NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 8/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, Old Guy said:

I'm no expert but when a see a guy who is always being pushed and thrown around, I have doubts. I don't see him as a guy I'd ever want to play a down for us. 

I am not a Hanson fan either.  But we have to look at who he is competing against.  Right now, it looks like the left side is Nijman and Runyan, with Myers at center.  So far in camp, it looks like Newman is probably the best RT and RG.  Rhyan and Tom are not going anywhere this year.  So we are really looking at:  Hanson, Jones, CVL, and Walker to be RT or RG until Jenkins returns.  So, is Hanson better at RG than these other three? Yes.  Is Newman better at RT than them? Also yes.  Hanson also offers center ability if Myers gets hurt, so we don't have to carry another back-up center.  

I initially had Hanson being cut.  I am not so sure anymore.  He wasn't just with the ones for one day like Ben Braden. He has been there most of the training camp.  Rhyan and Tom are also not coming in superstars day one like a Josh Sitton or TJ Lang.  It gives Hanson a decent path to the roster.

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I am not a Hanson fan either.  But we have to look at who he is competing against.  Right now, it looks like the left side is Nijman and Runyan, with Myers at center.  So far in camp, it looks like Newman is probably the best RT and RG.  Rhyan and Tom are not going anywhere this year.  So we are really looking at:  Hanson, Jones, CVL, and Walker to be RT or RG until Jenkins returns.  So, is Hanson better at RG than these other three? Yes.  Is Newman better at RT than them? Also yes.  Hanson also offers center ability if Myers gets hurt, so we don't have to carry another back-up center.  

I initially had Hanson being cut.  I am not so sure anymore.  He wasn't just with the ones for one day like Ben Braden. He has been there most of the training camp.  Rhyan and Tom are also not coming in superstars day one like a Josh Sitton or TJ Lang.  It gives Hanson a decent path to the roster.

A lot to unpack, but I do not see Jenkins missing more than a game or two at most. He may even be ready opening day, but doubtful. Let's say he's gone two weeks for the sake of argument. I'm only keeping 8 on the o-line and Hanson has not proven he is better than any of the following: Nijman, Runyan, Meyers, Newman, Toms, Ryhan CLV that is 7. I'm keeping the younger guys and rolling the dice that we get Jenkins back in week 3 and then Bak after week 4. 

Hanson was just brutal in the last game, against backups. He's not big enough or strong enough. I'll roll with CVL or Waker easily over Hanson.

Time will tell and I could be wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

A lot to unpack, but I do not see Jenkins missing more than a game or two at most. He may even be ready opening day, but doubtful. Let's say he's gone two weeks for the sake of argument. I'm only keeping 8 on the o-line and Hanson has not proven he is better than any of the following: Nijman, Runyan, Meyers, Newman, Toms, Ryhan CLV that is 7. I'm keeping the younger guys and rolling the dice that we get Jenkins back in week 3 and then Bak after week 4. 

Hanson was just brutal in the last game, against backups. He's not big enough or strong enough. I'll roll with CVL or Waker easily over Hanson.

I disagree with the bolded.  Not that I am trying to run a Hanson campaign, Tom and Rhyan are easily on the team before him, depth chart be damned.  I don't think that any of the three have established themselves as superior players to this point, and the fact that Hanson has been playing higher on the depth chart leads me to believe that is what the coaches see too.  All that said, I have only seen the first preseason game.  They have 2 more games and 3 weeks of practice to sort that out.  It was later in the game, but I didn't see much improvement against 3rd stringers from Rhyan, if that means anything.

*also, I must admit that I was wrong about Sitton and Lang in my previous post.  Neither started their first season with the Packers.  Lang started 3 games as a rookie, then became the starter in year 3.  Sitton started 2 games as a rookie, then started in year 2.  I remembered that very incorrectly.  

51 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Bro, we all went through our phases, no shame in admitting it.  

90S Hanson GIF

JH has a real shot to make it and the coaches are giving him plenty of chances. That group has too many variables. If I recall, Sitton seized the bull by the horns pretty early but TJ took a bit longer. The talent was apparent but he wasn’t consistently getting after it, later he kicked some A once he got his head on straight. 

* I see you added that later, must not have refreshed the thread. Anyway, I stand by not being too big a man to admit you fell for the siren song of Australian teen pop. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

That's too harsh. He wasn't brutal. He gave up, what, two pressures? And had a couple decent reach blocks in the run game. The highly agile/less powerful "lose slow" style will play better with a guy like Myers next to him. 

The issue with Hanson is that no matter how you work the numbers, it's really hard to slot him in a spot. He's probably the 4th best C on the roster behind Jenkins, Myers, and Tom (given some reps at the spot). He's, what the 6th best guard behind Jenkins, Runyan, Newman, and Tom and Rhyan (given some reps at the spot)?

He can't play Tackle.

His ceiling at Guard is super low.

his ceiling at Center is low.

