack is .4 better on PFF than Z. Smith so it was all worth it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Do you understand what opportunity cost is? No one cares about Mack's performance. It's Mack's performance vs the opportunity cost of what they gave up to add Mack. Mack doesn't play all the other positions on the field, just one.

No star does. 

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Quit saying Skrine is better than or no drop off from Callahan.  Callahan had 2 sacks and 2 interceptions and was graded as elite last year.  Skrine has been very okay and is rated below average. 

You spent 4 years saying how much Clinton-Dix sucks and now you're saying he's no drop off from Amos. 

You don't plan on getting worse at nickle corner or starting safety.  You do it because you had to, and the Bears had to.  You're out of your damn mind if you think the Bears prefer Clinton-Dix to Amos.  You're out of your damn mind if you think the Bears prefer to get older and save 2 million at nickle corner. 

It's dominant.  And he's rated higher by 4 points, getting paid 4 million more this year, 6 million more next year at a year older. 

It already has had a long-term effect.  You're just too stubborn to see it.  I'm not going to get into an argument with someone who thinks .4 points on PFF is significantly high enough to bring it up or who uses dominate in place of dominant. 

Why because it doesn't support your agenda?  Callahan also missed the last 4 games last year and hasn't played a down of football this year.  You can make him out to be an irreplaceable difference maker but he's not.  The drop off from Callahan to Skrine has been minimal at best.  

I didn't spend 4 years saying anything about HHCD and what he before this year is absolutely irrelevant.  Funny that you expect me to ignore how he's played this year because of an opinion about him when he was a Packer.  4 years ago HHCD was an All Pro, I can tell you for a fact that I wasn't telling anyone how much he sucked then.

And you are out of your mind if you can tell me with a straight face that Khalil Mack's contract was the only reason that kept them from giving Callahan 2 million more per year.  

i'm not too stubborn to see anything.  You've got the agenda and the need to feel right about any piece of rubbish that leaves your mouth.  

Where did I say significantly higher?  I guess it's easier to try to make Mack out to be a terrible player while conveniently ignoring that he rates higher in your beloved ranking system that you put before anything?  It's the whole, look at PFF, it's the end all be all of everything when it supports my argument but lets ignore it in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE it doesn't support what I'm saying.  

i stand by what i said previously.  While I don't love the deal for Chicago I don't see it being the franchise destroyer it's made out to be.  It it was, we'd have got Fuller when he signed our offer.   

Edited by SSG

18 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I think Ebron would do terrible here.  Lions likely gave him no chances for coaching reasons I would imagine, and Luck gave him chances.  I think that’s the best explanation for Ebron, and that wouldn’t work with Aaron.  

It’s not about athleticism or getting open with Aaron, it’s about being route sure or whatever you want to call it.  Marcellus Bennett had I know it’s a T but autocorrect was on pace to shatter Cook’s targets.  The most targets Finley ever had was in 2011 at 92.  Richard Rodgers has 92 in 2015.  

And for the record, I wanted Ebron instead of Graham in the first place.

And one final edit, pretty sure Ebron is done with the 1/2 year deals.  He’s gonna cash in.

I think he would have cashed had he done anything this year. We'll see. If he does, good for him. 

Just now, SSG said:

by what i said previously.  Currently, the Mack deal hasn't had any sort of detrimental effect on Chicago.  

You stand by being wrong.  If you can't see the harm in paying a 29-year-old defensive player 26 million dollars per year starting next year then there's no point in discussing it with you. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

Why because it doesn't support your agenda?  Callahan also missed the last 4 games last year and hasn't played a down of football this year.  You can make him out to be an irreplaceable difference maker but he's not.  The drop off from Callahan to Skrine has been minimal at best.  

I didn't spend 4 years saying anything about HHCD and what he before this year is absolutely irrelevant.  Funny that you expect me to ignore how he's played this year because of an opinion about him when he was a Packer.  4 years ago HHCD was an All Pro, I can tell you for a fact that I wasn't telling anyone how much he sucked then.

