NFL News & Notes

Leader

Lengthy article from SI, talking about Richard Shermans' Cornerback Camp out in SF

and a quote from Richard about things going South in the Northwest

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/16/richard-sherman-aqib-talib-malcolm-butler-nfl-cornerback-summit-2018-power-rankings-mmqb

"….Yet Sherman can’t help but wonder what might have been in Seattle. The Seahawks won a single Super Bowl, after the 2013 season, and spent the next four years falling short in the playoffs against teams that couldn’t claim Seattle’s wealth of defensive talent. Now the band is broken up, with Michael Bennett, Kam Chancellor and Sherman out of the fold, and Earl Thomas in a contract dispute that could lead to a trade out of Seattle.

“It’s just unfortunate. It’s really unfortunate,” Sherman says. “I think it’ll all come out when they do the 30 for 30. Mistakes and poor judgment on things ruined what could have been a really special deal. You don’t have much left right now. And to say you’re not going to pay Earl Thomas is just ... There’s no decline in play there. He’s played the game the right way. Who do you have to pay? You have the two best linebackers in the game. You have the quarterback. You have a great wide receiver in Doug [Baldwin]. And you’re paying Duane Brown.

“They’ve lost their way. It’s as simple as that. They’ve just lost their way. When you make too many mistakes over a long period of time, you kind of dig yourself a hole. And then when you backtrack, you gotta make a bunch of rash decisions to try and fill the hole and hope that it holds up.

“When we were rolling it was an environment for pure competitors. When it becomes something else, then it’s more difficult to thrive in, and I think that’s what was tough on Earl, that’s what was tough on a lot of guys. But I think as it kind of progressed, you start seeing the writing on the wall. You’re like, ‘Not only are they probably moving in a different direction,’ but it’s like, ‘Ah, well, I kind of want to move in a different direction, too.’ So it happens like that. All great things must come to an end, I guess "

It always amazed me how it took so long for people to see how ridiculous personnel decisions were in Seattle. 

John Schneider had three good drafts and then has done NOTHING good for six straight years. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sea/draft.htm

Look at his drafts starting in 2013.  Christine Michael, Paul Richardson, Frank Clark, Germain Ifedi, Maliik McDowell, Rashad Penny.  Those are his first picks over the past 6 years. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It always amazed me how it took so long for people to see how ridiculous personnel decisions were in Seattle. 

John Schneider had three good drafts and then has done NOTHING good for six straight years. 

Look at his drafts starting in 2013.  Christine Michael, Paul Richardson, Frank Clark, Germain Ifedi, Maliik McDowell, Rashad Penny.  Those are his first picks over the past 6 years. 

Scot McCloughan had three good drafts then resigned

Lol my phone autocorrected to re-signed the one time I actually didn't want it to.

21 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

That said, I still think that Schneider is better than Elway.  I mean he gets props for not screwing up the #2 overall pick and winning the Peyton Manning sweepstakes.  So savvy! 

Yeah, he's the worst.  Ted Thompson drafted well and relied almost exclusively on the draft for over 10 years and didn't have a team fall apart until just this past year with an injured QB.  His fault was not supplementing the draft enough, but if he would have done that, he would have been a top 10 all-time GM.  Elway and Schneider and now Howie Roseman get all the credit in the world for winning one Super Bowl.  Gotta wait and see how a GM does over a long period to really judge.

Didn't hurt Roseman that he got so many first round picks out of bad trades from the Vikings and other teams. 

A lot of these guys - Schneider, Roseman, Speilman in Minnesota- they get a lot of credit for their early success.  It is much easier early in a GM's stay because they take over a bad team which allows them to draft early as well as giving them cap space because they lack the top players that have to be paid large amounts.

It gets hard when the team gets to the top of the league- players get big egos and demand to get paid,  and the team no longer drafts where there a players with actual first round grades.

Philly fans are going gaga over Roseman, but they have a cap mess. They talk about all the cap space they can clear with cuts, but then what?  Have to have players to fill the spot.  I am not convinced he is the wizard they think he is.

It is really hard to keep a team on top.

• Like 1

On 20/07/2018 at 3:43 PM, Outpost31 said:

That is because you don't want to judge a guy too early. If you did that you would have decided that Schneider was an excellent drafter, after 3 years.

Many people do not appreciate how big a part luck can play in drafting. I think Schneider was pretty lucky early on in Seattle, then unlucky for twice as long. Overall grade,  below average.

I do wonder if his early success (the first year or two) relied in part upon early evaluations and the web of connections of other scouts, still in Green Bay (which is why, when he had to rely entirely on evaluations just by himself and other Seattle scouts, he fell back). Maybe it is mostly down to good/bad luck, but I cannot help but wonder.

By contrast, i think Green Bay have been (overall) a little bit unlucky in their drafting over the years - not hugely unlucky, but just a little bit below the mean, luck-wise. The talent of your GM (and souts) is always trying to overcome the vagaries of luck in your selections.

On 7/22/2018 at 2:29 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

By contrast, i think Green Bay have been (overall) a little bit unlucky in their drafting over the years - not hugely unlucky, but just a little bit below the mean, luck-wise. The talent of your GM (and scouts) is always trying to overcome the vagaries of luck in your selections.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbO10N2W4AA6jDF.jpg

That picture is from Pro Football Reference and uses the same AV ( approximate value)  that Squire used in his excellent thread on the topic.

( If I wasn't such an unlucky dork, I would post the actual pic instead of the dang link)

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbO10N2W4AA6jDF.jpg

That picture is from Pro Football Reference and uses the same AV ( approximate value)  that Squire used in his excellent thread on the topic.

( If I wasn't such an unlucky dork, I would post the actual pic instead of the dang link)

I don't really understand what that table means. It suggests GB has drafted well (presumably it takes into account the draft spot).......but what does it actually mean ? Seattle looks like it is ranked too high, unless the chart covers 9 or more years.