NFL News & Notes

Leader

6 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

Having lived in WI most of my life and Denver for the last decade I couldn't disagree with this more. Denver weather is so much more mild with less frequent snow and more sun. During the season it's probably not a huge difference. I'd guess maybe 10-15 degrees warmer on average from September through December but if you plan on staying through the winter it's really not comparable. Denver winters definitely aren't tropical paradises but nowhere near the winters in the Midwest.

Meh, I lived in Denver and Wisconsin for enough years to know the difference between the two places isn’t as dramatic as you describe.  True, Denver weather is generally milder with more sun.  But it can get very windy on the front range and it can easily get into the single digits or worse with wind chill.  I've attended games at Mile High stadium in below zero weather.

Bottom line, I’m pretty sure it was cold enough in Denver in November - December for Sanders to say “why would I want to go to an even colder place than Denver?”  

Edited by Sasquatch

NFL Rumors - Aldon Smith has not played in an NFL game since the 2015 season. The Cowboys will nonetheless give the former Pro Bowler a chance. Dallas and the former first-round edge rusher agreed on a one-year deal Wednesday night. While Smith has run into endless substance abuse-related trouble off the field, Glazer said the former 49ers standout is “clean and sober” at this point. He has been clean for nine months, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News says.

////

He's not played in four years...and been clean for the last nine months. Good for him, but there's something out of balance there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

NFL Rumors - Aldon Smith has not played in an NFL game since the 2015 season. The Cowboys will nonetheless give the former Pro Bowler a chance. Dallas and the former first-round edge rusher agreed on a one-year deal Wednesday night. While Smith has run into endless substance abuse-related trouble off the field, Glazer said the former 49ers standout is “clean and sober” at this point. He has been clean for nine months, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News says.

////

He's not played in four years...and been clean for the last nine months. Good for him, but there's something out of balance there.

His checkbook

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Imagine trading for a 20 mil man and parking him on the bench. I think they know how this competition ends. 

Maybe they'll keep flip flopping throughout the season and go like 6-10. great scenario going on in my head.

The old adage, "If you have two quarterbacks you have none," is very fitting here. 

The thing about Foles is that, although he is very capable to go on a run, he needs an offensive line to do it. 

That 2017 Eagles offensive line was otherworldly. 

Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Jason Kelce.  Those three players are probably the top three at their positions.  All three are elite.  So in 2017, Foles had an elite tackle, an elite guard, an elite center, okay RT, good guard. 

Now look at the Bears and what they're projected to have there.

Daniels - Good/Okay.
Whitehair - Good/Okay.
Massie - Bad/Okay.
Ifedi - Terrible/Bad. 
Leno - Bad/Okay

Not to mention that Foles is best with RPOs.  RPOs are considerably less effective when you can't run the ball. 

Ajayi - 5.8 YPC
Blount - 4.4 YPC
Clement - 4.3 YPC

Versus:

Cohen - 3.3 YPC
Montgomery - 3.7 YPC

Jimmy Graham instead of Ertz.

The Bears had two options:

1. Use cap space and draft capital to surround Trubisky with talent to make him better.
2. Upgrade at QB.

They tried to upgrade at QB.

So instead of putting more talent around their QB and using their already severely limited draft capital to improve the QB they had, they used virtually all of their cap space and a good chunk of their draft capital for a half measure chance at upgrading the QB position.

That's 15.2 million this year that they cannot use to add an offensive lineman.
That's a 4th round pick they cannot use to add an offensive lineman.

If you hired 10 people to come up with a list of ways the Bears could improve their team as best as possible with what they had available, nobody would say do what they did. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The old adage, "If you have two quarterbacks you have none," is very fitting here. 

The thing about Foles is that, although he is very capable to go on a run, he needs an offensive line to do it. 

That 2017 Eagles offensive line was otherworldly. 

Lane Johnson, Brandon Brooks, Jason Kelce.  Those three players are probably the top three at their positions.  All three are elite.  So in 2017, Foles had an elite tackle, an elite guard, an elite center, okay RT, good guard. 

Now look at the Bears and what they're projected to have there.

Daniels - Good/Okay.
Whitehair - Good/Okay.
Massie - Bad/Okay.
Ifedi - Terrible/Bad. 
Leno - Bad/Okay

Not to mention that Foles is best with RPOs.  RPOs are considerably less effective when you can't run the ball. 

Ajayi - 5.8 YPC
Blount - 4.4 YPC
Clement - 4.3 YPC

Versus:

Cohen - 3.3 YPC
Montgomery - 3.7 YPC

Jimmy Graham instead of Ertz.

The Bears had two options:

1. Use cap space and draft capital to surround Trubisky with talent to make him better.
2. Upgrade at QB.

They tried to upgrade at QB.

So instead of putting more talent around their QB and using their already severely limited draft capital to improve the QB they had, they used virtually all of their cap space and a good chunk of their draft capital for a half measure chance at upgrading the QB position.

That's 15.2 million this year that they cannot use to add an offensive lineman.
That's a 4th round pick they cannot use to add an offensive lineman.

If you hired 10 people to come up with a list of ways the Bears could improve their team as best as possible with what they had available, nobody would say do what they did. 

Great post but one thing stuck out to me; and I could be wrong but wasn't/isn't Lane Johnson a RT? And Jason Peters was their LT? 

On 4/2/2020 at 7:59 AM, Leader said:

////

They needed a mentor for Gregory.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -    With his continued desire to return to the NFL this season, free-agent WR Antonio Brown has hired veteran agent Ed Wasielewski of EMG Sports to represent him.

I think he' going to be blackballed by the league ... then he'll try to sue them for collusion or some crap.

56 minutes ago, Leader said:

Adam Schefter -    With his continued desire to return to the NFL this season, free-agent WR Antonio Brown has hired veteran agent Ed Wasielewski of EMG Sports to represent him.

Sign him to a vet minimum with per game incentives and production bonuses.  He is everything we are looking for except for his 10 cent brain.  You could cut him at any time (including training camp).