NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 11/16/2022 at 8:56 AM, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport -   Colts All-Pro LB Shaquille Leonard underwent successful season-ending back surgery this morning after several evaluations. Leonard is on Injured Reserve, and the hope is the procedure fixes his issue for good.

///

Paging Dr. @Scoremore - please consult and advise.

Like the great advice given on Za'Darius Smith? 

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

I missed on that one, too. Figured he was on the down side of his career for sure.

I've always thought player evaluation (draft, FA, roster construction) is a lot about risk evaluation and hedging your bets. As long as your decision making process is sound, you can't really kick yourself too hard over this kind of misses. It's a lot like poker, if you're playing the percentages correctly you shouldn't fret over lucky / unlucky draws, they will eventually cancel out and you'll be fine.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

alienating our all-world pass rusher was a weird weird move.  Was it just a covid thing?

Came to camp with a herniated disk.  Had surgery and missed most of the season.  Back surgeries are usually career ending type injuries for football players.  Z was an exception at least for now.  Having one hell of a year.  Think Packers made the right move at the time.  As ESP said you play the percentages.  Definately not in Z's favor. Hinesight is always 20/20.  I'd never sign or draft a player after a back surgery.  Still stand by that.  It's kinda like being happily married.  About 1/20 I recon...😁

Edited by Scoremore

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Came to camp with a herniated disk.  Had surgery and missed most of the season.  Back surgeries are usually career ending type injuries for football players.  Z was an exception at least for now.  Having one hell of a year.  Think Packers made the right move at the time.  As ESP said you play the percentages.  Definately not in Z's favor at the time. Hinesight is always 20/20.  I'd never sign or draft a player after a back surgery.  Still stand by that.  It's kinda like being happily married.  About 1/20 I recon...😁

yeah we argued about this over the offseason.  Not really hindsight for me.

Why did he feel alienated and want to leave though?  IN his last season (a season he finished on the active roster, recorded 19 snaps in a playoff game and recorded a sack) he was alienated or at least felt alienated from the team.

Why was that?

15 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Why did he feel alienated and want to leave though?  IN his last season (a season he finished on the active roster, recorded 19 snaps in a playoff game and recorded a sack) he was alienated or at least felt alienated from the team.

Why was that?

Wasn't he upset that he didn't get more money in the offseason. 

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Why was that?

I think he wanted to renegotiate his contract and the Packers did not at that time. I'm sure it bothered him and knowing him as a vocal person maybe he shared his frustrations. Then sprinkle on the not being a captain and so fourth. It probably got ugly fast.

27 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Wasn't he upset that he didn't get more money in the offseason. 

Yes this. Z is up against a shortened clock, this isnt a gotcha situation. 

Its not like an acl where performance is necessarily altered. Its just a higher likelihood of a career ender at some point