NFL News & Notes

Leader

10 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It would be better if they just made PI a 15yd defensive penalty and didn't allow reviews.

Hate to sound cynical (but here I go......) - that would be too cut and dried simple and we dont live in a cut and dried simple world anymore.

No. Now we live in a review every micro-motion that occurred in each nanosecond of action to determine what actually took place before our eyes.

It's the "gotta get the perfect call on every play" concept on steroids. Human error can exist now only if said error can be confirmed by multiple sets of eyes. The couch potatoes are watching and they all have Twitter accounts.....go to the tape!

And........

In a world where a sports organization is about to get in bed with (and glean profit from.....) legalized gambling venues - it better institute some "controls" that it can point to publicly as evidence it hasnt lost its integrity entirely.

Edited by Leader

NFL Com -The best member of each of the last nine draft classes.

2011: J.J. Watt, DT, Houston Texans - Drafted: Round 1, No. 11 overall.
2012: Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks - Drafted: Round 3, No. 75 overall
2013: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans - Drafted: Round 1, No. 27 overall
2014: Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams - Drafted: Round 1, No. 13 overall.
2015: Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams - Drafted: Round 1, No. 10 overall
2016: Michael Thomas, receiver, Saints - Drafted: Round 2, No. 47 overall.
2017: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs - Drafted: Round 1, No. 10 overall.
2018: Quenton Nelson, LG, Indianapolis Colts - Drafted: Round 1, No. 6 overall.
2019: Quinnen Williams, DT, New York Jets - Drafted: Round 1, No. 3 overall.

On 6/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Leader said:

NFL Com -The best member of each of the last nine draft classes.

2011: J.J. Watt, DT, Houston Texans - Drafted: Round 1, No. 11 overall.
2012: Russell Wilson, QB, Seattle Seahawks - Drafted: Round 3, No. 75 overall
2013: DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Houston Texans - Drafted: Round 1, No. 27 overall
2014: Aaron Donald, DT, Los Angeles Rams - Drafted: Round 1, No. 13 overall.
2015: Todd Gurley, RB, Los Angeles Rams - Drafted: Round 1, No. 10 overall
2016: Michael Thomas, receiver, Saints - Drafted: Round 2, No. 47 overall.
2017: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Kansas City Chiefs - Drafted: Round 1, No. 10 overall.
2018: Quenton Nelson, LG, Indianapolis Colts - Drafted: Round 1, No. 6 overall.
2019: Quinnen Williams, DT, New York Jets - Drafted: Round 1, No. 3 overall.

"Best member of each of the last nine draft classes that have a narrative attached to them we can sell"***

• Like 1

Football Outsiders with a treatise on personnel usage across the league

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-offensive-personnel-analysis

MLF studied under both Shanahan & McVay and amazingly enough, they were polar opposites in terms of using 11 personnel with LA at # 1 and SF at # 32

Couple more tidbits below and lots more in the article:

* Most of the difference between the Saints' three-wide and two-tight end sets are just how often they choose to run out of each. They're about equally good at passing out of both formations, but much better at running without the extra tight end on the field. This is not a Saints-only problem; the league had a DVOA of 3.9% while running out of 11 and a -13.3% DVOA running out of anything else. Bringing extra bodies onto the field not only telegraphs a run, but clogs up running lanes.

* The Rams were also the only team to have no plays with more than five offensive linemen on the field at any one time. The Packers nearly joined them, but ruined their chance at pointless statistical tomfoolery by running one play against New England with an extra lineman, backed up on their own 1-yard line.

* As further evidence that Pete Carroll and Brian Schottenheimer live on a different world from the rest of us, the Seahawks alone were responsible for 21.3 percent of all the six-plus-linemen sets last season. They ran 66 plays in 613 (six linemen, one running back, three tight ends), which is about the biggest set you can possibly get onto the field.

Carl Lawson: Rodgers is easier to sack than most QBs

Aaron Rodgers is coming off a 49-sack season in which he was hindered by a bum leg, his line was banged up for stretches, and the offense as a whole was out of whack before and after canning Mike McCarthy.

In 2017, Rodgers was on pace for 50-plus sacks despite playing in just seven games (22).

Cincinnati Bengals edge rusher Carl Lawson took Rodgers down 2.5 times in Week 3 of 2017, a six-sack day for the defense. The defensive end told NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Monday that Rodgers is actually easier to sack than some other QBs despite his mobility because he's always looking for the big play.

