NFL News & Notes

Leader

19 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Man I wish we still had Pettine. 

was stupid to let him walk. Mayve MLF felt like a small guy in the room with him. With Barry maybe MLF feels like the big dog. MLF isn't helping his cause though neither is Gute by keeping Barry.

There has been talk of always looking to improve and I'm just not sure how anyone can see that under Barry. Last year was admirable in consideration and this year was trash all year except the 1 game against Minny week 17 and then to turn in that pile of poo against detroit the following week should have had him riding on the first bus out of town. 

On 2/5/2023 at 8:18 AM, Old Guy said:

The Vikings defense is going to be hard pressed to make an improvement. They've got a couple of vets they need to move on from that have been staples. If they keep those guys their play is so much in decline and the defense will suffer even more.

They were so bad that they will be hard pressed NOT to improve.  Defense rankings and results year to year are one of the LEAST reliable/predictable statistics.  Finishing Low one year it's very common to suddenly vault to top 15 or top 10.  The reverse is also true - counting on your defense to STAY good from one year to the next is very difficult and not that common.  

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

They were so bad that they will be hard pressed NOT to improve.  Defense rankings and results year to year are one of the LEAST reliable/predictable statistics.  Finishing Low one year it's very common to suddenly vault to top 15 or top 10.  The reverse is also true - counting on your defense to STAY good from one year to the next is very difficult and not that common.  

They lacked talent this year and going to have to cut 3 veterans this off season. Not getting better by any means. 

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

What is the average defensive DVOA change for teams across multiple seasons?

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Thats a quality hire. That roster is still brutal defensively, maybe he can squeeze one last year out of Hunter, Z, Kendricks, Peterson and Smith. Void of young talent though, they keep drafting mediocre DBs with high picks.

Quintin Rollins, Josh Jones, Josh Jackson all say hello!!!

Edited by squire12

Pretty amazing what went on in Denver last year. I wonder if Hackett had a say in it. 

But when the subject turned to the special perks Wilson received upon arrival in Denver, such as reportedly having his own office in the facility and having his own personal performance team be allowed inside team headquarters, Payton's answer turned serious and was telling -- and perhaps a sign of things to come under his watch.

"That's foreign to me," Payton said, via the Denver Post's Parker Gabriel. "That's not going to take place here. I'm not familiar with it, but our staff will be here, our players will be here and that'll be it."

On 2/6/2023 at 1:33 PM, PACKRULE said:

was stupid to let him walk. Mayve MLF felt like a small guy in the room with him. With Barry maybe MLF feels like the big dog. MLF isn't helping his cause though neither is Gute by keeping Barry.

There has been talk of always looking to improve and I'm just not sure how anyone can see that under Barry. Last year was admirable in consideration and this year was trash all year except the 1 game against Minny week 17 and then to turn in that pile of poo against detroit the following week should have had him riding on the first bus out of town. 

KOC playing 4D chess with that loss lol

Since you guys brought up Flores, its hard to know what to expect going forward. We need to move on from quite a few veteran players (Kendricks, Hicks, Harry and Z could be cap casualties), but then at the same time, its better to move on now instead of waiting for one more year of decline. Personally, I expect Harrison Smith to stay and the two ILBs gone. Patrick Peterson doesn't fit the scheme, and Duke Shelley is a one year wonder as far as we know. Still, he'll probably try to cash in. Do will Dalvin Tomlinson.

Can Minnesota's defense get better? Yeah, but that will only happen with a lot of new faces in town.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:17 AM, Spartacus said:

His first draft showed he maybe thinks he is smarter than he is. Instead of not giving the Lions Williams they could have just taken Kyle Hamilton and been 10 times better off. Instead he gave both his NFC rivals depth while seemingly striking out when picking his own guy later. 

I would have gladly taken one of Williams or Watson over Cine/Booth/Ingram

Edited by SteelKing728