NFL News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pressure package? I'm adding Clark to that and making it my nickel package lol

.....fair point lol.  Honestly you could play Smith/Gary/Clark/Clowneywith Z roving and probably just straight up win 80% of your plays on that alone against some teams.

Pettine has a type. He likes DL who are tall, heavy and/or long.

At the Jets he had Kris Jenkins (6'5") , Shaun Ellis (6'5"), Trevor Pryce (6'6"), Muhammad Wilkerson (6'4"), Snacks Harrison (6'3")

At the Bills he had Alan Branch (6'6"),  Marcell Dareus (6'3"),  Mario Williams (6'6")

At the Browns he had Desmond Bryant (6'5"), Phil Taylor (6'3") and Randy Starks (6'4"). He drafted Xavier Cooper (6'4")

He did have his outliers such as drafting Danny Shelton (6'2") and having Kyle Williams (6'1")  as a key part of the Bills defence.

When he first joined the Packers guess what the first thing we did....we brought in Muhammad Wilkerson. We drafted Keke (6'4") and continued to retain taller DE types like Montravous Adams and Dean Lowry. We had a good short player named Mike Daniels and he was gone the very next season and the money went towards Lowry's new contract. 

I just don't think Pettine would be interested in Shelby Harris based off his past history.  Early FA candidates such as DJ Reader, A'Shawn Robinson and Vernon Butler would've been right up Pettine's alley but they're all gone.  It's very possible he had interest in Danny Shelton as he originally drafted him but he's too is gone.

Maybe Snacks Harrison might be of interest to Pettine. There's not a lot left to choose from, maybe Jarran Reed but admittedly he's just below the 6'3" threshold.

4 minutes ago, Chili said:

At the Jets he had Kris Jenkins (6'5") , Shaun Ellis (6'5"), Trevor Pryce (6'6"), Muhammad Wilkerson (6'4"), Snacks Harrison (6'3")

At the Bills he had Alan Branch (6'6"),  Marcell Dareus (6'3"),  Mario Williams (6'6")

At the Browns he had Desmond Bryant (6'5"), Phil Taylor (6'3") and Randy Starks (6'4"). He drafted Xavier Cooper (6'4")

He did have his outliers such as drafting Danny Shelton (6'2") and having Kyle Williams (6'1")  as a key part of the Bills defence.

When he first joined the Packers guess what the first thing we did....we brought in Muhammad Wilkerson. We drafted Keke (6'4") and continued to retain taller DE types like Montravous Adams and Dean Lowry. We had a good short player named Mike Daniels and he was gone the very next season and the money went towards Lowry's new contract. 

I just don't think Pettine would be interested in Shelby Harris based off his past history.  Early FA candidates such as DJ Reader, A'Shawn Robinson and Vernon Butler would've been right up Pettine's alley but they're all gone.  It's very possible he had interest in Danny Shelton as he originally drafted him but he's too is gone.

Maybe Snacks Harrison might be of interest to Pettine. There's not a lot left to choose from, maybe Jarran Reed but admittedly he's just below the 6'3" threshold.

Reed was resigned by Seattle a couple days ago IIRC.

You basically just made the case for why we'll probably draft Raekwon Davis...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chili said:

I don't think Pettine had much say in drafting Danny Shelton based on reports out of that organization at the time, and Kyle Williams was on Buffalo when he got there on an untradeable contract IIRC. 

Reed is going back to Seattle, and Harrison will turn 32 this season. 

• Like 1

Daniel Greenberg -  Bleacher Report ranked the Chicago Bears signing of Jimmy Graham as the second worst move in free agency so far.

B/R: “Bears general manager Ryan Pace is running out of excuses, and he could be on his way out the door if Graham flops.”
Edited by Leader

36 minutes ago, Joe said:

You basically just made the case for why we'll probably draft Raekwon Davis...

That would be fantastic but I’m not sure he makes it to 62.  Kinda crazy how 2 yrs ago we would’ve been stoked if he even made it to 30. Who knows how the board will fall tho?

19 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Agreed, he's a bigger Z. Smith

So what's the deal with his lack of production?  I've never taken the time to actually watch Clowney's tape, but a bigger Z. Smith certainly should have been able to hit 10 sacks at least once in 6 years.  Does he just stay blocked if he doesn't win on his first move?  I mean you can see him jump out when you watch the games, but he just doesn't seem to get home like a man that big and that fast should.

15 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

So what's the deal with his lack of production?  I've never taken the time to actually watch Clowney's tape, but a bigger Z. Smith certainly should have been able to hit 10 sacks at least once in 6 years.  Does he just stay blocked if he doesn't win on his first move?  I mean you can see him jump out when you watch the games, but he just doesn't seem to get home like a man that big and that fast should.

His length hurts him at times, he doesn't play with the best leverage. He's been hurt even when he has been playing so he hasn't been 100%. The defense in Houston asked him to play a lot of head-up DE which isn't good for anybody's sack numbers. Unlike a lot of really good rushers, he hasn't been the focus point in his team's pressure package. He's frequently been asked to set the table so that other guys can eat. 

He's also a guy that for whatever reason tends to generate tremendous pressure numbers that don't fall into sacks. In 2018 he managed to do 48 pressures on 9 sacks. Zadarius Smtih this year did 50 pressures on 13.5 sacks.

15 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

didn't realize he was coming off knee scope

"Vitale underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last month after missing the final regular-season game and both playoff contests for the Packers."

Packers were sniffing around on old man Delanie Walker, maybe that's the FB plan for 2020