NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

I"m not really referencing Adams/Diggs there.

Adams, Cobb, Jones/Ty/Williams/, Graham are pretty damn comparable to who you mentioned for the  vikes.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSm22B9ruk3SB14kQivG6k

They are, I was talking fantasy wise. We should have more passing TDs to go around to give Adams a clear lean on Diggs imo

33 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

That is garbage. Adam Thielen had a GREAT season, don't downplay what he is because of where he came from. I would take Adams over both of them, but Diggs is not far behind if he can stay healthy

First of all, Thielen's actually had 2 great seasons, not just one. Secondly, you completely missed the point: Diggs is not a WR1 on his own team. Thielen is the WR1. 

If you compile every major receiving category over the last two years (yards, YPC, TDs, Catch %, etc.), rank each one of them, and then create a composite of every one of those rankings, Thielen is 4th in the NFL:

1. Antonio Brown
  2. Julio Jones
  3. Brandin Cooks
  4. Adam Thielen
  5. Travis Kelce
  6. Michael Thomas
  7. Doug Baldwin
  8. T.Y. Hilton
  9. DeAndre Hopkins
  10. A.J. Green
  11. Golden Tate
  12. Jarvis Landry
  13. Davante Adams
  14. Tyreek Hill
  15. Odell Beckham, Jr. 
  16. Stefon Diggs

45. Randall Cobb

On 6/2/2018 at 4:13 PM, pollino14 said:

For this year

AB, Julio, OBJ, Hopkins 

I think he belongs in this tier but here’s how I’d rank them 

AJ Green, Davante, Michael Thomas, Mike Evans 

not a huge Mike Evans fan but wouldn’t argue if someone had him ahead.

Given the SIGNIFICANT gap in production between Adams and the 3 you named, I can't possibly put him in with that group.  Thomas, Green and Evans have 11 combined seasons with 10 of those seasons being 1000 yard campaigns.  The only year that wasn't was Green's injury shortened 2016 season in which he had over 950 yards in 10 games.  Adams is in year 5 and has yet to meet that rather pedestrian milestone among quality NFL WRs.

Before I start putting him in elite company I'm going to want to see elite production.  Up until this last year,  he's never been GB's best WR much less one that produces along the lines of one of the NFL's 10 best.

If I was ranking NFL WRs he'd probably be closer to the 15ish mark than the top 10.  

Edited by SSG
  • Like 1

Every now and then, I find myself in agreement with SSG. I love Davante and am really excited to see what he does this year, but I'm surprised people (even non-Packers fans) are so willing to rank him in the top 10 at his position. He needs to do it over a full season before I'm convinced.

53 minutes ago, SSG said:

Given the SIGNIFICANT gap in production between Adams and the 3 you named, I can't possibly put him in with that group.  Thomas, Green and Evans have 11 combined seasons with 10 of those seasons being 1000 yard campaigns.  The only year that wasn't was Green's injury shortened 2016 season in which he had over 950 yards in 10 games.  Adams is in year 5 and has yet to meet that rather pedestrian milestone among quality NFL WRs.

Before I start putting him in elite company I'm going to want to see elite production.  Up until this last year,  he's never been GB's best WR much less one that produces along the lines of one of the NFL's 10 best.

If I was ranking NFL WRs he'd probably be closer to the 15ish mark than the top 10.  

Think you need to project going forward.

Davante had 997 yards and 12 TDs with Brett Hundley for like half the year. He’s going to have a huge year this year with Rodgers.

4 hours ago, pollino14 said:

Davante had 997 yards and 12 TDs with Brett Hundley for like half the year. He’s going to have a huge year this year with Rodgers.

How much room for growth do Adams numbers really have? As much as he’ll benefit from Rodgers putting the ball in tight places, Rodgers doesn’t need his receivers to get a ton of separation, or as broadcasters love to say Rodgers “throws the receiver open”. Last year Adams was the only one reliably getting separation and had an established relationship with Hundley on 2nd team offense prior seasons. I just don’t see his numbers being in line with league leaders this season

4 hours ago, pollino14 said:

The 997 yard season was a full 16 game season with AR12 and BY FAR the best of his career.  In that season he didn't have to deal with #1 CBs or double coverage as that attention was paid to Jordy Nelson who was pretty clearly our best and most productive WR.  I hope you are right because if he's going to replace Jordy we're going to have to see a substantial uptick in production.  He's being paid like an elite NFL WR despite not having the production.  

I like Adams a lot but I  want to see substantially more production.  Hopefully he's able to get open more, get more targets and give us that production without having Jordy Nelson on the other side.  

Edited by SSG

2 hours ago, fattlipp said:

It really wouldn't be surprised if Cobb puts up better #s than Adams if he stays healthy,  Defenses will key on Adams and Graham IMO,

Given how mediocre Cobb has looked since singing his massive contract I'd be extremely surprised if he lead the team in any receiving category.  He's much closer to being JAG than a pro bowl caliber WR IMO.  

2 hours ago, SSG said:

The 997 yard season was a full 16 game season with AR12 and BY FAR the best of his career.  In that season he didn't have to deal with #1 CBs or double coverage as that attention was paid to Jordy Nelson who was pretty clearly our best and most productive WR.  I hope you are right because if he's going to replace Jordy we're going to have to see a substantial uptick in production.  He's being paid like an elite NFL WR despite not having the production.  

I like Adams a lot but I  want to see substantially more production.  Hopefully he's able to get open more, get more targets and give us that production without having Jordy Nelson on the other side.  

2016 season

Nelson 97 Rec for 1257 yards on 152 targets.   8.3 yards per target

Adams 75 Rec for 997 on 121 targets 8.2 yards per target

To think that Adams with an additional 30 targets can't put up similar numbers to Nelson is significantly selling Adams short.  Not to mention Adams was in his 3rd NFL season, Nelson is his 9th season.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SSG said:

OK, it's fine to hold that opinion and I agree with much of it but you can't skew it for a guy like Green due to injuries then not mention injuries for Adams ( some of which, concussions, shouldn't be made to view him as injury prone).