NFL News & Notes

Leader

Jacob Westendorf -  The only path to a Clay Matthews return is as OLB4. I doubt he wants that. I doubt the Packers want that.

• Ross Uglem - Disagree on that. I think he can play the Blake role, or the Goodson role, and can move around the formation. I don't think they'd sign him to put him in the Fackrell role. I think he'd come in on heavy run downs and then play somewhere in the 1-4-6 dime joint.

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Ummm, Aaron Jones has been talked about getting extended for over 7 a year. You don't pay RBs, period! 

If you are referencing me...and my suggestion of how an extension could look....it was 3 years, $20M.  Under 7 a year.

If not...carry on.

I do agree with the premise of not paying running backs.  Also...I don't view a $6-$7M/average on a short term deal as "paying a running back".

When I see "paying a running back", I interpret it as "paying a premium for a running back".

Curious @Golfman .....  Austin Ekler's contract.  4 for $24.5M.  He got paid, right?  But was he paid a premium?  And....lop 6.1M off of that deal and one year....is Jones worth it at that price, or are you simply a "Hard no" for second contracts to running backs?  No dog in this fight, I'm just curious as to how you feel about those lesser deals for RB's.

SI - Four days into free agency, the amount of money spent at wide receiver has been staggering. As in staggeringly minimal.

Through Thursday evening, just six free-agent receivers had agreed to contracts. Only one of those signed for any real money, relatively speaking, with former Packers receiver Randall Cobb agreeing to a three-year, $27 million deal with Houston after spending 2019 with Dallas.

Compare that to 2019, when six receivers signed contracts worth more than $25 million in total, seven signed deals with at least $10 million in guaranteed money and eight signed deals worth more than $7 million per season.

NFL free agency might seem like it’s strewn with Monopoly money, but it also follows the basic economic laws of supply and demand. Demand is practically nonexistent because there’s so little proven talent in free agency and so much potential talent in next month’s draft. That’s why so many teams – including the receiver-needy Green Bay Packers – have steered clear of the free-agent market.

The receiver class, however, is packed with talent.

The Falcons are literally the worst-run franchise in the NFL over the past 4 years. 

They now have 14th overall, 26th overall, 6th overall (plus a ****ton to get there), and 55th overall (Hurst trade) invested in WR/TE/IOL.

They are paying 44 million to their WR and QB.
10.5 to their center.
10.3 to their ILB.

That's just this coming season.  Next season they're paying:

Ryan - 39 million (more than Rodgers)
Jones - 23 million (to a ****ing receiver)
12.6 to Deion Jones

That's 35.6 million to the least important position on defense and offense, and they're paying their average QB 39 million. 

• Like 1

Just now, Outpost31 said:

The Falcons are literally the worst-run franchise in the NFL over the past 4 years. 

They now have 14th overall, 26th overall, 6th overall (plus a ****ton to get there), and 55th overall (Hurst trade) invested in WR/TE/IOL.

They are paying 44 million to their WR and QB.
10.5 to their center.
10.3 to their ILB.

That's just this coming season.  Next season they're paying:

Ryan - 39 million (more than Rodgers)
Jones - 23 million (to a ****ing receiver)
12.6 to Deion Jones

That's 35.6 million to the least important position on defense and offense, and they're paying their average QB 39 million. 

Run well no.

Have you seen the Jets, Rams, Texans, Browns....??

I would bet they aren't even bottom 10 if I looked at poorly run franchises recently.