NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, jleisher said:

That might be a good thing for the Packers, some good players might fall to them because of this problem evaluating players.

This comment from Fennel is the first I've heard of any "medical issues" connected to Tua's recovery. Unless there's real meat on those bones - he's not coming anywhere close to 30 and we're not going up to get him in the mid 20's.....IMO of course.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Tom Brady relayed what he told Bill Belichick when a receiver wasn't dependable: "I don't have any trust that this guy can help us win the game. If you put him out there, I'm not going to throw him the ball." Said Belichick always saw it the same way.

Is this supposed to be a Rodgers comment via Brady?

Charley Casserly - NFL draft guide: Each GM's best pick, top value pick, tendencies

Green Bay Packers: Brian Gutekunst
Year hired: 2018
Number of players drafted: 19
List of Pro Bowlers: 0.
BEST PICK: CB Jaire Alexander, 2018 (Round 1, No. 18 overall). He boasts excellent cover skills and doesn't back down against any receiver. He had a phenomenal rookie campaign with 28 passes defensed (tied for seventh in the NFL) and followed that up with a solid second season.
BEST VALUE PICK: OG Elgton Jenkins, 2019 (Round 2, No. 44). Another NFC North interior lineman with Pro Bowl potential (like Detroit's Ragnow just above), Jenkins is a physical player with a high football IQ who protected Aaron Rodgers well in his first NFL season.
DEFINITIVE TRAIT/STYLE: Gutekunst has continued the draft philosophy of former GM Ron Wolf, which is to take the best player available over need. The more quality players you have, the better the team will be. Gutekunst has done a good job of addressing needs in free agency, signing pass rushers Preston Smith and Za'Darius Smith last offseason, which allowed him to take the top player on their board at No. 12 (Rashan Gary) instead of stretching to fill needs. Gutekunst won't pass on a highly rated player even if the position isn't an immediate need. One other aspect of his philosophy -- valuing competitiveness -- was exhibited when he took CB Zaire Alexander a year after Green Bay drafted Kevin King with the team's first pick.

Chicago Bears: Ryan Pace
Year hired: 2015
Number of players drafted: 32
List of Pro Bowlers: 5. RB Tarik Cohen, RB Jordan Howard, S Eddie Jackson, QB Mitch Trubisky, OG/C Cody Whitehair.BEST PICK:
LB Roquan Smith, 2018 (Round 1, No. 8 overall). He is the complete package as a linebacker who has the speed to cover sideline to sideline, excelling vs. the run.
BEST VALUE PICK: OG/C Cody Whitehair, 2016 (Round 2, No. 56). He is a smart player who can make the calls for the unit. Most importantly, he hasn't missed a start since he was drafted.
DEFINITIVE TRAIT/STYLE: There seems to be a very close working relationship between Pace and head coach Matt Nagy. It is a collaborative effort between those two, as well as other scouts and coaches -- all must agree on how the player's skill set fits into the scheme. The organization believes in being aggressive to acquire players, including when they traded draft picks for Khalil Mack, traded up for safety Eddie Jackson and back for OL Cody Whitehair. Those were all good trades for the Bears.

Detroit Lions: Bob Quinn
Year hired: 2016
Number of players drafted: 34
List of Pro Bowlers: 1. WR Kenny Golladay.
BEST PICK: C Frank Ragnow, 2018 (Round 1, No. 20 overall). A center with Pro Bowl potential, Ragnow is a strong run blocker, good pass blocker and can get movement on the nose tackle.
BEST VALUE PICK: WR Kenny Golladay, 2017 (Round 3, No. 96). At 6-foot-4, 214 pounds, Golladay is very good at winning contested catches and is a dangerous deep threat to win against smaller corners. He emerged as the team's WR1 early on, prompting the Lions to trade away Golden Tate for draft currency.
DEFINITIVE TRAIT/STYLE: Under Quinn, the Lions put a high importance on character with their top picks, leading some to believe they are too conservative with their early selections and others to say they have been smart. Needs definitely weigh heavily on their early picks and there is a definite emphasis on building strong offensive and defensive lines, while special teams factor into middle- and late-round selections (2016 fourth-rounder Miles Killebrew, 2017 fourth-rounder Jalen Reeves-Maybin).

