NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Would you have thought that Tee Higgins RAS would be that low?

I had no idea.  

Telling on myself, but I remember thinking (when Higgins was finishing up a great rookie year) that we didn't need another version of Allen Lazard.  But he's much, much better than that, right?

Much respect for Higgins, but there is no way we were taking a WR in round one with that RAS.  In fact, I could have stopped that sentence three words earlier.

Yeah, Tee was never much of an athlete or separator. Think he benefits a lot from Chase on the other side and is just a solid contested catch dude.

On 1/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, hitnhope said:

The plan was poor on the OL because they went with the assumption that Bakhtiari would play.   Are our medical people clueless, or was hope the plan?  Everyone knew Jenkins wouldn't be ready in the first half.  They let Turner walk, so was the plan to keep playing Newman at Guard?  Hanson?  Hoping on a rookie performing above rookie expectations?

Do you really think the OL plan was poor? I think it was pretty good.  It just didn't work out.  But, I totally get the idea. They went with the youth and it backfired. 

Since we have been using hindsight, Billy Turner played in 7 games last season for the Broncos.  Both Bakhtiari and Jenkins were back before Turner, and each played in more games than he did as well.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:03 PM, vegas492 said:

Would you have thought that Tee Higgins RAS would be that low?

I had no idea.  

Telling on myself, but I remember thinking (when Higgins was finishing up a great rookie year) that we didn't need another version of Allen Lazard.  But he's much, much better than that, right?

Much respect for Higgins, but there is no way we were taking a WR in round one with that RAS.  In fact, I could have stopped that sentence three words earlier.

Higgens being a marginally better version of Lazard is exactly what the narrative was heading into that draft.  He was an afterthought.

• Like 1

Spotrac -   Since 2000, Super Bowl Starting QBs have accounted for 7.8% of their respective league salary cap on average (8.9% median).

High: P. Manning, 18.8%, 2009
Low: T. Brady, 0.46%, 2001

2022 Final 4 QB Cap %s
Mahomes: 17.2%
Burrow: 4.7%
Hurts: 0.78%
Purdy: 0.34%

Only 5 of the Top 15 Quarterback Cap Hits made the playoffs in 2022.

Of the 4 remaining, their 2022 cap hits ranked:

Mahomes, 2nd
Burrow, 18th
Hurts, 53rd
Purdy, 80th

22 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you really think the OL plan was poor? I think it was pretty good.  It just didn't work out.  But, I totally get the idea. They went with the youth and it backfired. 

Since we have been using hindsight, Billy Turner played in 7 games last season for the Broncos.  Both Bakhtiari and Jenkins were back before Turner, and each played in more games than he did as well.

I have no problem with moving on from Turner.  The MD's certainly should have known Bakh's status.  They also knew Jenkins would not be back right away.

They put too much trust in Newman who had not earned trust.  Their backup plan at multiple positions was Hanson.  He isn't good enough to be part of any plan, and physically isn't an NFL player.

They also seemed to believe Myers would develop into a plus starter.  I understand that thinking, but he was no better than his rookie year. 

So yes-  A plan reliant on Newman and especially Hanson was a poor plan IMO.

1 hour ago, hitnhope said:

So yes-  A plan reliant on Newman and especially Hanson was a poor plan IMO.

So more the actual guys in house than the idea?  Say the guys were as good as EDS and Marshall Newhouse, do you really mind?  I am fully aware that the OL wasn't good enough, especially in the first half of the season.  I just wonder what the better plan could have been, without making drastic changes to the way things played out (ie don't trade Rodgers or take an OL in round 1).  

I guess we could just draft better, there were a few OL that played significant snaps that were taken after Rhyan.  

My biggest disappointment of the season was Newman not improving.  That was a major miscalculation by the FO.  

Edited by ThatJerkDave

Adam Schefter  -   Jets interviewed more than 15 offensive coordinator candidates before hiring Nathaniel Hackett, who once helped lead a top-five, points-scored offense in Jacksonville to the AFC Championship Game.

///

The miracle of Zoom.....