And you are out of your mind if you can tell me with a straight face that Khalil Mack's contract was the only reason that kept them from giving Callahan 2 million more per year.  

i'm not too stubborn to see anything.  You've got the agenda and the need to feel right about any piece of rubbish that leaves your mouth.  

Where did I say significantly higher?  I guess it's easier to try to make Mack out to be a terrible player while conveniently ignoring that he rates higher in your beloved ranking system that you put before anything?  It's the whole, look at PFF, it's the end all be all of everything when it supports my argument but lets ignore it in EVERY SINGLE INSTANCE it doesn't support what I'm saying.  

i stand by what i said previously.  Currently, the Mack deal hasn't had any sort of detrimental effect on Chicago.  

1. Callahan is better than Skrine and Amos is better than HaHa. The former are players who were paid top of market contracts at the first crack at Free Agency while the latter are journeymen taking bottom of market deals. 
  2. HaHa was never an All Pro
  3. Paying a defensive player QB money is always going to play into any contract situation for a player. It may not be the only reason but it is definitely a significant one. 
  4. No one has ever said Mack was a terrible player, that makes us all look stupid
  5. Mack is rated .4 points higher than Z. Smith. That is minimal at best while the cap hit difference going forward is significant. 
  6. Paying players outside of QB historic contracts rarely works out. Top that with the draft capital used to acquire, the Bears' window to get a ring is closing fast. They are better off shopping Mack at this point. 

If Mitch was Elite this is a different conversation but he's clearly not and can't offset the amount of capital used on Mack. 

Does anyone even feel like WE would be better off with Mack at this point?  Starting next year, we'd be paying Rodgers 30 million and Mack 26 million.  56 million to two players. 

If we got Mack, we would lose:

Amos, Z, Preston.  We could probably still sign Turner. 

But where would we be at safety?  OMG, that thought is terrifying.  We would not have gotten Savage. 

Imagine being us right now with Mack and no safeties. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You stand by being wrong.  If you can't see the harm in paying a 29-year-old defensive player 26 million dollars per year starting next year then there's no point in discussing it with you. 

You are right, we are wasting your time.  You'd probably have told us how terrible it was for the Franchise back in 1993 when we gave Reggie White a league changing contract.  

18 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:
  1. Callahan is better than Skrine and Amos is better than HaHa. The former are players who were paid top of market contracts at the first crack at Free Agency while the latter are journeymen taking bottom of market deals. 
  2. HaHa was never an All Pro
  3. Paying a defensive player QB money is always going to play into any contract situation for a player. It may not be the only reason but it is definitely a significant one. 
  4. No one has ever said Mack was a terrible player, that makes us all look stupid
  5. Mack is rated .4 points higher than Z. Smith. That is minimal at best while the cap hit difference going forward is significant. 
  6. Paying players outside of QB historic contracts rarely works out. Top that with the draft capital used to acquire, the Bears' window to get a ring is closing fast. They are better off shopping Mack at this point. 

If Mitch was Elite this is a different conversation but he's clearly not and can't offset the amount of capital used on Mack. 

A matter of an opinion.  I never said they were better, I said there wasn't much of a drop off between the pairs.  The idea that Amos and Callahan are substantially better players for no other reason than the contracts they signed is absolutely laughable.

Incorrect.  HHCD was an all pro in 2016.

Paying any player a historic contract generally doesn't work out but it's not always the future destroying decision that it's being made out to be.  What happens if we don't make Reggie White the highest paid player in NFL history in 93?  We're very likely not the franchise we are today.  

22 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Believe we've established that SSG is a troll in like 50 other threads lol

Gotta love the childish "troll" tag that the kids use.  It's always easier living in a bubble where you don't have to deal with that big, scary troll who has a different opinion. What are you, 12?