NFL News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt -  Indianapolis does a great job hosting the Combine but I don't see it staying there long, through no fault of its own. With new stadiums coming online in LA and Vegas, the NFL moving it seems inevitable.

I’m not lobbying for or against keeping it in Indy, but there’s a pretty significant economic impact realized to communities that host the combine and the draft.  I’m not necessarily in favor of moving these two events to cities for the sole reason that they just spent a billion on new shiny buildings and the NFL wants to show them off.  I like the idea of moving these events to communities that are smaller market and could use the added GRT, and that have historical significance.  Vegas and LA don’t have a GRT problem, among other things.

Hilarious!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28810846/bears-expected-add-veteran-qb-sources-say

da bares just can’t get stuff right, be it a:

Kicker-->see: Robby Gould, and the parade of kickers after him

Head Coach-->see: Marc Trestman, John Fox

Drafting a QB--> see: trading UP for Mitchell, passing on Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson.

!!!  () - : #

Edited by JQ1

Bill Huber / SI  -  As expected, the Green Bay Packers’ No. 1 priority among this year’s free-agent linebackers is the Los Angeles Rams’ Cory Littleton.

Littleton has risen from undrafted free agent in 2016 to one of the most-coveted players, regardless of position, in this free-agent class.

In two seasons as a starter, Littleton has recorded 259 tackles, five interceptions and 22 passes defensed. Among linebackers, Littleton ranks second interceptions, first in passes defensed and sixth in tackles during that span. In those two seasons, Littleton has beaten Blake Martinez’s four-year totals in interceptions (three) and passes defensed (17).

“All options are on the table,” Rams general manager Les Snead said when asked about Littleton at the Scouting Combine this week. “We have a franchise and a transition available right now. There hasn’t been a collective bargaining agreement so I think at that point we’re still going through a lot of things, trying to determine the best strategy to get as many of our good football players who’ve helped us win a lot of games over the last three years back.

Littleton will not be cheap. Pro Football Focus projected a contract worth $12 million per season; an NFC executive, expecting just about every linebacker-needy team to focus on Littleton, predicted he’d get more than $13 million per season.

Littleton has become a true X-factor. According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams ran dime personnel on a league-high 55.3 percent of their defensive snaps vs. the pass; the Packers’ dime rate of 27 percent ranked fourth, so he’d be an immediate fit for how defensive coordinator Mike Pettine likes to play. At 228 pounds, he’s never going to be a dominant run defender. PFF has a stat called run stops, which essentially measures impact tackles (such as a first-and-10 tackle that limits the play to 3 yards or less). In 2019, Martinez had 31 and ranked 35th among off-the-ball linebackers with a run-stop percentage of 8.1. Littleton had 23 and ranked 73rd with a run-stop percentage of 5.8.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

Bill Huber / SI  -  As expected, the Green Bay Packers’ No. 1 priority among this year’s free-agent linebackers is the Los Angeles Rams’ Cory Littleton.

Littleton has risen from undrafted free agent in 2016 to one of the most-coveted players, regardless of position, in this free-agent class.

In two seasons as a starter, Littleton has recorded 259 tackles, five interceptions and 22 passes defensed. Among linebackers, Littleton ranks second interceptions, first in passes defensed and sixth in tackles during that span. In those two seasons, Littleton has beaten Blake Martinez’s four-year totals in interceptions (three) and passes defensed (17).

“All options are on the table,” Rams general manager Les Snead said when asked about Littleton at the Scouting Combine this week. “We have a franchise and a transition available right now. There hasn’t been a collective bargaining agreement so I think at that point we’re still going through a lot of things, trying to determine the best strategy to get as many of our good football players who’ve helped us win a lot of games over the last three years back.

Littleton will not be cheap. Pro Football Focus projected a contract worth $12 million per season; an NFC executive, expecting just about every linebacker-needy team to focus on Littleton, predicted he’d get more than $13 million per season.

