NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 1/21/2023 at 1:52 PM, Mazrimiv said:

Thanks for bringing up 2017 and Chris Godwin.  With Cobb and Jordy both looking like they were nearing the end of their time in GB, I was convinced Godwin would be GB's pick in RD2.  Between passing on Watt in RD1 and then Godwin in RD2 (for Josh friggen Jones), I think that is as disappointed as I have ever been during the draft.

Does Godwin exist in the NFL without Brady??

He's a great slot, dump off short WR, right?

I get the disappointment.  I do.  I'm just not sure that Godwin becomes anything here.  Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.  But I have little doubt that Brady inflated him significantly.

...unlike footballs.  Heh. Heh.  Heh.

21 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

A lot of good stuff.

The issue that I have is that Gute, and TT before him, have been able to pluck contributors from the 4th and 5th pretty consistently.  When you look through the team's draft history, you have to go all the way back to 2010 where we had a "top player" drafted in the third round.  And even going back all the way to Sherman and Wolf, the third round has not been where the Packers seem to make their mark.  Is there something in the Al Davis tree that seems to misevaluate in the 70-90 range? 

I thought Wolf was kindda amazing in the third round.  

Robert Brooks

Earl Dotson

Henderson, Brian Williams, Freeman

Flanagan, Tyrone Williams

McKenzie

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yes.  1300 yard season prior to Brady

14 and 15 ypc prior to Brad 

I get the disappointment.  I do.  I'm just not sure that Godwin becomes anything here.  Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't.  But I have little doubt that Brady inflated him significantly.

I think you are missing how good Godwin was prior to Brady 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GodwCh00/gamelog/2017/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Godwin stats in 2019 (the year prior to Brady's arrival)

86 rec, 1333 td, 9 td

EDIT: squire beat me to it.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Yes.  1300 yard season prior to Brady

14 and 15 ypc prior to Brad 

I think you are missing how good Godwin was prior to Brady 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GodwCh00/gamelog/2017/

Might be.  All I know of Godwin is that he is a large slot, which we like.  And he runs routes that are between 3 and 8 yards of the LOS...and he works the middle.

Working the middle?  That's not somewhere that Rodgers really likes to throw.

Again...I don't feel like Godwin becomes Godwin with Rodgers.  And...could be wrong about that.

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well said IMO

Talking heads are already speculating that McCarthy could be out. I've never been a fan of McCarthy, but he does not deserve to be fired. The owner deserves to be fired, but of course, you don't fire owners. 

He paid an average quarterback money to be something he's not, elite. This is the Kirk Cousins syndrome. It's never disappointing to see the Cowboys lose, but McCarthy has improved as a coach and he was not the problem yesterday. A very average quarterback was the entire problem. McCarthy inherited that and so it goes. 

15 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Talking heads are already speculating that McCarthy could be out. I've never been a fan of McCarthy, but he does not deserve to be fired. The owner deserves to be fired, but of course, you don't fire owners. 

He paid an average quarterback money to be something he's not, elite. This is the Kirk Cousins syndrome. It's never disappointing to see the Cowboys lose, but McCarthy has improved as a coach and he was not the problem yesterday. A very average quarterback was the entire problem. McCarthy inherited that and so it goes. 

To me, Mac is to the coaching position as Prescott/Cousins is to the QB position.

Both are quite good.  But not good enough to go far with unless you have the perfect team around them.

And to be fair to Mac?  His SB team was less than perfect.  But he motivated a lot of reserves to play out of their minds and had Rodgers going full Godgers.  He needs to get credit for motivating that team despite their injuries.

You can do better than Mac...but you can also do far worse.  Only coach I can see replacing Mac is Payton.  And that should be a real possibility given how Jerry has talked about Payton in the past.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

To me, Mac is to the coaching position as Prescott/Cousins is to the QB position.

Both are quite good.  But not good enough to go far with unless you have the perfect team around them.

And to be fair to Mac?  His SB team was less than perfect.  But he motivated a lot of reserves to play out of their minds and had Rodgers going full Godgers.  He needs to get credit for motivating that team despite their injuries.

You can do better than Mac...but you can also do far worse.  Only coach I can see replacing Mac is Payton.  And that should be a real possibility given how Jerry has talked about Payton in the past.

Rumor is he wants 25-30 million? If that's true...I'd pass. No HC is worth that much IMO.

26 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I think this is spot on. I'm not a fan as I said in my post you replied to. I just don't see him as the problem. Kellen Moore calls the plays and Prescott is supposed to execute them. Both failed miserably. 

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Why not? If you think he's the best coach in the business? It doesn't go against the cap and players are getting it and a lot more.

His New Orleans results should prove to you that the HC is one of many cogs in the wheel.
Ultimately, the "supposed best / highest paid HC in the land" walked on New Orleans because he didnt (or couldnt) fix what ailed them and he didnt want to stick around to try.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Seriously? He had 900 yards and 7 tds his second year in the league, with Winston throwing him ducks. Now Rodgers doesn't elevate WR's? I get most of you hate him but holy ****.

Edited by PackFan13

55 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Payton is a lateral move at best.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Might be.  All I know of Godwin is that he is a large slot, which we like.  And he runs routes that are between 3 and 8 yards of the LOS...and he works the middle.

Working the middle?  That's not somewhere that Rodgers really likes to throw.

Again...I don't feel like Godwin becomes Godwin with Rodgers.  And...could be wrong about that.

RoDgErS dOeSn"T tHrOw To RoOkIeS oR oVeR tHe MiDdLe