Minnesota Vikings: Rick Spielman
Year hired: 2006
Number of players drafted: 120
List of Pro Bowlers: 16. LB Anthony Barr, QB Teddy Bridgewater, RB Dalvin Cook, LB Chad Greenway, DE Everson Griffen, WR Percy Harvin, DE Danielle Hunter, OT Matt Kalil, LB Eric Kendricks, WR Cordarrelle Patterson, RB Adrian Peterson, CB Xavier Rhodes, WR Sidney Rice, TE Kyle Rudolph, S Harrison Smith, K Blair Walsh.
BEST PICK: RB Adrian Peterson, 2007 (Round 1, No. 7 overall). A future Hall of Famer, Peterson was the best running back in the NFL for an extended period of time, and he's still playing well in his mid-30s. He's enjoyed a helluva career -- including winning the league MVP award in 2012, when he joined the 2,000-yard club -- as an extremely physical runner who often breaks long runs.
BEST VALUE PICK: DE Everson Griffen, 2010 (Round 4, No. 100). This was a tough choice between Griffen and Stefon Diggs, a fifth-round draft pick, but I went with the DE because he's a complete player. Coordinators had to routinely game plan to stop him as a pass rusher and vs. the run. The veteran has recorded eight-plus sacks in six of his 10 NFL seasons.
DEFINITIVE TRAIT/STYLE: Spielman and the Vikings take the best player available and stay true to their board. Though their drafts have favored the defense, that hasn't been by design with Mike Zimmer as head coach. Some of their best players drafted on defense were Smith, Griffen and Rhodes, who were all in Minnesota when Zimmer arrived. Examples of the Vikings taking the best player available over a team need? When they drafted TE Irv Smith despite already having Rudolph, and when they snagged CB Mike Hughes despite having Rhodes and Trae Waynes in tow.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Even before that nasty injury he always looked like a "good college QB, ****ty NFL QB" to me.

Never thought of him as a legit prospect tbh

IDK if I ever said this here, but Ive said for ages IDK what it is I dont like but sometihng is just off and someone said it was being lefty and kinda stocky in a way, idk he just never made me go OMFG NFL QB. But everyone else was so sold I just went along.

If I knew nothing other than what was on TV, no internet or anyone to talk fb with, I think i would have said he was a middle pick flier. But everyone talks so highly, idk.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Norm said:

IDK if I ever said this here, but Ive said for ages IDK what it is I dont like but sometihng is just off and someone said it was being lefty and kinda stocky in a way, idk he just never made me go OMFG NFL QB. But everyone else was so sold I just went along.

If I knew nothing other than what was on TV, no internet or anyone to talk fb with, I think i would have said he was a middle pick flier. But everyone talks so highly, idk.

I also don't know anything. I'm excited to hear our first pick this year, watch everything I can on him, not read a damn thing, and offer an opinion that will be completely free of outside influence lol (because I know nothing about any prospects this year ha).

Unless its OL, then I won't watch anything.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I also don't know anything. I'm excited to hear our first pick this year, watch everything I can on him, not read a damn thing, and offer an opinion that will be completely free of outside influence lol (because I know nothing about any prospects this year ha).

Unless its OL, then I won't watch anything.

This is the least I've known since I was like ******* 13 or some ****, not even kidding. We had a sports card shop then and followed mostly, college maybe not as much. I don't know 30 guys this year. I keep thinking I have time to go into it but I refuse to start bc I dont wanna get s ucked in anymmore,, i got everyone here to tell me whats up anyways.

My dude this year is Justin Jefferson though, once he goes, I'll rage. If we get him, IDGAF about any other pick

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, Norm said:

This seems crazy to me. I know he had some great WR’s at Bama but that kid throws a damn nice ball and hit his guys in stride all day long. 

15 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

This seems crazy to me. I know he had some great WR’s at Bama but that kid throws a damn nice ball and hit his guys in stride all day long. 

I'm being honest, IDK what it is. It just feels off but IDK why. And I've never hated lefties or anything. 

Just a feeling that has nothing to do with anything I guess. 

I loved Jevon Snead, I said Wilson and Cousins were the best 2nd tier QBs, I said Baker would be the next Wilson. It's all random. I'm just an idiot.

I also hated Peyton. I'm def not anyone to listen to.

I still think Burrow won't even fail in CIN. That kid man. ****. He's a pro to me already. IDGAF. IDK how anyone can be down on him.

Edited by Norm

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:
Tom Brady relayed what he told Bill Belichick when a receiver wasn't dependable: "I don't have any trust that this guy can help us win the game. If you put him out there, I'm not going to throw him the ball." Said Belichick always saw it the same way.

:D  Aaron liking that one?