NFL News & Notes

Leader

I wonder if Watson's camp will lobby the NFLPA to not fight the NFL in court if the appeal settles on "suspended one season, check in with us in the offseason and if you've checked the boxes we've laid out for you, you're good to go."

Since his base salary this season is $640,000 and his base salary next year is $46m.  If he *can* prevent his suspension from rolling over into 2023 he should.

49 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I wonder if Watson's camp will lobby the NFLPA to not fight the NFL in court if the appeal settles on "suspended one season, check in with us in the offseason and if you've checked the boxes we've laid out for you, you're good to go."

Since his base salary this season is $640,000 and his base salary next year is $46m.  If he *can* prevent his suspension from rolling over into 2023 he should.

So now Goddell gets to appoint one of his cronies to hear the appeal and stick it to Watson. I hope Watson's attorneys bring the owners into it like Kraft and Snyder and compare punishment. 

This is a PR stunt by shady Goodell. 

Edited by Old Guy

46 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

So now Goddell gets to appoint one of his cronies to hear the appeal and stick it to Watson. I hope Watson's attorneys bring the owners into it like Kraft and Snyder and compare punishment. 

This is a PR stunt by shady Goodell. 

If we fast forward to the NFL, the NFL knows it's going to get what it wants here.

Per the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, the appeal goes to Roger Goddell or someone he designates to handle it.  The CBA also restricts the appeal in that it cannot dispute the facts of the initial ruling but Judge Robinson was pretty clear in her finding of "he did it, he lied repeatedy, he showed no remorse, and he violated the CBA in three different ways."  Moreover the NFL can point to the NFLPA accepted this ruling.

The NFLPA will file a suit in federal court, they will shop for the friendliest venue they can find (a thing they can do since NFL teams play games in every district of the federal judiciary), they will get a preliminary injunction, and the judge will probably rule in favor of the NFLPA.  The NFL will then appeal, and they will win on appeal like they did every other time this process has happened (Brady, Zeke, hell the StarCaps deal with the Minnesota DTs.)

The higher you get in the federal judiciary, the lower the odds of the NFLPA succeeding and appeals go up.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

?

Marquis Brown got arrested. I believe for speeding in Arizona.

Not the worse offense, but given last year with Ruggs, that they gave up a 1st for him, they still need to pay him and all the nonsense with the Murray situation.

Just a noisy off-season for them.

3 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I dont believe the NFLPA would listen to him. Bad precedent and they represent more than Watson.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

I dont believe the NFLPA would listen to him. Bad precedent and they represent more than Watson.

Well, the NFLPA has been wanting to relitigate the Roethlisberger thing (the first person to be suspended under the Personal Conduct Policy without being convicted of a crime) for a while.  It's just that "people accused of sexual or domestic assault but not charged with a crime" aren't going to present you a lot of ideal clients.

13 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If we fast forward to the NFL, the NFL knows it's going to get what it wants here.

Per the COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, the appeal goes to Roger Goddell or someone he designates to handle it.  The CBA also restricts the appeal in that it cannot dispute the facts of the initial ruling but Judge Robinson was pretty clear in her finding of "he did it, he lied repeatedy, he showed no remorse, and he violated the CBA in three different ways."  Moreover the NFL can point to the NFLPA accepted this ruling.

The NFLPA will file a suit in federal court, they will shop for the friendliest venue they can find (a thing they can do since NFL teams play games in every district of the federal judiciary), they will get a preliminary injunction, and the judge will probably rule in favor of the NFLPA.  The NFL will then appeal, and they will win on appeal like they did every other time this process has happened (Brady, Zeke, hell the StarCaps deal with the Minnesota DTs.)

The higher you get in the federal judiciary, the lower the odds of the NFLPA succeeding and appeals go up.

I think this is the extremely likely outcome. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Since it was reported that Johnson would be a Packer next year, can we just put Claypool into that headline now?  Or do we simply take the compensation for letting the Steelers extend our property?

If Tom Brady was involved the Steelers would be giving up a 1st rounder to the league right now.

• Like 1

Goodell appoints designee to hear appeal in Watson case.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on Thursday designated former New Jersey attorney general Peter C. Harvey to hear the league's appeal of Cleveland Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson's six-game suspension for violating the league's personal-conduct policy, NFL Network Insider Mike Garafolo reported.

"Mr. Harvey served as the Attorney General of New Jersey and is now a partner at the Paterson Belknap firm in New York," the league said Thursday in a statement. "He has also served as a federal prosecutor. He has deep expertise in criminal law, including domestic violence and sexual assault, and has advised the NFL and other professional leagues on the development and implementation of workplace policies, including the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy. Mr. Harvey has also served as the Commissioner's designee in other arbitrations."

On 8/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, Green19 said:

Marquis Brown got arrested. I believe for speeding in Arizona.

Not the worse offense, but given last year with Ruggs, that they gave up a 1st for him, they still need to pay him and all the nonsense with the Murray situation.

Just a noisy off-season for them.

Now their RB coach has been placed on administrative leave due to domestic battery charges.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cardinals-rb-coach-james-saxon-placed-on-administrative-leave-following-domestic