Littleton has become a true X-factor. According to Pro Football Focus, the Rams ran dime personnel on a league-high 55.3 percent of their defensive snaps vs. the pass; the Packers’ dime rate of 27 percent ranked fourth, so he’d be an immediate fit for how defensive coordinator Mike Pettine likes to play. At 228 pounds, he’s never going to be a dominant run defender. PFF has a stat called run stops, which essentially measures impact tackles (such as a first-and-10 tackle that limits the play to 3 yards or less). In 2019, Martinez had 31 and ranked 35th among off-the-ball linebackers with a run-stop percentage of 8.1. Littleton had 23 and ranked 73rd with a run-stop percentage of 5.8.

Dude, this is some legendary lazy journalism work.

>Get the call from Littleton's agent.

>Report that the Packers have Littleton as their #1 priority free agent

>In the article, quote only the Rams General Manager

>Include the nugget about how Littleton will get 13million per

>Release the agent written PFF numbers writeup.

Do you think he actually wrote it, or do you think he just published what the agent emailed him. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Dude, this is some legendary lazy journalism work.

>Get the call from Littleton's agent.

>Report that the Packers have Littleton as their #1 priority free agent

>In the article, quote only the Rams General Manager

>Include the nugget about how Littleton will get 13million per

>Release the agent written PFF numbers writeup.

Do you think he actually wrote it, or do you think he just published what the agent emailed him.

LOL I'm confident he wrote it, but I'll leave the literary critiquing to you.  I found it informative.

Edited by Leader

Green's not going anywhere....

ESPN -  The Cincinnati Bengals currently plan to use the franchise tag on wide receiver A.J. Green sources told ESPN's Dan Graziano and Jeremy Fowler. The Bengals want Green in Cincinnati in 2020 no matter what, either through the tag or a longer deal, the sources said. The tag is estimated to be worth around $18.5 million, according to overthecap.com. The two sides have until July 15 to reach a long-term deal.

12 hours ago, Leader said:

Andrew Brandt -  Indianapolis does a great job hosting the Combine but I don't see it staying there long, through no fault of its own. With new stadiums coming online in LA and Vegas, the NFL moving it seems inevitable.

I am against giving LA anything.  Screw the Rams and screw Kroenke.  

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LA doesn't support anything but the Lakers, the NFL needs to stop giving it stuff, not a football city. Combine is fine, in Indy heaven forbid anything take place in the Midwest anymore.

There are 3 big events that are neutral site options for the NFL

Super Bowl -- SF, LA, Arizona, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, TB, Atlanta, Las Vegas and maybe Jacksonville

Draft -- Seattle, Denver, KC, CHI, GB, Buffalo, NE, NY, Was, PHI, BAL, TEN, Car. Pittsburgh, CLE, CIN

Combine -- Detroit, INDY, Minnesota

Rotate those events and let more markets have some share in those attractions.

42 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

LA doesn't support anything but the Lakers....

Well, being a Laker fan, I can commiserate in some way.

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Combine is fine in Indy. Heaven forbid anything take place in the Midwest anymore.

I agree regards Indy.....primarily because of its central location and available infrastructure.

45 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The NFL needs to stop giving it stuff, not a football city.....

Marketing is like a shark. You stop doing it, you start dying.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

There are 3 big events that are neutral site options for the NFL

Super Bowl -- SF, LA, Arizona, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, TB, Atlanta, Las Vegas and maybe Jacksonville

Draft -- Seattle, Denver, KC, CHI, GB, Buffalo, NE, NY, Was, PHI, BAL, TEN, Car. Pittsburgh, CLE, CIN

Combine -- Detroit, INDY, Minnesota

Rotate those events and let more markets have some share in those attractions.

I'd be OK with the Combine moving around the domed northern teams. I'm just sick of everything sports related having to be in NY or LA. There's so much to do in LA, they wouldn't give a crap about the Combine. 

Just now, Leader said:

Well, being a Laker fan, I can commiserate in some way.

I agree regards Indy.....primarily because of its central location and available infrastructure.

Marketing is like a shark. You stop doing it, you start dying.

The Combine is a non public event, the TV audience won't care where it is. Just nice to give a city like Indy the influx of cash from the NFL being there for a week. 

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The Combine is a non public event, the TV audience won't care where it is. Just nice to give a city like Indy the influx of cash from the NFL being there for a week. 

Fine with me. Just say'in