NFL News & Notes

Leader

I watched several of Kizer's games after the trade and guy has a lot to work with. He made some really impressive throws in spots. His deep ball is already light years ahead of Hundley. He makes horrible decisions and his short accuracy leaves a lot to be desired but he can chuck it with the best of them. I was planning on making a thread about it but my GIF making skills are so bad.

They were getting rid of Randall. I would have liked him on the team right now too, but that wasn't an option. Kizer is a great asset for a guy we had no intention of keeping. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

And that's probably more than any team would have been willing to pay for a guy whose career resembles a roller coaster.  He's probably fetching a 5th round pick at earliest, maybe a conditional one that kicks up to a 4th.  Kizer was probably the best long-term asset.

I agree, I think giving him some time to learn and develop, Kizer will be just fine.

16 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Agree to disagree on that one. The guys who come into the league hesitant to pull the trigger, leave it the same way. Maybe you're right and with reps that changes, but your quality of play at QB when you don't trust it doesn't afford you a long enough career to get those reps.

Dare I reference a players college tendencies - but wasnt one of the reasons Hundley dropped because he showed a habit of pulling the ball down and running if his first read didnt look clean / open? He showed some of that his 3rd year in the pros - last year.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Guy may have excelled under Pettine at safety. He hated Capers and probably was too vocal about it, which is what got him traded. Now that he's gone, you're seeing other players dog Capers every chance they get, including 12. Another reason I find it hard to believe that any players actually wanted him gone. 

Huh, weird how the staff didn't figure that out in the 3 months between moving on from Capers and trading Randall.

12 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Guy may have excelled under Pettine at safety. He hated Capers and probably was too vocal about it, which is what got him traded. Now that he's gone, you're seeing other players dog Capers every chance they get, including 12. Another reason I find it hard to believe that any players actually wanted him gone. 

I am not sure that Randall was vocal about hating Capers.  He may of hated Capers, but Randall was vocal about his team mates mistakes.  How many times in a game did you see him feign surprise that the receiver that broke wide open wasn't picked up by someone else?

He was throwing his team mates under the bus on national tv.  Not good.  Even if it was true, which on some of the plays I find it hard to see how it could have been, you don't do that.  If he had played it right, that would have all come out in the meeting on Monday when they do corrections.  Coaches would have called out the guilty party.  How the coaches correct the guilty party is up to them based on the mistake and what the best approach to that player is.

McCarthy summed it up correctly at the end of last year- Demarious needed to focus on his play, and leave the play of others to the coaches.

I am certain that there was conflict between Randall and others that necessitated either a cut or a trade. 

I say that recognizing that no one knows for sure what took place.  Either of us could be correct, we both could be wrong.  Sometimes we just have to recognize what's done is done, that the team had its reasons- right or wrong, and move on. 

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

13 hours ago, Leader said:

Dare I reference a players college tendencies - but wasnt one of the reasons Hundley dropped because he showed a habit of pulling the ball down and running if his first read didnt look clean / open? He showed some of that his 3rd year in the pros - last year.

Hundley is basically a slightly leaner, quicker version of Jalen Hurts. Here's what his NFL.com draft report said:

Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

Unfortunately, not much has improved.

2 hours ago, Joe said:

Hundley is basically a slightly leaner, quicker version of Jalen Hurts. Here's what his NFL.com draft report said:

Hasn't shown an ability to win from the pocket yet. Protected by playaction-based short passing game that held linebackers and cornerbacks at bay. Internal clock is a mess. Has marginal anticipation, and appears to be lacking in ability to read defenses and create a pre-snap plan. Slow getting through progressions, taking 125 sacks in three years. Inconsistent weight transfer on throws, which affects accuracy (throws sail) and velocity. Needs to reset feet when swiveling from side to side while scanning for next target. Gets crowded in pocket rather than sliding to open space. Short-arms too many throws. Ineffective, inaccurate passer outside of pocket with lowest completion percentage in Pac-12 when scrambling (32.6 percent). Misses opportunities to climb pocket while keeping eyes downfield rather than taking off as a runner.

Unfortunately, not much has improved.

Hurts is a pretty awful comparison. Hundley will be a backup in the NFL for a decade by the time he retires, just doesn't have it as a starter. Hurts will be a RB or WR in the NFL.

38 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hundley will be a backup in the NFL for a decade by the time he retires....

There's worse fates in life. Pretty good gig if you can get (and keep) it.
Pays the bills. Puts the kids through school. Buys some nice cars.

Name
G
Att Comp Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int% Lng 20+ 40+ Sck SckY Rate
Player A
363 195 53.7 25.9 2,282 6.3 163 8 2.2 13 3.6 46 0 0 47 326 65.5
Player B
476 255 53.6 31.7 2,894 6.1 192.9 11 2.3 22 4.6 56T 43 3 38 226 60.5

2 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

just showing that even a HOF talent can look like a total bust when playing for a franchise like the Current Browns/80's Bucs

I actually had a game from young from that year once. He made Kizer look like Montana. 

I know this is semi irrelevant, but he came so far. Maybe it was his worst game, who knows.