NFL News & Notes

Leader

Brees updated his comments:

PFT  -  “I would like to apologize to my friends, teammates, the City of New Orleans, the black community, NFL community and anyone I hurt with my comments yesterday,” Brees wrote. “In speaking with some of you, it breaks my heart to know the pain I have caused.

“In an attempt to talk about respect, unity, and solidarity centered around the American flag and the national anthem, I made comments that were insensitive and completely missed the mark on the issues we are facing right now as a country. They lacked awareness and any type of compassion or empathy. Instead, those words have become divisive and hurtful and have misled people into believing that somehow I am an enemy. This could not be further from the truth, and is not an accurate reflection of my heart or my character.”

“This is where I stand:

I stand with the black community in the fight against systemic racial injustice and police brutality and support the creation of real policy change that will make a difference.
I condemn the years of oppression that have taken place throughout our black communities and still exists today.
I acknowledge that we as Americans, including myself, have not done enough to fight for that equality or to truly understand the struggles and plight of the black community.
I recognize that I am part of the solution and can be a leader for the black community in this movement.
I will never know what it’s like to be a black man or raise black children in America but I will work every day to put myself in those shoes and fight for what is right.
I have ALWAYS been an ally, never an enemy.
I am sick about the way my comments were perceived yesterday, but I take full responsibility and accountability. I recognize that I should do less talking and more listening . . . and when the black community is talking about their pain, we all need to listen.
For that, I am very sorry and I ask your forgiveness.”

Edited by Leader

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

Do you make things up in your head simply in order to make a comment that in fact has no bearing on my thoughts or direct words?

I dont need a clue. I've read the players own words or listened to their statements. I dont need to add to their thoughts or comments. I'm accepting them at face value.

As I stated, I'm not interpreting anything and certainly not "whacking" anybody. I simply compiled a handful of player comments and stated Brees is certainly entitled to have his opinion. I dont see a problem with that.

The scope of my own opinion was confined to thinking Brees comments ill timed given events....or as directly stated: "he read the tea leaves badly" (paraphrasing). Thats it. My opinion started and ended there.

There's no need to gin up "dispute" or turn this into a more complex discussion than was intended or is necessary.

IMO Brees screwed up - which we appear to agree on - which is a good thing.

Brees was asked a question he should have danced around … that question in itself was a "bait" job.  The situation/timing of this was indeed not good and yes, the entire nation needs a clue  

Edited by coachbuns

17 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Drew-Brees-Backward-Running%E2%80%94STAC

he's used to backpedaling

He's not backpedaling. It's a PR move to quiet the masses who lashed out about his personal belief. The whole thing is stupid. Obviously, Brees still believes today what he believed yesterday. But this "apology" is simply what you do when you're a celebrity and people are mad at you. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Brees was asked a question he shouldn't have answered … that question in itself was a "bait" job.  Debating the situation is troubling; we all need a clue.  

I'd counter that he answered it badly.

It wasnt a bait question. More like a softball he whiffed on.

He was asked: "How will the NFL respond to potential kneeling and what is your responsibility in times like this?"

Couldnt be easier...and given the "headline issues"....one he could (and probably should) have taken a softer stance on. He responded in the first person - injecting himself in a volatile situation unnecessarily - when in fact the question wasnt about him at all.

He made a mistake. It happens. He's issued a followup statement. Its a closed issue far as I'm concerned.

Just now, Leader said:

I'd counter that he answered it badly.

It wasnt a bait question. More like a softball he whiffed on.

He was asked: "How will the NFL respond to potential kneeling and what is your responsibility in times like this?"

Couldnt be easier...and given the "headline issues"....one he could (and probably should) have taken a softer stance on. He responded in the first person - injecting himself in a volatile situation unnecessarily - when in fact the question wasnt about him at all.

He made a mistake. It happens. He's issued a followup statement. Its a closed issue far as I'm concerned.

So what you are saying is there can be no other thought to knelling during the National Anthem? Speaking ones mind and giving an opinion cannot be allowed. Whatever happened to being able to agree to disagree? 

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

So what you are saying is there can be no other thought to knelling during the National Anthem? Speaking ones mind and giving an opinion cannot be allowed. Whatever happened to being able to agree to disagree? 

You left out the second question mark - but the answer to all three is: no.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He's not backpedaling. It's a PR move to quiet the masses who lashed out about his personal belief. The whole thing is stupid. Obviously, Brees still believes today what he believed yesterday. But this "apology" is simply what you do when you're a celebrity and people are mad at you. 

call it whatever you'd like but I guarantee nobody who was upset about his comment was exactly surprised at his stance. He's a great man, helps plenty in need with his blessings but he needed to read/reflect before saying something incredibly tone-deaf.

• Like 1

Just now, Golfman said:

Because it wasn't a question. 

Well...its clearly not what I was saying. My comments are fairly short, concise and focused. 
I thought (and commented) that Brees screwed up. He apparently thinks so as well. Done.

Just now, Leader said:

Well...its clearly not what I was saying. My comments are fairly short, concise and focused. 
I thought (and commented) that Brees screwed up. He apparently thinks so as well. Done.

You did not read his statement did you? If so, show me where he came off of his position on protesting during the National Anthem? As packfanfb noted, this was a PR move. He has not come off of his stance one iota. 

The 'mistake' he made was speaking his opinion in a nation of 'cancel culture'! 

• Like 1

Rotoworld - Coach Bruce Arians said 12 personnel will be the Buccaneers' base offense. 12 personnel refers to formations featuring two TEs on the field. This would indicate Rob Gronkowski and one of O.J. Howard or Cam Brate should join Chris Godwin, Mike Evans as well as Ronald Jones or Ke'Shawn Vaughn in the starting lineup. The news is a damper on Godwin's hopes of again commanding a large slot role, but he's obviously a good enough talent to still make the most out of his opportunities from the outside.