NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 8/25/2019 at 11:49 AM, mikebpackfan said:

The indignation over the fans booing is annoying. These fans just had their hearts ripped out and we’re expecting them to be magnanimous?  Ridiculous. 

Fans booed, big deal. 

Gotta wonder how Packers fans would react had the situation been reversed. 
I know Wilde put out a poll like "would packers fans do something like this?" and it was resoundingly a no 

Which is asinine. My first reaction when news broke was along the lines of 'Colts fans are gonna be P.O.'d'

Sure. Easy to say differently when all the information comes out. And ultimately it's Luck's life. Knowing the competitor he is this wasn't a knee jerk decision. 

But honestly. What fanbase wouldn't have some fans who boo the starting QB having just retired week 3 of the preseason. 

I don't blame Luck for retiring. Back in 2017, he wasn't able to throw a regulation ball and skeptics wondered if he'd ever play again. Therefore, I'm quite sure Andrew got fed up, noticed the trend in early retirements due to health, considered his age, and made his decision.

7 minutes ago, festiveonion said:

Gotta wonder how Packers fans would react had the situation been reversed. 
I know Wilde put out a poll like "would packers fans do something like this?" and it was resoundingly a no 

Which is asinine. My first reaction when news broke was along the lines of 'Colts fans are gonna be P.O.'d'

Sure. Easy to say differently when all the information comes out. And ultimately it's Luck's life. Knowing the competitor he is this wasn't a knee jerk decision. 

But honestly. What fanbase wouldn't have some fans who boo the starting QB having just retired week 3 of the preseason. 

We'd boo ... the timing was poor.  A major decision like that would work best during the offseason .. prior to the draft .. not days before the season kicks off.  I know you can't always control a retirement situation, but to do it right before the season kind of rips the heart out of the fan base.  We would be in dire straights if Rodgers up and called it quits today .. literally would go from a fringe playoff team to perhaps worst team in the league.

A combination of many things, but for me I think players are starting to realize:

Do I retire "healthy" with 50 million or do I retire broken down with the cloud of CTE etc with 75 million ? Football is the ultimate grind from age 15 on up. Or should I say meat grinder.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

We'd boo ... the timing was poor.  A major decision like that would work best during the offseason .. prior to the draft .. not days before the season kicks off.  I know you can't always control a retirement situation, but to do it right before the season kind of rips the heart out of the fan base.  We would be in dire straights if Rodgers up and called it quits today .. literally would go from a fringe playoff team to perhaps worst team in the league.

Rumor mill says that the Colts FO had information from Luck's camp that this was being tossed around.  I don't think they were surprised and in hindsight, I think the Colts FO leaked the news during the game so Luck would bear the brunt immediately. 

Yeah, if Rodgers retired right now we'd be in a tough position (Outpost would be apoplectic that we got nothing for him) but not the worst team in the league.  Our recent investments in defense would keep us competitive.  Though we might consider eating 'Sherbert for Herbert'.

The Colts just might make the playoffs anyway, they just don't seem poised to make a deep run in the playoffs anymore.

• Like 1

If Rodgers retired right now and we lost enough to get the top QB prospect, it would probably turn out to be a good thing in the long run. 

We are primed right now for a seriously large window. 

Savage
Amos
Gary
Alexander
Z. Smith
P. Smith

We have each of those players locked up for four years.  Once Clark's deal is done, that is the absolute best 4 year group of defenders in the NFL.  No other team in the league can say they have that much talent tied up for so long. 

That is a dynasty potential group right there.  It is a very serious possibility that group gets its own nickname that goes down in NFL lore as historic. 

Problem would be sucking enough.  Could we do it, or could we scrap out 5-6 wins with Boyle or Kizer? 

I don't think the Colts will suck enough.  Luck retiring now instead of last year during Reich's first year is what really screwed the Colts over. 

They're in a terrible position of having a strong interior OL and good pieces on defense, but not great pieces on defense.  They will beat the Bills/Jets/struggling offense teams rather easily this year, but struggle against the effective offenses with okay defenses.  They will not compete with the likes of the Saints, Chargers, Patriots, etc. 

Their roster, hold up... Let me step up on this here... soapbox, got it.  I'm up here now.  Their roster is built poorly.  Their strength is at weak positions.  Nelson, Leonard and Hilton are their strengths.  The three least important, most reliant and dependent positions in football.  Hilton is now essentially meaningless as a threat since he now has no QB to get him the ball.  Hilton had under 1000 yards, under 60 receptions and only 4 touchdowns without Luck in 2017. 

Nelson is now, essentially, worthless as a building block.  He and Leonard will, as I said, help them beat the inferior offenses that can be run out of the stadium. 

Their schedule has plenty of those teams:

Titans
Titans
Broncos
Dolphins
Panthers

They can also compete against poor defenses:

Buccaneers

They're going to win at least half of those games, and then a quarter or so of their remaining games.  They're going to win a low of 6 games, a max of 10, and that is going to take them out of the top QB. 

Obviously the Colts couldn't have seen that Luck would retire, but this is a perfect example of why you don't draft IOL or WR or these highly dependent positions in round one and why yes, even with a HoF QB, if you see a franchise QB, you take that franchise QB before you take a WR.

Packer fans should know this.  Everybody wanted a receiver the year we drafted Rodgers. 

Positional value is a real thing.  You cannot count on anything in the NFL, and if you start drafting less-important positions, you end up with less-important positions at the top of your roster. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If Rodgers retired right now and we lost enough to get the top QB prospect, it would probably turn out to be a good thing in the long run. 

We are primed right now for a seriously large window. 

Savage
Amos
Gary
Alexander
Z. Smith
P. Smith

We have each of those players locked up for four years.  Once Clark's deal is done, that is the absolute best 4 year group of defenders in the NFL.  No other team in the league can say they have that much talent tied up for so long. 

That is a dynasty potential group right there.  It is a very serious possibility that group gets its own nickname that goes down in NFL lore as historic. 

Trade a HOF QB and bank on guys who haven't played a down in the NFL or even together in an NFL game. Smart.

41 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Trade a HOF QB and bank on guys who haven't played a down in the NFL or even together in an NFL game. Smart.

@CWood21, @Packerraymond, please stop me from erupting here for this guy literally missing the entire point of my post and acting like I suggested we trade Rodgers and rely on Savage/Gary.  Because if he took the time to read what I said, he would see I was having a Goddamn discussion on something that was brought up.  That I was discussing the hypothetical of what just happened to the Colts happening to us.  Please keep me from breaking forum rules because some people can't read. 

Still waiting.  Need a preemptive warning.  

Edited by Outpost31

19 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

How about a compromise? We win the SB with Rodgers this year and he retires on top. We then throw the 2020 season to get the No. 1 overall pick and take Lawrence. Win-win. 

I don't want any of these 2020 draft QBs anyways, especially Tua who I'm calling right now is going to be a major NFL bust. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

Just now, packfanfb said:

How about a compromise? We win the SB with Rodgers this year and he retires on top. We then throw the 2020 season to get the No. 1 overall pick and take Lawrence. Win-win.

That's a no from me, Dawg.  I'd settle for a Super Bowl this year, then TRADE Rodgers on top after he demands another new contract.  I'm greedy. 

I was merely responding to speculation on what would happen if Rodgers retired.  I think Rodgers is overpaid and overrated (especially in the postseason), but ain't no damn way in hell I want him to retire.  That's what that whole post was about.  I think we're good enough right now to where if he retired, we'd end up with a 10-15 pick in the draft. 

If he had retired last year, we'd have Murray right now.  Don't think I'd like that.