NFL News & Notes

Leader

13 hours ago, Kepler said:

They should do it in the Wisconsin forest and have the players transported to the stage by miniature railroad.

The NFL is ridiculous. I don't even think this looks cool. It just looks like "omg so much money, where should we throw it all away at??? HURR DURR"

And the NFL's attempt to appeal to the Casual Fan, to the detriment of the Loyal Fan, continues full speed ahead. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, GalenaPackFan said:

And the NFL's attempt to appeal to the Casual Fan, to the detriment of the Loyal Fan, continues full speed ahead. 

I really don't get how this is detracting from the experience of the loyal fan. This sounds really fun.

Have you ever been to the NFL draft? It's awful in person. It's like watching an anthill for ten minutes at a time, then a one minute announcement, then more anthill time. For 15 damn hours. Anything to spice this up is a good thing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I really don't get how this is detracting from the experience of the loyal fan. This sounds really fun.

Have you ever been to the NFL draft? It's awful in person. It's like watching an anthill for ten minutes at a time, then a one minute announcement, then more anthill time. For 15 damn hours. Anything to spice this up is a good thing.

Last year in Nashville looked amazing.  That was an awesome setting for it.  I went to day two in Chicago a few years back and it was cold and rainy, and was boring as all hell.  I guess the previous year in Chicago was pretty awesome .. mainly because the weather was great.

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I really don't get how this is detracting from the experience of the loyal fan. This sounds really fun. Have you ever been to the NFL draft? It's awful in person. It's like watching an anthill for ten minutes at a time, then a one minute announcement, then more anthill time. For 15 damn hours. Anything to spice this up is a good thing.

I'm not interested in a Broadway (or Vegas) show however.  Players taking boat rides to a stage (if I understood that right) or some other "gala extravaganza" isnt a necessary optic IMO. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm not interested in a Broadway (or Vegas) show however.  Players taking boat rides to a stage (if I understood that right) or some other "gala extravaganza" isnt a necessary optic IMO. 

Not spending my money to go to  that dog and pony show.  Each to their own I guess.  I'll tape the whole thing, watch it afterwards and fast forward through 95% of it.  However, the girls on the strip parading around for pictures is always fun to mingle with.

Edited by coachbuns
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

The entire draft being televised is unnecessary. 

God forbid we have any fun

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

These are the same people today get upset when players celebrate, it's to be expected this would also make them grumpy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agree.

5 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Have all the fun you want. Knock yourself out. If you cant find it in Vegas, you dont know what fun is.

I think the logistics of this "draft" are hokey.  Until I see it actually happen, I'm curious how this will actually unfold in a timely way, that gives spectators along the fence of the fountain something to actually stand their all night for.  Ferrying players by boat to the floating stage?  WTH?

I go to Vegas on golf trips several times a year - have for the past 20 years.  I own property in Vegas.  I can think of better locations in Vegas to hold this dog and pony show where it could be a REAL party for those in attendance, and still create the spectacle some of you here are jonesing for.  

Edited by Sasquatch

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They should take a page out of the XFL's playbook and have the GMs fight each other for possession of a football to determine who drafts next.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Striker said:

They should take a page out of the XFL's playbook and have the GMs fight each other for possession of a football to determine who drafts next.

Okay. Who are we putting money on for the first pick? I'm not familiar with every team's GM, but this sounds interesting. I have a feeling Gute might be 11-16ish? Maybe higher?

18 minutes ago, Striker said:

The problem with this is that just becomes a case of might makes right. This shouldn’t just be about rewarding the strongest. We need a more evolved solution here. 

I’m thinking a decathlon-type event that includes jello-wrestling, dance-off, bar trivia, chess tournament, rhythmic gymnastics, competitive eating, and mock trial. The winner must be a true renaissance man. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Am I the only one who absolutely loves this idea?

I love the idea if they do it right. 

Those fountains are noisy and I hope they dont just have them continuously running. Just blast them up whenever someone gets drafted and it will work and look great.