NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, coachbuns said:

Not really.  There is a window pure and simple for Rodgers to succeed.  It's at least somewhat encouraging Gute has at least acknowledged that; now will he follow through.  That's the question. 

Actually, yes it is. Statements do nothing. It’s just political bs. 

Lack of a statement does not preclude acting as if there is a window. And the tiny % of fans that know anything about cap space know that both GB’s front offices spent regularly when it was available. 

33 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

The Packers have never been an outright boom and bust team, it just isn't in their DNA (or not for more than 30 years anyway). Their way is to take a sustainable path across future years, that's just who they are, and on the whole it has served them well. If you want someone more boom and bust, maybe the Falcons, or perhaps the Raiders, are better bets.

Your team changes every year, the league changes every year, NFL...not for long. Going into each off-season with the same mindset is a great recipe to be forever a bridesmaid and never the bride, aka the last 10 years of the Packers existence (not saying I'm disappointed in the route we've taken, winning it all also takes some luck, sustainability was important with Rodgers at a younger age).

Rodgers is winding down. This is where the mindset flexibility comes in to play. If you are worried about 2024 and potentially sucking that year because you don't want to put the pedal to the damn floor in 2020 with your aging QB, you shouldn't be the GM of a team with said QB.

Time to acknowledge the window Packers FO. As I've said before, I'd rather burn it all to the ground and go 3-13 the year after Rodgers is gone and see who in the draft that year they like to be the next guy. Shouldnt fear sucking to get that next QB, embrace it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TransientTexan said:

Actually, yes it is. Statements do nothing. It’s just political bs. 

Lack of a statement does not preclude acting as if there is a window. And the tiny % of fans that know anything about cap space know that both GB’s front offices spent regularly when it was available. 

Statements do nothing unless acted upon … totally agree.  I will repeat - nice to hear a Packer GM state there's a window; nothing more, nothing less.  It may be political BS - what GM doesn't spew some daily?  Thompson spent regularly?  On rare occasion - yes … regularly is a stretch.

12 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Detroit has no other choice … they've sucked for years even with high draft choices and money to spend.  Trying and succeeding is one thing; trying and continually sucking is another.   

List of the Lions current picks in the upcoming NFL Draft: 

Round 1 (No. 3)
Round 2 (No. 35)
Round 3 (No. 67)
Round 3 (No. 85) *From Philadelphia Eagles
Round 4 (No. 109)
Round 5 (No. 149)
Round 5 (No. 166) *From Philadelphia Eagles
Round 6 (No. 182)
Round 7 (No. 235) *From New England Patriots

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

List of the Lions current picks in the upcoming NFL Draft: 

Round 1 (No. 3)
Round 2 (No. 35)
Round 3 (No. 67)
Round 3 (No. 85) *From Philadelphia Eagles
Round 4 (No. 109)
Round 5 (No. 149)
Round 5 (No. 166) *From Philadelphia Eagles
Round 6 (No. 182)
Round 7 (No. 235) *From New England Patriots

Yeah, let's see how they screw this one up...

5 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Thompson spent regularly?  On rare occasion - yes … regularly is a stretch.

He did. But scapegoat artists in the fan base don’t pay attention to cap space so they don’t understand this. Thompson spent 99.9% of the cap space that was available to him. 

And, unlike the privileges Gute has had, for the majority of Thompsons’ tenure during Rodgers’ “window” the cap limit was not increasing every year, or at least not by much. 

2009- 123m

2010- uncapped

2011- 120m

2012- 120.6m

2013- 123m

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

They could turn that #3 into a really good player.....or into a lot of really good draft picks.

or they can turn #3 into a bust. Lots of people think they'll take Odukah and I have questions about him. His instincts are average, he's not that physical, and his football IQ is a bit average as well. Not saying it's for certain, but I think they continue their bad luck through this draft regardless of who they draft...

Just now, Joe said:

or they can turn #3 into a bust. Lots of people think they'll take Odukah and I have questions about him. His instincts are average, he's not that physical, and his football IQ is a bit average as well. Not saying it's for certain, but I think they continue their bad luck through this draft regardless of who they draft...

Anything's possible...yes....but I'd rather they quit drafting in the shallow end of the pool where its easier.
(Note - in case the analogy isnt working for you....we're in the deep end) :)