NFL News & Notes

Leader

22 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

And when the team went 5-11 this year and the fan base revolted because you traded their franchise QB, no one would care and you'd be fired and give up millions. The next GM would use your draft picks and get credit for the future success. 

You talk a big game, but you would pay Goff and try to win a SB with him. At least knowing that your job was very secure if you fall short but keep winning.

And I would have given that franchise 3 first round draft picks and a healthy cap to rebuild from.  Once Goff failed miserably elsewhere and the Rams rebuilt themselves, owners would see I made the right choice and I’d get another job again.  Rams win more games without than with Goff this year.  Lol.

50 minutes ago, Leader said:

The Rams gave up their first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

You would have traded him when?

Before his contract extension.  That’s clearly obvious, Seahorse.  

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And I would have given that franchise 3 first round draft picks and a healthy cap to rebuild from.  Once Goff failed miserably elsewhere and the Rams rebuilt themselves, owners would see I made the right choice and I’d get another job again.  Rams win more games without than with Goff this year.  Lol.

In defense of Goff his offensive line is in complete shambles.  He's still young and learning.  Deer in the headlights during the Superbowl.  This year he's getting clobbered in the pocket.  Not an athletic QB needs protection.  He'll bounce back if they can get their O-line straightened out.  As for the contract probably not a good idea.  They bought high.  He is a legitimate franchise QB imo.  

8 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

In defense of Goff his offensive line is in complete shambles.  He's still young and learning.  Deer in the headlights during the Superbowl.  This year he's getting clobbered in the pocket.  Not an athletic QB needs protection.  He'll bounce back if they can get their O-line straightened out.  As for the contract probably not a good idea.  They bought high.  He is a legitimate franchise QB imo.  

Hard to make an offensive line when you’re paying a crap QB 30 million a year.  You pay quarterbacks who can overcome that extra 10 million going to them, not quarterbacks who can not overcome that. Goff is not an overcomer.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Although, I like picks just completely stacking up on picks doesn't win either. The rams pre Goff were a talented stacked team without a QB that underperformed (got a ton of picks for passing on RG3)

My view, Goff is fine. Give him protection, and he throws one of the best balls in the league. I'd still take him over half the league still. 

I don't think Goff's contract in particular is crippling. In 2019-20, when teams have 200M payrolls, a 30ishM a year QB isn't bad. It's only 15% of the payroll. Mediocre guards like Billy turner make 8M.  He's a good piece that guarantees stability. The rams have bigger real issues (Gurely's contract, Cook's, having to pay Ramsey or trade, having no cheap labor in the pipeline since they have traded all their picks for years)

4 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

Although, I like picks just completely stacking up on picks doesn't win either. The rams pre Goff were a talented stacked team without a QB that underperformed (got a ton of picks for passing on RG3)

My view, Goff is fine. Give him protection, and he throws one of the best balls in the league. I'd still take him over half the league still. 

I don't think Goff's contract in particular is crippling. In 2019-20, when teams have 200M payrolls, a 30ishM a year QB isn't bad. It's only 15% of the payroll. Mediocre guards like Billy turner make 8M.  He's a good piece that guarantees stability. The rams have bigger real issues (Gurely's contract, Cook's, having to pay Ramsey or trade, having no cheap labor in the pipeline since they have traded all their picks for years)

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of the cap and you think 15% is no big deal.  I disagree.  That 8-12 million is two players out of 53 in the ultimate team sport.  It’s a big deal.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

No QB has ever won a Super Bowl getting paid 13% of the cap and you think 15% is no big deal.  I disagree.  That 8-12 million is two players out of 53 in the ultimate team sport.  It’s a big deal.

Not sure you're going to get 2 players who will help this team significantly for 8-12 mil unless one get 10 and the other gets 2.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Before his contract extension.  That’s clearly obvious, Seahorse.  

So - you object to the Sept/2019 contract extension. Fine. It certainly wasnt necessary. Including the fifth year option, the Rams had Goff under control thru 2020. The Ram GM obviously decided holding on to Goff long term was in their interests. Is he worth it? Totally subjective - but - his performance prior to this year hasnt been terrible.

2016 - Goff took over in the second half of the season of a substandard or under performing unit. Nothing changed. The team ended up 4+12 and went 0 for 7 with Goff as starter. He threw for 5TDs / 7 INTs / 63.65 passer rating. A rocky start.

2017  - Goff started 15 games. The team fortunes were reversed. They went 11 + 5. Won the NFCW and lLost in the first round of the playoffs Goff threw 28TDs / 7INTs / passer rating of 100.48. Not too bad. Not Superstar level - but not a bum.

2018 - Goff started 16 games. The team won the NFCW and went all the way to the Super Bowl where they lost.
Goff threw for 32TDs / 12INTs with a passer rating of 101.07.

Looks like steady progress to me.

This year things arent going so well for the Los Angles Rams or Goff. Is he the reason? Meh......thats not entirely sure. He's clearly not having a good season...but neither is the team overall.

Has he proven himself worthy of this many picks: first-round pick (2016), two second-round picks (2016), a third-round pick (2016), a first-round pick (2017) and another third-round pick (2017).

Who knows? That apparently was the going rate to jump up to the top of the 2016 draft - the Rams certainly needed a franchise QB - so they pulled the trigger.

Again - why did the Rams extend him this year when it wasnt necessary? Perhaps to take if off the "To Do List" and save some cash in the overall. Clearly they were going to keep him and perhaps figured his cost would only increase.

6 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I put too many hours into Morrowind.  Since you could steal everything, that is what I did.  I just had a collection of stuff.  Probably why I still love Minecraft, and took probably 6 times longer than most to beat Red Dead and Fallout 4.  I am a hoarder, in video games that allow me to do so.  

I never was a fan of the Star Wars games.  Any of them.  

Check out "The Outer Worlds". Huge fan of Fallout, and this is by the creators of New Vegas, Obsidian. Its fantastic and my GOTY.

1 hour ago, Packer_ESP said:

I can't count the hours I spent both in 1 and 2. I even purchased the enhanced editions though I admit I didn't finish any playthrough, I guess I've lost some patience with the years.

The trouble with sinking many 100s of hours into these games early on, is that you know them so well by then it's hard to pick them up again. It happened to me after 800 hrs of Skyrim and I have no idea how many on BG1 and BG2.  I'm filling in time before the follow-up to Skyrim (in 2022 probably) and Dragon Age IV with Larian studio's various Divinty games (very good btw) and lesser known stuff like Grimrock, Blackguard, Shadowrun and The Age of Decadence. If i could get Arcanum working properly again as it used to, I'd play that too.

This is starting to get so off-topic maybe any further comments should be put in the This Aint Packer Talk thread.

Niners starting LT Staley out for the upcoming contest with GB.

DE Blair just went on IR with an ACL

TE Kittle already out for this Sunday's contest against Arizona.

Also Did Not Practice:

LB Azeez Al-Shaair (concussion)
RB Matt Breida (ankle)
K Robbie Gould (right quadricep)
DT D.J. Jones (groin)
WR Emmanuel Sanders (ribs)

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/11/13/20963991/49ers-kittle-out-sunday-staley-has-surgery-and-will-miss-two-weeks

• Like 1