NFL News & Notes

Leader

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We rolled over more than 8 last year, and that was with an aging QB. We didn't break our 3rd contract rule for Bulaga or our "Don't pay ILBs" rule for Martinez. 

I just don't think we're throwing the playbook out the window. Gute looks like he is still following the Ted Thompson playbook, we just don't realize it because we actually had BIG cap space for the first time in a long time last year.

The question now is if he's going to break his own rules and do the things necessary to get really aggressive.

If he doesn't Rodgers is retiring with 1 ring. I don't think he wants that. He's acknowledged a window, something Ted never did.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If he doesn't Rodgers is retiring with 1 ring. I don't think he wants that. He's acknowledged a window, something Ted never did.

I'd say with current roster we aren't going to any Super Bowl, you are correct. The question becomes how do you make the impact needed without having to blow it up 2 years down the road?

IMO, it takes a gamble that I don't see us having an appetite for. Not certain what that gamble is but we need to make some cap space without kicking the can down the road. Taylor is an obvious choice to be released, but that is only 4.5 million more space. 

A more radical approach is cut Linsley, move Jenkins inside to center and keep Taylor or put Patrick at center and cut them both. That gives you 13.6 million additional this year, approximately. Might force Rodgers to get the ball out quicker too. Knowing his o-line isn't stacked the way it was last year. Also, probably has a negative impact on your running game. 

Bottom line, if we want to get to the Super Bowl we need more changes than as an organization we seem inclined to make. 

5 hours ago, Golfman said:

IMO, it takes a gamble that I don't see us having an appetite for.

Bottom line, if we want to get to the Super Bowl we need more changes than as an organization we seem inclined to make. 

The Packers have never been an outright boom and bust team, it just isn't in their DNA (or not for more than 30 years anyway). Their way is to take a sustainable path across future years, that's just who they are, and on the whole it has served them well. If you want someone more boom and bust, maybe the Falcons, or perhaps the Raiders, are better bets.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The Packers have never been an outright boom and bust team, it just isn't in their DNA (or not for more than 30 years anyway). Their way is to take a sustainable path across future years, that's just who they are and on the whole it has served them well. If you want someone more boom and bust, maybe the Falcons, or perhaps the Raiders, are better bets.

I completely agree with this. My point was we do not have a Super Bowl roster as it stands today. If people (many here do) think this is our last best chance, I was suggesting possible courses of action. 

I see, what looks like a lot of panic around the NFL since Sunday. Although it happens every year, this year seems worse with the trades being made. 

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

A splash for Philly: The #Eagles are trading for #Lions star CB Darius Slay, sources say, finishing off talks that first began around the trade deadline. As part of the deal, Slay receives a new contract that puts him among the highest-paid at his position.

I honestly have no idea what the Lions are trying to do. Are they rebuilding? Do they think this makes them better? I'm guessing it's no better than a 2nd round pick and likely a 3rd. For a guy who can really cover. 

Just now, Golfman said:

I honestly have no idea what the Lions are trying to do. Are they rebuilding? Do they think this makes them better? I'm guessing it's no better than a 2nd round pick and likely a 3rd. For a guy who can really cover.

Sounds to me like they're planning on a deep dive in the draft.

Just now, Golfman said:

Slay is in the last year of his contract. 

Right.

So they're moving cost and picking up top draft slots. They selected high last year....doing so this year.
They came in last in the NFCN last year and need to get better.

Ian Rapoport - A splash for Philly: The Eagles are trading for Lions star CB Darius Slay, sources say, finishing off talks that first began around the trade deadline. As part of the deal, Slay receives a new contract that puts him among the highest-paid at his position.

Adam Schefter - Eagles are trading a third- and fifth-round pick in 2020 draft to Detroit for Darius Slay.

////////////

So - DET's getting rid of a guy they had no intention of paying - to gain new players (or trade opportunities for new players) in the draft. They came in last with the current roster and needed to change that up.

Meanwhile....we're tight on cash this year - not all that loaded with draft picks - and have a heavy balance to consider / resign for 2021. DETs trying to make a move. We're treading water a bit. 

Edited by Leader

6 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

A useless statement. 

6 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

A useless statement. 

Not really.  There is a window pure and simple for Rodgers to succeed.  It's at least somewhat encouraging Gute has at least acknowledged that; now will he follow through.  That's the question. 

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ian Rapoport - A splash for Philly: The Eagles are trading for Lions star CB Darius Slay, sources say, finishing off talks that first began around the trade deadline. As part of the deal, Slay receives a new contract that puts him among the highest-paid at his position.

Adam Schefter - Eagles are trading a third- and fifth-round pick in 2020 draft to Detroit for Darius Slay.

////////////

So - DET's getting rid of a guy they had no intention of paying - to gain new players (or trade opportunities for new players) in the draft. They came in last with the current roster and needed to change that up.

Meanwhile....we're tight on cash this year - not all that loaded with draft picks - and have a heavy balance to consider / resign for 2021. DETs trying to make a move. We're treading water a bit. 

Detroit has no other choice … they've sucked for years even with high draft choices and money to spend.  Trying and succeeding is one thing; trying and continually sucking is another.