NFL News & Notes

Leader

WSJ Sports -  The Rams defied NFL conventions with an unorthodox team-building strategy that led to last season’s Super Bowl win. Now they’re struggling, raising the question: Is the team’s all-in approach sustainable?

• Andrew Brandt -  I know, I know: they won the Super Bowl. But I have been saying this for years: the "f*** them draft picks" team-building is nice for a year or two, when the superstars overshadow the lack of infrastructure behind them. But Cap-strapped and aging is not where you want to be..
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

WSJ Sports -  The Rams defied NFL conventions with an unorthodox team-building strategy that led to last season’s Super Bowl win. Now they’re struggling, raising the question: Is the team’s all-in approach sustainable?

• Andrew Brandt -  I know, I know: they won the Super Bowl. But I have been saying this for years: the "f*** them draft picks" team-building is nice for a year or two, when the superstars overshadow the lack of infrastructure behind them. But Cap-strapped and aging is not where you want to be..

Others would say they got their ring who cares. Look at the Super Bowl drought many teams have right now. Their fan bases would go all in for that chance is a minute. 

Again, 30+ years of HOF QBing can give fans a distorted view of 'going all in'! 

Adam Schefter -   Panthers fired HC Matt Rhule, who has gone 11-27 during his three seasons in Carolina. Rhule leaves Carolina with four years left on the seven-year contract he received from Panthers’ owner David Tepper in January 2020.

///

When he gets hired somewhere, that will make for some nice bankable pocket change.........

38 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Others would say they got their ring who cares. Look at the Super Bowl drought many teams have right now. Their fan bases would go all in for that chance is a minute. 

Exactly right.  The Milwaukee Bucks went all in, and they got their ring.  Now the franchise is up against the luxury tax with an old roster and no draft picks.  I don't know a single Bucks fan who thinks going all in was a mistake.

The thing is, you better get that ring.  The Rams were pretty lucky to get theirs, and so were the Bucks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Exactly right.  The Milwaukee Bucks went all in, and they got their ring.  Now the franchise is up against the luxury tax with an old roster and no draft picks.  I don't know a single Bucks fan who thinks going all in was a mistake.

The thing is, you better get that ring.  The Rams were pretty lucky to get theirs, and so were the Bucks.

so were 2010 Green Bay Packers

The Panthers have signed a few long term deals that are looking pretty shakey right now including to their former HC. Going all in can mean a lot of different things but in the end it’s a crap shoot even if you have the players to make the run. Health is as important as anything and that is pretty hard to predict in July.

I think this is where depth and good coaching can play a huge role. Our 2010 run our schemes were fresh, we had great players and the depth to weather the storm to make the playoffs where we peaked with a young Rodgers. We saw a good coach making the best of his roster last Sunday in Daboll. Somewhere there is a balance between well paid starts and a solid group of vets/rookie contracts playing above their pay grade. 

Going all in in the 5 on 5 game in the NBA is much different. One starter and/or one complimentary player can make a huge difference. For the Pack I don’t know what one player would tip the scales. The NFL is so system specific you have to find the right fit, especially in a midseason pickup. Obviously another pass catcher would be nice. I looked to see if CAR still had Curtis Samuel but see he’s in WAS, maybe they have a fire sale in a few weeks. A solid TE would be nice but they are rare and no one is giving up a young one they think will develop. Depth at OLB is a need but I don’t think we get anyone to move the needle there. Maybe we just hope our young guys grow and our coaches start maximizing their talent. Either way, wins are the only thing that count and we need to get back to that.

Edited by Refugee

18 hours ago, Leader said:

Michael Balko -  I have confirmation that the Bills are one of the teams that have contacted the #Panthers regarding RB Christian McCaffrey.

///

Carolina may soon be selling off the store....

What would you give up for an injury prone RB who has 4 years left on his deal? I don't think Carolina is in a position they have to give him away. He's very talented so what is the price one would be willing to pay?

19 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

What would you give up for an injury prone RB who has 4 years left on his deal? I don't think Carolina is in a position they have to give him away. He's very talented so what is the price one would be willing to pay?

Actually....I dont want McCaffrey. I've not looked at his contract but think him way too expensive for us and he's very injury prone.

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Actually....I dont want McCaffrey. I've not looked at his contract but think him way too expensive for us and he's very injury prone.

My comment was in general, not for us. We have a two headed horse and Kylin Hill will be ready in a few weeks likely. 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

I’ve said it before, I’d rather have Jones than McCaffery based on availability. I don’t think there’s a huge gap in talent and 33 has been a better value although a decision has to be made with next year’s salary.  We definitely don’t need a RB, especially not a high priced one. There might be some other pieces we can find from the Panthers estate sale but they likely won’t be splash signings. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

I’ve said it before, I’d rather have Jones than McCaffery based on availability. I don’t think there’s a huge gap in talent and 33 has been a better value although a decision has to be made with next year’s salary.  We definitely don’t need a RB, especially not a high priced one. There might be some other pieces we can find from the Panthers estate sale but they likely won’t be splash signings. 

When I posted the comment about a potential Carolina fire sale - I was thinking more WR than RB - but even there, I dont think there's a good fit from their roster to ours. I'd like Moore "talent-wise" - but I dont think he brings the blocking prowess which we demand of our WRs. No idea what he costs either.

8 hours ago, Leader said:

When I posted the comment about a potential Carolina fire sale - I was thinking more WR than RB - but even there, I dont think there's a good fit from their roster to ours. I'd like Moore "talent-wise" - but I dont think he brings the blocking prowess which we demand of our WRs. No idea what he costs either.

Screw the blocking , can he run  good routes , get open and catch a ball ! How about a little twitch to his game . sorta  kidding about the blocking . we need a receiver that knows how to get open and have some separation ! 

4 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

Screw the blocking , can he run  good routes , get open and catch a ball ! How about a little twitch to his game . sorta  kidding about the blocking . we need a receiver that knows how to get open and have some separation ! 

IF he was for sale, how much would give up for Brian Burns or Derrick Brown?