NFL News & Notes

Leader

39 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Packers fans are going to have a REALLY tough time if Jimmy Graham puts up 55/750/6 this year. 

It would mean the Bears literally had no other options. I was against the signing from the beginning though when I saw the contract. Time will tell and I don't hate Jimmy Graham. I've always been against paying aging players premium money. The odds are stacked against you getting the ROI you think you are going to get. It's a young mans game. 

Having said that this might be the year to stick with veterans. I'm expecting at least some of the off season work to be interrupted by the China Virus. It's going to be very difficult for rookies to learn and get up to speed if this happens. It will also be difficult for those 2nd and 3rd year leap players often take. 

Edited by Golfman

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Not really...or not me at least.

If I had to characterize what I see in Graham....he's appears to have gotten much "bulkier" than his truly productive days and slowed down a lot. He was a forerunner in the "TE with a WR body" type. He was much thinner. Quicker. Mobile. 

I see this over and over again without fail. NFL players who made their name being quick and agile, the same traits that allowed them to succeed in college and in the NFL just continue to put on muscle and become ineffective.

The coaches and the trainers need to do a better job of reigning in the players and prevent them from over training in the weight room.

We saw this with Randall Cobb, he just became top heavy and he wasn't quite the big play spark as he was earlier in his career.

I think its a reality and culture issue.

Reality because players need to put on muscle to deal with the hits especially if the player begin to lose a yard or two of pace as they age.

Culture because of all the testosterone and ego in the locker room many teammates are pressured to look the part rather than doing what's best for their career.

Edited by Chili

4 hours ago, Chili said:

I see this over and over again without fail. NFL players who made their name being quick and agile, the same traits that allowed them to succeed in college and in the NFL just continue to put on muscle and become ineffective.

The coaches and the trainers need to do a better job of reigning in the players and prevent them from over training in the weight room.

We saw this with Randall Cobb, he just became top heavy and he wasn't quite the big play spark as he was earlier in his career.

I think its a reality and culture issue.

Reality because players need to put on muscle to deal with the hits especially if the player begin to lose a yard or two of pace as they age.

Culture because of all the testosterone and ego in the locker room many teammates are pressured to look the part rather than doing what's best for their career.

Getting bullied in the NFL is real, if you dont have the sand it can be a real problem. I know it doesnt get the stat sheet, but especially as a TE you have to be big enough to hold your own on an edge or theyre going to start looking for someone that can. Otherwise draft a tall WR. If youre not big enough you can be just as ineffective as being too bulky and slow. This isnt madden.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Getting bullied in the NFL is real, if you dont have the sand it can be a real problem. I know it doesnt get the stat sheet, but especially as a TE you have to be big enough to hold your own on an edge or theyre going to start looking for someone that can. Otherwise draft a tall WR. If youre not big enough you can be just as ineffective as being too bulky and slow. This isnt madden.

This is exactly what I see with MVS and Tonyan.They get run out of their routes. 

Mike Garafolo -  Raiders gave Marcus Mariota a two-year, $17.6 million deal that includes $7.5m in the first year as a fully-guaranteed base salary.  Mariota gets up to $2.4 million if he plays 60% of the snaps in 2020. Another $1.5m is available in per-game playing time and win incentives. Has $10m in those incentives available in 2021. Also $2 million in playoff/Super Bowl incentives each year + $12m in 2021 salary escalator

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Seattle just stole from Washington.

Ugh, cmon Gute. I'm trying to be patient here...

I can't recall.. Manusky is a C2 guy right?

Nope I was wrong. Looks like a solid grab for Seattle. We would've had to up the ante though, I assume.

Edited by HighCalebR

BREAKING NEWS -  Peyton Manning turned down ESPN’s “Monday Night Football.”  The overriding factor was whether Manning finally wanted to enter the broadcast booth and commit to the weekly schedule in the fall. The answer remains no. Manning has declined to be an MNF analyst on multiple occasions, turning down basically every network since he retired from the NFL in 2016.

10 hours ago, Leader said:

BREAKING NEWS -  Peyton Manning turned down ESPN’s “Monday Night Football.”  The overriding factor was whether Manning finally wanted to enter the broadcast booth and commit to the weekly schedule in the fall. The answer remains no. Manning has declined to be an MNF analyst on multiple occasions, turning down basically every network since he retired from the NFL in 2016.

I thought his reasoning before was he didn't want to do games with his brother playing. I guess the retirement thing is working out well for him. Plus, you go in the booth you have to be critical of folks and that just may not be his style. 

Funny, I like him a lot more in retirement than when he played. I always thought he was a fake nice guy, turns out he may just be a good guy. 

• Like 1