NFL News & Notes

Leader

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Trevathan and Marshall have no business on a list with Urlacher, Lewis, Bowman, Willis etc... None of the other guys ever turned into "pumpkins."

I think more than ILB play this proves the obvious, when you have a HOF talent on one side of the ball, that side will play better than the average unit. 

Roquan would be an interesting case study, the before and after splits after his arrival are drastic.

I agree, Roquan will be a great study!

Let's see.  Didn't win much in Chicago, despite being the run and hit linebacker next to Danny T.  And while being in what was supposed to be a LB friendly defense.  One that made the undrafted Jack Sanborn look like the second coming of Urlacher.  I don't watch a lot of Bears games, outside of GB games, but Sanborn looked to be at least equal to Smith from what I saw.

Then you have the improved Raven defense when Smith gets there.  Motivation perhaps?

Now he's been paid and paid big.  Let's see how he plays now that he has his money.  It'll be interesting.

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would argue that the years the Bears had an elite defense was the ones where they had top tier DL talent in front of Urlacher and Briggs. 

I don't think we ever got to see Bowman and Willis without studs in front of them. 

Lewis' career was definitely extended by Haloti Ngata 

Lewis.  Defined by Siragusa and Sam Adams.  Helped out by Boulware and McCrary.

Extended by Ngata big time.  That dude was amazing in his prime.  My lord.

But there was this time when Siragusa retired and Adams declined to where they had no big uglies in front of Ray and he was very vocal about needing studs in front of him to keep him clean.  And then along comes Haloti.  

17 hours ago, vegas492 said:

GB shouldn't be investing much into the ILB position anytime soon.  And it'll be interesting to see what happens with Quay in the future.

Campbell and Quay are both slated to be free agents in 2026.  Quay will be 26 and Campbell will be 33.  Most likely that is the end of the line for Campbell, or at least the end of him making money where you worry about the cap impact that it has.  I agree that there is not a lot of upcoming investment planned for the position.  

Current Ravens have a lot of beef on the DL.  The only sub 300 player is Justin Madubuike, and he is listed at 293.  I would be lying if I said that I watched a lot of Ravens football though, so I don't know if they are any good or not.  I mean, Jack Heflin was listed at 304 too, so just being big and heavy doesn't make you a stud. 

Ian Rapoport -   Time is of the essence, which is why the Raiders are starting now. There is a firm deadline of Feb 15. At that point, Carr's $40.4M in salary over the next two seasons becomes fully guaranteed. Any decision on a possible trade would come before then.

• ProFootballTalk -   They've known this since they benched him. It's why they benched him. But why would he cooperate with any effort to trade his contract? He should tell them in no uncertain terms: (1) cut me; or (2) "f--k you, pay me."

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I would argue that the years the Bears had an elite defense was the ones where they had top tier DL talent in front of Urlacher and Briggs. 

I don't think we ever got to see Bowman and Willis without studs in front of them. 

Lewis' career was definitely extended by Haloti Ngata 

Yeah they're complimentary positions, how many HOF QBs spent an entire career behind bad OLs?

There's no denying the impact White and David have in TB, the alley game is completely gone for an offense against them. Now I'm not saying that your above average ILB is worth a 1st, but there's no denying when you have a great one how much it helps your D, regardless of who's on your DL.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Leader said:

NFL Rumors -   Commanders Carson Wentz could be a potential cap cut.
Wentz's contract has 0 dead money and a $26.1M cap saving for Washington.

///

This guy's running out of options.......

He's worthless even as a back up I wouldn't want him on my team.  He'll probably find work somewhere but it won't be for much.  

14 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Campbell and Quay are both slated to be free agents in 2026.  Quay will be 26 and Campbell will be 33.  Most likely that is the end of the line for Campbell, or at least the end of him making money where you worry about the cap impact that it has.  I agree that there is not a lot of upcoming investment planned for the position.  

Hopefully with those guys installed and playing great for the foreseeable future it allows us to churn the mid rounds and even a few lottery tickets where good MLBs can be found but with less frequency. At least find some quality depth to develop and go from there. I agree with many, 1st round is early for that position but with RBs catching more passes and offenses spreading the ball around more, speed and coverage skills are needed if you want a guy on the field for 3 downs. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1