NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why on Earth wouldn't Jordy play in the slot? He played in the slot a ton last year.

Because it seems fairly clear that Gute could not possibly have failed to consider the red zone at all this year.  Don't you know Jordy only has 25 receptions, 350 some yards and 3 touchdowns?  If Derek Carr can't get him the ball more, what in God's name makes you think he has any value whatsoever with Aaron Rodgers throwing him the ball? 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yep, feels like Rodgers is super hesitant to throw timing passes or that sideline route this year as opposed to previous years.  As I've said all along regarding the Jordy discussion, trust is absolutely huge to Rodgers.  Everybody acting all giddy and self-confident over Nelson having a meh season in Oakland is just driving me nuts considering how abundantly obvious it is Rodgers has nobody he trusts in the red zone. 

Yay!  A former Packer isn't doing well elsewhere!  My team is struggling in the red zone with Aaron Rodgers when that has never been a problem before when he has had Nelson!

Rodgers has his lowest Red Zone efficiency rating since 2015!  Let's not look at the coincidence there!  LOL, Jordy ain't doing well elsewhere, we won!  Only two seasons in his career has he been under a 98 QB rating in the red zone, and they both happen to be seasons he didn't have Jordy Nelson in the red zone, but that's okay because we made the super duper right decision getting rid of Jordy! 

Packers are 20th in red zone efficiency this season!  I don't care because Jordy isn't doing well in Oakland, and I'm going to continue comparing Jordy's numbers with Carr to Allison's numbers with Rodgers.  Who cares that the only time in Aaron's career the Packers were this bad in the red zone was in 2013 when he missed 8 games and that we were 17th in the other year Rodgers didn't have Jordy! 

Screw the Packers success, I'm just happy Gute made the right decision cutting Nelson and I am confirming that by comparing Nelson with Carr.  Giggle.  Who cares that we were the 4th best red zone team in 2017 when Rodgers missed 9 games and we are now 20th, we made the right decision because Jordy Nelson isn't doing well in Oakland. 

I mean, 20th in red zone efficiency has nothing whatsoever to do with Rodgers missing Nelson. 

it's completely and totally not relevant that Jordy Nelson had 44 red zone touchdowns in his time with Rodgers.  Not relevant at all.  Who cares that his chemistry with Rodgers started before Jordy was even good and that 5 of Jordy's 6 touchdowns in his first three years came in the red zone and that he had 39 more red zone touchdowns. 

We've got MVS and Geronimo Allison.  We totally had no need whatsoever for Jordy.  Gute made the right choice, and that is reflected by Jordy sucking in Oakland. 

Dunno if you read this article, but https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2018/10/21/green-bay-packers-how-wide-receivers-build-trust-aaron-rodgers/1696072002/ 

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Gute should have bit the bullet and cut Cobb as well ... neither was worth their pay and you have to figure he could have found a suitable free agent replacement for a lot less dough.   

It makes sense to stagger the position decisions.

Just now, JBURGE said:

Disregard all of this.  Gute made the decision, so there is no possible way cutting Nelson was a mistake, you buffoon.  Ten years of building trust has nothing to do with whether or not Jordy had value to us.  Don't you even look at anything? 

The Packers are 20th in red zone efficiency and Jordy Nelson doesn't have 1,000 yards yet with Derek Carr.  What more evidence do you need that cutting Jordy was the perfect decision?  All the evidences are there.  Jordy Nelson sucks in Oakland, case closed.  

12 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Disregard all of this.  Gute made the decision, so there is no possible way cutting Nelson was a mistake, you buffoon.  Ten years of building trust has nothing to do with whether or not Jordy had value to us.  Don't you even look at anything? 

The Packers are 20th in red zone efficiency and Jordy Nelson doesn't have 1,000 yards yet with Derek Carr.  What more evidence do you need that cutting Jordy was the perfect decision?  All the evidences are there.  Jordy Nelson sucks in Oakland, case closed.  

stop being so sarcastic

13 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I love Jordy, always have always will. But there's so many stances that can be stood behind that shows Gute made the right call. First one I will start with: you would have paid Jordy $15 million for this and next year?

Just now, JBURGE said:

stop being so sarcastic

I'm just frustrated with people using Nelson in Oakland to suggest he wouldn't have had tons of value for us this year.  Think of the games we might have won this year if Rodgers had Nelson in the red zone.  The Lions game, the Vikings game, the Rams game.  Turn a couple field goals into touchdowns and we have a different outlook on the season right now.

Just now, MaryTsraining3s said:

First one I will start with: you would have paid Jordy $15 million for this and next year?

This isn't even logical.  Keeping Jordy would not have made us absolutely have to keep him next year. 

Additionally, there were a dozen options.  Cut Cobb instead of Nelson.  Restructure Jordy's contract instead of cutting him.  Cut him and give him a fair offer to come back. 

It's not as cut and dry as keep Nelson for 15 million this year and next. 

I'm not suggesting Jordy Nelson is a 1200 yard, 12 TD receiver.  I'm saying it's foolish - and damn foolish - to act like Jordy Nelson wouldn't have had a huge impact for the Packers this season.  He would have. 

It's not a coincidence how bad we are in the red zone right now. 

Two years in Aaron's time here (excluding his injury seasons) have we been below the 11th most efficient team in the red zone.  2015 (Jordy's missed year) and now.  Act like that's a coincidence all you want, it's not a coincidence. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I'm just frustrated with people using Nelson in Oakland to suggest he wouldn't have had tons of value for us this year.  Think of the games we might have won this year if Rodgers had Nelson in the red zone.  The Lions game, the Vikings game, the Rams game.  Turn a couple field goals into touchdowns and we have a different outlook on the season right now.

I know but it isn't productive to just constantly try to belittle people on the forum who disagree with you. We have the biggest forum by posts and members on here who have lots of different opinions. Some just like to come on and talk football and not get ridiculed for their opinion. Not everyone invests as much time into the team as others. Just my 2 cents. 

27 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Why on Earth wouldn't Jordy play in the slot? He played in the slot a ton last year.

Addressing this again with a consideration.......

A fairly large part of the GBPs offense (for good or bad....thats a different discussion) has been the scramble drill - where everybody out on a pattern runs around like its a Chinese fire drill. I guess most teams have similar - fall back procedures - but the Packers (read: AR) seem to force their WRs do a fair amount of it. I dont know if the FO ever made the Cobb/Nelson one up comparison - but it would seem odd if they didnt give it some consideration at least and their decision / choice seems clear. It may just be that based on game tape they felt Jordy had less of this "extra running around" in his legs than Cobb - who (in all likelihood) they plan to move on after this season - or bring back at a reduced salary. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Some of what you say may be true, but is Nelson wearing down again this year like he did last year?  I am thinking MVS and ESB are going to be really good down the stretch.  Them getting a ton of reps now will pay dividends later in the season.  As for Cobb vs. Nelson ... I dunno .. Cobb was instrumental in the win against the Bears.  Without him that day that may have been another loss.  

Just now, JBURGE said:

I know but it isn't productive to just constantly try to belittle people on the forum who disagree with you. We have the biggest forum by posts and members on here who have lots of different opinions. Some just like to come on and talk football and not get ridiculed for their opinion. Not everyone invests as much time into the team as others. Just my 2 cents. 

Oh, I've backed way off in that regard.  It's just one specific person who keeps doing things like this that gets on my nerves.  He's not discussing Allison/Nelson for any reason other than to do what you're accusing me of doing.  He just does it in an awe, shucks, I ain't doing nothing wrong sort of way when I'm a little more brazen in my response. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said: