NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can have goals that aren't monetary that you can satisfy in civil court, like "an apology" or "an admission of wrongdoing".  Watson has so far acted like he's done absolutely nothing wrong, you don't think that's enough to piss off at least some of the people who he assaulted to a degree that "take money and be quiet" isn't going to solve?

LOL! Yeah, these women are going for an 'apology or admission of guilt.' They need to take the cash and sign the NDA and move on with their lives. 

Silly question, is a civil judge going to make Watson apologize or decide if they get the payday they are seeking in civil court? There is no apology or admission of guilt forthcoming from Watson. He's avoided the legal ramifications, no chance he's giving them an Act of Contrition. I'm sure their lawyers weren't signing up to represent them for an apology from Watson! LOL! 

Edited by Old Guy

36 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

LOL! Yeah, these women are going for an 'apology or admission of guilt.' They need to take the cash and sign the NDA and move on with their lives. 

Geez someone’s misogyny slider is cranked up.  I take it you don’t personally know any women who have been sexually assaulted before bcuz if you did, you’d understand just how traumatizing it can be. Sure maybe some of the accusers are in for it the loot but what about the ones that aren’t?  Just telling them to shut up, take the cash and go away is not a good look. 

• Like 3

And the lawyers who sign up to represent abuse victims aren't generally the ones who are motivated primarily by money, since you can make more money basically anywhere else in law that's not "stand up for victims against the powerful."

I'm sure there are people involved in this process would prefer to extend Watson's suspension and deny him endorsements because he's poisonous to a brand than to sign an NDA and get money.  We've seen this before, as soon as the legal issue is in the rear view mirror then a guy will throw/catch a touchdown and be celebrated and everybody forgets that Tyreek Hill punched a pregnant woman in the stomach, Ben Roethlisberger was a rapist, Jameis Winston was a rapist,, Kareem Hunt kicked a woman on the ground, Adrian Peterson beat a 3 year old on the testicles with a stick, Tyler Higbee committed a hate crime, etc.  There is an endless appetite among NFL fans to ignore "bad person" when focusing on "good football player" is an option.

The only ones we've actually been able to make stick to an NFL player was Aaron Hernandez literally being a murderer and Greg Hardy chokeslamming his then-girlfriend onto a pile of guns (then paying her off so she didn't show up in court.)

Edited by PossibleCabbage

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

Geez someone’s misogyny slider is cranked up.  I take it you don’t personally know any women who have been sexually assaulted before bcuz if you did, you’d understand just how traumatizing it can be. Sure maybe some of the accusers are in for it the loot but what about the ones that aren’t?  Just telling them to shut up, take the cash and go away is not a good look. 

I also understand innocent until proven guilty and on three occasions they could not get a Grand Jury to indict Watson. That standard is very low, and they couldn't get an indictment. Translation, there was no evidence he did what they alleged. Also, their lawyers decided to go civil before any criminal investigation began so spare me your misogyny bull****. 

I'm not telling them anything, but I'm telling you how it ends. They settle, sign an NDA and go away. If you don't like that, I could care less because this isn't about either of our feelings. 

What do I personally think happened? I think Watson called a particular service to send women for sex. I think one was legit and wasn't down with the program and all hell broke loose. What happened between that woman and Watson is he said, she said. I'd guess Watson crossed a line you do not cross with a legitimate masseuse, and she called him out. She left, pressed charges but there wasn't enough to get a criminal referral. The others, who were 'less than legitimate' decided to cash in. Just my opinion of things. 

Edited by Old Guy

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What do I personally think happened? I think Watson called a particular service to send women for sex. I think one was legit and wasn't down with the program and all hell broke loose. 

So one woman is telling the truth and the other 23 are just scamming him for money?  Wow the misogyny slider has hit 99!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

So one woman is telling the truth and the other 23 are just scamming him for money?  Wow the misogyny slider has hit 99!

You don't think multiple women with corroborating stories could get a criminal indictment from a Grand Jury? Either the investigating authorities or the prosecuting attorney's or both really suck at their job, no pun intended. 

I'm done here! Have a nice day!

Edited by Old Guy

I don't think any grand jury would indict a famous and powerful man who is credibly accused of sexual assault no manner how many people are accusing him, barring overwhelming evidence like "there's a video."

