NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 1/21/2023 at 12:40 PM, Striker said:

I think we're overestimating 3rd round hit rate.

Looking at 49ers during Lynch's tenure.

Tyrion Davis-Price, Danny Gray - Both have done nothing

Trey Sermon, Ambry Thomas - Sermon is off the team and Thomas hasn't done much

Jalen Hurd - Off the team

Fred Warner, Tarvarius Moore - Warner is obviously a stud. Moore has...existed?

Ahkello Witherspoon, CJ Beathard - Witherspoon was an up and down player, didn't get a second contract. Beathard was bad as a starter and is now backing up Lawrence in Jacksonville.

So he had one smash, 6 players who basically existed or busted, and 2 incomplete (though early returns aren't promising).

KC during Veach's tenure

Leo Chenal - The former Badger great has been a role playing contributor for KC.

Lucas Niang - Was solid but not spectacular as starting RT in 2021 but hasn't been able to come back from injury this season

Khalen Saunders - Had been trending bust but has been better this year (contract year).

Derrick Nnadi, Dorian O'Daniel - Nnadi is starting but it seems like his past two seasons have been shaky. O'Daniel is off the team.

So with 5 players, they have 2 starters (who might be in the average to mediocre category?), 1 incomplete (though might be a hit?), 1 off the team, and 1 working his way back from injury.

And then there's Licht from Tampa

Charles Sims - Never really did much

Chris Godwin - Hit

Alex Cappa - Hit

Jamel Dean, Mike Edwards - Hits

Ke'Shawn Vaughn - Bust

Robert Hainsey -Hit

Rachaad White - Incomplete, but might have something here.

So he went an astounding 6/8 with these third round picks. But, of course, this is an isolated sample size of one round and doesn't look at other moves GMs made. As I like to point out, Licht had a real rough initial few drafts with Tampa...including trading their third and fourth round picks to draft a kicker in 2016.

But yeah, it's pretty wild how much variance there is.

I love how trying to show our 3rds aren't that bad you did the exact opposite. These teams also traded assets for proven players which our GM philosophy has been against for 30+ years. Gute had more than his fair chance and needs to go

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Seriously? He had 900 yards and 7 tds his second year in the league, with Winston throwing him ducks. Now Rodgers doesn't elevate WR's? I get most of you hate him but holy ****.

For all Winston couldn't do, he wasn't afraid to throw over the middle and deep.

Again....not disputing that Godwin has become a very, very good player.

But when I saw him this year and last year....he's a check down WR that works the underneath stuff in the middle of the field.  And then gets RAC.

I'm not positive that he becomes great with Rodgers as his QB.  And I freely admit that I could be wrong about that.

If he were a boundary receiver...say like Evans...no brainer.  Easily it's a yes.

7 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

What has Sean Payton ever done that Mike McCarthy hasn't done? Other than get suspended for having a bounty program aimed at opposing players?

Peyton gets accolades and Mac gets dissed. Mac 'wasted' Rodgers by only winning one SB. Then Peyton is lauded but only winning one SB.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Leader said:

His New Orleans results should prove to you that the HC is one of many cogs in the wheel.
Ultimately, the "supposed best / highest paid HC in the land" walked on New Orleans because he didnt (or couldnt) fix what ailed them and he didnt want to stick around to try.

You have to have a quarterback in the NFL to win. It's pretty simple. 

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

For all Winston couldn't do, he wasn't afraid to throw over the middle and deep.

Again....not disputing that Godwin has become a very, very good player.

But when I saw him this year and last year....he's a check down WR that works the underneath stuff in the middle of the field.  And then gets RAC.

I'm not positive that he becomes great with Rodgers as his QB.  And I freely admit that I could be wrong about that.

If he were a boundary receiver...say like Evans...no brainer.  Easily it's a yes.

DqerCjXWkAEsJvD.jpg

Godwin plays the slot because the other players on the roster cannot. He could easily be an outside receiver. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Might be.  All I know of Godwin is that he is a large slot, which we like.  And he runs routes that are between 3 and 8 yards of the LOS...and he works the middle.

Working the middle?  That's not somewhere that Rodgers really likes to throw.

Again...I don't feel like Godwin becomes Godwin with Rodgers.  And...could be wrong about that.

Godwin with Brady vs Godwin pre Brady

26 minutes ago, Leader said:

Alright...fine. So why do you need to pay a HC 25-30M?

Just like HOF quarterbacks there are HOF coaches. I'm not saying Payton is that, but many believe he is so why not ask for that kind of money?

There are also coaches who can/could piss away many of the best years of HOF quarterbacks.