NFL News & Notes

Leader

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, I don't know what the risk is but this seems scary. 

Afib is when the atriums the two top chambers of the heart are fibrillating, meaning instead of the typical lub dud sequence of the heart the two chambers are not in sync with the ventricles, the bottom chambers of the heart... The danger of it is if the chambers aren't emptying fully some blood will pool, and if blood is just sitting still it will clot. So if one of those clots breaks off it can enter the circulation causing a stroke. JJ was cardioverted. Basically using an electric shock to kick the heart back in normal sinus rhythm. He will follow up with docs I'm sure but it shouldn't cause him any issue to play today. 

47 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Afib is when the atriums the two top chambers of the heart are fibrillating, meaning instead of the typical lub dud sequence of the heart the two chambers are not in sync with the ventricles, the bottom chambers of the heart... The danger of it is if the chambers aren't emptying fully some blood will pool, and if blood is just sitting still it will clot. So if one of those clots breaks off it can enter the circulation causing a stroke. JJ was cardioverted. Basically using an electric shock to kick the heart back in normal sinus rhythm. He will follow up with docs I'm sure but it shouldn't cause him any issue to play today. 

Wouldn't a pacemaker be a logical move here?

1 hour ago, R T said:

Wouldn't a pacemaker be a logical move here?

No because he's not in this rhythm chronically, and honestly when people are chronic afib the first line of treatment is a blood thinner to prevent the blood from pooling in the chamber. With Watt it's really about why did he go into afib? was it like a pre-work out thing? No idea, but I'm sure he will follow up with a cardiologist.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Yeah, I don't know what the risk is but this seems scary. 

Afib isn't really that big of a deal unless its chronic. My dad has had Afib for 30+ years without any issue. It increases your risk of stroke like others have pointed out but its not that serious as a day to day type of issue and is easily medicated if serious. 

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Tyler Dunne -  The 1-3 Detroit Lions' offensive output this season:

35 points, 386 yards (Eagles)
36 points, 425 yards (Commanders)
24 points, 416 yards (Vikings)
45 points, 520 yards (Seattle)

Translation: Detroit has a terrible defense. Got it

Jacob Morley -  Rashan Gary, Za'Darius Smith, now George Karlaftis. You don't need to have Gumby bend to be a high-level disrupter at the NFL level. Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

• Peter Bukowski -   Reddick, Hendrickson, Rousseau, even a guy like Shaq Barrett. There are a ton of ways to win as a pass rusher.

Jacob Morley -   Yup, I think you still need to be an explosive athlete, but if you can't turn the corner like Von Miller, that isn't the death sentence some would lead you to believe.

Dakota Watson -   If Patrick Mahomes throws four touchdown passes next week, he will pass Troy Aikman’s entire career total…and Aikman is calling the game for ESPN. Praying for this to happen!!

• Peter Bukowski -   Troy Aikman threw 20 TDs passes ONE time in his NFL career but double digit INTs in 9/12 seasons. It’s a credit to John Madden and Pat Summerall anyone thinks he’s an all-time great QB. He’s not.

///

Mahomes/Aikman - The TD's.....diifferent leagues....plus Mahomes doesnt have a HOF / all time leading rushing RB behind him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

Dakota Watson -   If Patrick Mahomes throws four touchdown passes next week, he will pass Troy Aikman’s entire career total…and Aikman is calling the game for ESPN. Praying for this to happen!!

• Peter Bukowski -   Troy Aikman threw 20 TDs passes ONE time in his NFL career but double digit INTs in 9/12 seasons. It’s a credit to John Madden and Pat Summerall anyone thinks he’s an all-time great QB. He’s not.

///

Mahomes/Aikman - The TD's.....diifferent leagues....plus Mahomes doesnt have a HOF / all time leading rushing RB behind him.

You can't grade QBs of the past using today's standards. You have to compare them to their peers. Elway and Favre don't look like anything special either by today's numbers. Aikman will always be way overhyped because of the team he was on, but he was a good QB of that era.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You can't grade QBs of the past using today's standards. You have to compare them to their peers. Elway and Favre don't look like anything special either by today's numbers. Aikman will always be way overhyped because of the team he was on, but he was a good QB of that era.

For sure, big era adjustment. Troy isn't that overrated anymore, any time he's brought up it's to **** on him. Also it's stupidly weird that he's like excited that Mahomes will pass him, like who cares, I guess that first guy thinks it will justify whatever anti Aikman posts he's made that I'm sure some cowboys fan got mad at... Cool. Aikman bashing has been going on since there was dial up internet. These two talking like they're the first to notice his stats or something... Next I'll hear about his rookie year stats for the 1 millionth time like it's new. 

And this is coming from a guy who's long been quick to **** on the dude's career lol

• Like 1