His only real chance is as a one year stop gap before Tom runs him off the roster. But if you're the staff, don't you prefer to give any potential reps to Tom knowing that in 6 weeks of live reps, he'll be better than Hanson will ever be?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Bro, we all went through our phases, no shame in admitting it.  

90S Hanson GIF

JH has a real shot to make it and the coaches are giving him plenty of chances. That group has too many variables. If I recall, Sitton seized the bull by the horns pretty early but TJ took a bit longer. The talent was apparent but he wasn’t consistently getting after it, later he kicked some A once he got his head on straight. 

* I see you added that later, must not have refreshed the thread. Anyway, I stand by not being too big a man to admit you fell for the siren song of Australian teen pop. 

I completely misremembered Sitton and Lang.  I thought they came in right away and became immediate starters.  It was not like that.

I thought Hanson was from Tulsa...

[edit] yeah I just looked it up.  Hanson are from Tulsa.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanson_(band)

Edited by ThatJerkDave
Hanson faktz

43 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I completely misremembered Sitton and Lang.  I thought they came in right away and became immediate starters.  It was not like that.

[edit] yeah I just looked it up.  Hanson are from Tulsa.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanson_(band)

Well, dang, I guess there’s a lot of misremembering around here because I’ve believed, for the entirety of my knowledge of their existence, which I think about on a daily basis, that those fellas where from down unda. 

O Line takes time.  We’ve let a few go early who went on to start for years on various teams even if they weren’t superstars. Hanson is nothing more than a depth piece but the young guys might not be ready yet to be thrown into the fire and he’s seen snaps. We’ll see. If he gets cut, it will hopefully mean someone else has clearly outperformed him. Great guy to have on the PS. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

A dollar to donuts he got Hanson and Silverchair mixed up (or thinks they are the same thing).

26 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Well, dang, I guess there’s a lot of misremembering around here because I’ve believed, for the entirety of my knowledge of their existence, which I think about on a daily basis, that those fellas where from down unda. 

O Line takes time.  We’ve let a few go early who went on to start for years on various teams even if they weren’t superstars. Hanson is nothing more than a depth piece but the young guys might not be ready yet to be thrown into the fire and he’s seen snaps. We’ll see. If he gets cut, it will hopefully mean someone else has clearly outperformed him. Great guy to have on the PS. 

That was AC/DC. People often get the two confused.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

A dollar to donuts he got Hanson and Silverchair mixed up (or thinks they are the same thing).

No, it was definitely those same kids. I guess I just heard they were from OZ and then never thought about them again,

Im going to roll with the Acca Dacca mix up, that’s hilarious. 

Kings of the Sun were THE under-rated Aussie band, imo. Their first album was solid all the way through.

I liked their drummer, had a lot of pizazz and energy.

Anyway, this isn't TAPT, so enough of off-topic.

PS Love had a good day yesterday, keeping the good and cutting down on the errant stuff.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

There are two rosters, 53 and 69.  If Myers gets injured, you could call up a replacement from practice squad for the next week.  So, in terms of the 53, the need for to carry a backup center on the 53 is for a couple-of-quarters contingency. 

That contingency, on it's own, may be sufficient to justify a 53-man spot.  But not necessarily?   *If* you train or re-train somebody else to be able to be a contingency fill-in to cover a couple of quarters?  

Obviously if Hanson is both the primary center-replacement, AND is anti-awful at guard, then it's easier.  

One quick thing about center/Hanson.

I believe there is some kind of "rule" regarding veterans and their contracts.  Like if you sign them after week one, the contract is better for the team.  I'm not sure how, exactly, but maybe guarantees go away.  But I know that post week one is a good thing for the club in regards to a veteran player.

If the goal is to have a capable backup center who can also play guard....  JC Tretter.  There may some blackballing going on regarding him, but putting that aside, he could be ideal in that role.

He's played 16 games a season for the past 5 seasons.  Consistently in the top 10 of centers and he's played his best the last two years.  He doesn't practice much, he has been injured, but he's played through injuries.

If the money works, that is player who can solidify the depth of the line and also help mentor Myers.

Which means, Hanson could make the roster for week one, then be released and put back onto the PS when he clears.  

Just something to consider.

53 minutes ago, craig said:

There are two rosters, 53 and 69.  If Myers gets injured, you could call up a replacement from practice squad for the next week.  So, in terms of the 53, the need for to carry a backup center on the 53 is for a couple-of-quarters contingency. 

That contingency, on it's own, may be sufficient to justify a 53-man spot.  But not necessarily?   *If* you train or re-train somebody else to be able to be a contingency fill-in to cover a couple of quarters?  

Obviously if Hanson is both the primary center-replacement, AND is anti-awful at guard, then it's easier.  

I think that judgement depends on whether or not Tom is ready.  Because he is probably a not as good version of Jenkins and in theory can get us out of a game at any of the 5 positions.  But if Tom is not ready yet, Hanson probably offers more than CVL, Walker, or Jones on game day right now.