"Honestly, I think it's easier to sack Aaron Rodgers than most quarterbacks," Lawson said. "He sits there, and he pats the ball. At the same time, sacking him don't mean nothing if you don't do it for four quarters. You know, he came back against us.

"So, I mean, he's an easier quarterback for me to sack personally, because he sits there, and he probably gets eight to 10 yards in the pocket. He's got a great left tackle in (David Bakhtiari). So, he just sits there, he waits, he waits, getting that read. When he gets sacked, he doesn't get flustered. I only saw him get frustrated maybe one time when I did sack him, which was the third and a half sack that they took off (negated by a penalty)..."

Rodgers gunning for the big play was one criticism of the Packers QB the last few seasons as the team didn't live up to expectations. Taking sacks isn't exactly a new thing for Rodgers, who has 412 sacks in 14 seasons. Counting only his 11 seasons as a starter, Rodgers has been sacked 403 times (36.6 per season), including two seasons of 50-plus sacks and two more above the 45-sack mark. Packers fans have been used to seeing QBs sacked over the years, with Brett Favre holding the all-time record of 525.

47 minutes ago, Leader said:

Carl Lawson: Rodgers is easier to sack than most QBs

Aaron Rodgers is coming off a 49-sack season in which he was hindered by a bum leg, his line was banged up for stretches, and the offense as a whole was out of whack before and after canning Mike McCarthy.

In 2017, Rodgers was on pace for 50-plus sacks despite playing in just seven games (22).

Cincinnati Bengals edge rusher Carl Lawson took Rodgers down 2.5 times in Week 3 of 2017, a six-sack day for the defense. The defensive end told NFL Network's Good Morning Football on Monday that Rodgers is actually easier to sack than some other QBs despite his mobility because he's always looking for the big play.

"Honestly, I think it's easier to sack Aaron Rodgers than most quarterbacks," Lawson said. "He sits there, and he pats the ball. At the same time, sacking him don't mean nothing if you don't do it for four quarters. You know, he came back against us.

"So, I mean, he's an easier quarterback for me to sack personally, because he sits there, and he probably gets eight to 10 yards in the pocket. He's got a great left tackle in (David Bakhtiari). So, he just sits there, he waits, he waits, getting that read. When he gets sacked, he doesn't get flustered. I only saw him get frustrated maybe one time when I did sack him, which was the third and a half sack that they took off (negated by a penalty)..."

Rodgers gunning for the big play was one criticism of the Packers QB the last few seasons as the team didn't live up to expectations. Taking sacks isn't exactly a new thing for Rodgers, who has 412 sacks in 14 seasons. Counting only his 11 seasons as a starter, Rodgers has been sacked 403 times (36.6 per season), including two seasons of 50-plus sacks and two more above the 45-sack mark. Packers fans have been used to seeing QBs sacked over the years, with Brett Favre holding the all-time record of 525.

giphy.gif

He beat first-team-all-free-agent LT Kyle Murphy in that game for both of his sacks.

Also, they should have asked him who jumped offsides before GB scored the game tying TD.

Just now, Fl0nkerton said:

He beat first-team-all-free-agent LT Kyle Murphy in that game for both of his sacks. Also, they should have asked him who jumped offsides before GB scored the game tying TD.

This may all be true - but what struck me about his comments was how AR holds the ball.
Something which has drawn a fair amount of criticism around here - including from me: "Throw the damn ball!"

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

He beat first-team-all-free-agent LT Kyle Murphy in that game for both of his sacks.

Also, they should have asked him who jumped offsides before GB scored the game tying TD.

Yeah, he didnt say any groundbreaking stuff. If you read the whole thing he's pretty gracious and well meaning. Just saying AAron holds it longer and is ok with taking sacks. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

This may all be true - but what struck me about his comments was how AR holds the ball.
Something which has drawn a fair amount of criticism around here - including from me: "Throw the damn ball!"

Yeah I think that's a sentiment everyone has. Offseason is in full swing lol.

1 minute ago, Fl0nkerton said:

Yeah I think that's a sentiment everyone has. Offseason is in full swing lol.

Thankfully its winding down. Dont think I could read much more analysis of analysis of analysis on players that havent taken an NFL snap yet.

27 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Yeah, he didnt say any groundbreaking stuff. If you read the whole thing he's pretty gracious and well meaning. Just saying AAron holds it longer and is ok with taking sacks. 

Yeah, he was bang on, and respectful