Per RAINN, out of every 1,000 sexual assaults only 28 will result in a felony conviction.  Now add in America's fondness for "letting powerful people off the hook" and the chance goes to zero.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I don't think any grand jury would indict a famous and powerful man who is credibly accused of sexual assault no manner how many people are accusing him, barring overwhelming evidence like "there's a video."

Per RAINN, out of every 1,000 sexual assaults only 28 will result in a felony conviction.  Now add in America's fondness for "letting powerful people off the hook" and the chance goes to zero.

Tell that to Bill Crosby and Harvey Weinstein. 

Edited by Old Guy

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

And the lawyers who sign up to represent abuse victims aren't generally the ones who are motivated primarily by money, since you can make more money basically anywhere else in law that's not "stand up for victims against the powerful."

I'm sure there are people involved in this process would prefer to extend Watson's suspension and deny him endorsements because he's poisonous to a brand than to sign an NDA and get money.  We've seen this before, as soon as the legal issue is in the rear view mirror then a guy will throw/catch a touchdown and be celebrated and everybody forgets that Tyreek Hill punched a pregnant woman in the stomach, Ben Roethlisberger was a rapist, Jameis Winston was a rapist,, Kareem Hunt kicked a woman on the ground, Adrian Peterson beat a 3 year old on the testicles with a stick, Tyler Higbee committed a hate crime, etc.  There is an endless appetite among NFL fans to ignore "bad person" when focusing on "good football player" is an option.

The only ones we've actually been able to make stick to an NFL player was Aaron Hernandez literally being a murderer and Greg Hardy chokeslamming his then-girlfriend onto a pile of guns (then paying her off so she didn't show up in court.)

Missed a few notable ones.

Image - 828401] | Ray Rice Elevator Assault Video | Know Your Meme

Image - 827226] | Ray Rice Elevator Assault Video | Know Your Meme

The Ray Lewis one was because nobody would say anything (most likely because they were afraid Ray Lewis would kill *them*).

The Ray Rice one ended his career, not because of the video of his domestic abuse, but because he was already borderline washed and nobody wanted to take a chance on the talent.

But the NFL will forgive literally anybody talented at football no matter what they have done.  It's weird to expect the NFL to be a moral arbiter, but because our society and justice system have failed so many people on so many levels we have to find justice where we can find it.

So it's my preference that Deshaun Watson should never play football again, but I'm probably not going to get that.

5 hours ago, Old Guy said:

He doesn't get paid if he's suspended for the year. The contract pushes out another year and starts next year. Also, if he gets suspended for a1/2 of this year the Browns would have the ability to dock him 1/2 of this year's salary. Even if fully guaranteed, that does not mean against league punishment for conduct detrimental to the league. 

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cleveland-browns/report-browns-to-pay-deshaun-watson-45-million-even-if-hes-suspended-for-the-year

Getting some conflicting info on this.  One article says they extend contract for a year and then there is this.  Thought at the time Browns would be on the hook for the way they structured his deal.  

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

The Ray Lewis one was because nobody would say anything (most likely because they were afraid Ray Lewis would kill *them*).

The Ray Rice one ended his career, not because of the video of his domestic abuse, but because he was already borderline washed and nobody wanted to take a chance on the talent.

But the NFL will forgive literally anybody talented at football no matter what they have done.  It's weird to expect the NFL to be a moral arbiter, but because our society and justice system have failed so many people on so many levels we have to find justice where we can find it.

So it's my preference that Deshaun Watson should never play football again, but I'm probably not going to get that.

NFL has been trending in the direction of moral arbiter for some time now.  These kind of allegations just won't fly in today's world.  We'll see what happens but do believe it will be for the entire year.  Browns really created a mess no only with Watson but also Mayfield.  Complete cluster f#$k..

The Browns enthusiastically giving Watson everything he could possibly want once clearing the low bar of "well, he's not going to prison at least" and doing precisely no due dilligence might come down as one of the biggest examples of self-sabotage in NFL history.

It's not like Baker Mayfield is a bad quarterback!  You can win with him!  He was hurt last year!

14 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

https://thespun.com/nfl/afc-north/cleveland-browns/report-browns-to-pay-deshaun-watson-45-million-even-if-hes-suspended-for-the-year

Getting some conflicting info on this.  One article says they extend contract for a year and then there is this.  Thought at the time Browns would be on the hook for the way they structured his deal.  

Both might be correct. The contract he signed has a $45 million signing bonus. So he might get the signing bonus and still have 5 years left on the contract?