NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont care. It's MIA & CIN where talent goes to die.

True, but I'd hate to see three guys certainly die in Cincy vs. three guys getting an opportunity with a better coach in Miami.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

This is now well understood and accepted.
Let's move the discussion forward and talk about how to pay a talented RB in a way that makes sense for both parties
(History has shown that "simply plug in another young one" hasn't worked out very often)

shorter deals ?
more guaranteed cash, but smaller overall salary ?
performance - based only ?
up front signing bonus followed by vet minimums ?

The problem has been identified, I'm way more interested in the solution

The solution, for Jones, is a pretty easy one.

You extend him now when he could be worrying about an injury hurting his value.  Or decreased production.

Extend him 2 years.  Making him a Packer for 3.  Give him about $11-12M guaranteed.  Make it about a $20M deal.  Structure something like that, add in some incentives and it becomes a "win-win".  

GB gets a very good and talented player at a reasonable price.  Jones gets his guaranteed dollars and takes injury out of the equation as far as getting paid.  Jones also gets to hit free agency while still being under 30 years old, and when there could be a new TV deal with an increased cap.

Honestly, we should do this.  He's a special back and we have few weapons.

With a deal like that, we can still draft a RB and if he turns out good, we can trade Jones in the final year for some nice compensation.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You extend him now when he could be worrying about an injury hurting his value.  Or decreased production.

Extend him 2 years.  Making him a Packer for 3.  Give him about $11-12M guaranteed.  Make it about a $20M deal.  Structure something like that, add in some incentives and it becomes a "win-win".  

GB gets a very good and talented player at a reasonable price.  Jones gets his guaranteed dollars and takes injury out of the equation as far as getting paid.  Jones also gets to hit free agency while still being under 30 years old, and when there could be a new TV deal with an increased cap.

With a deal like that, we can still draft a RB and if he turns out good, we can trade Jones in the final year for some nice compensation.

Just a thought.

lets get it done. Jones is the best RB we have had since Ahman Green. get it done Gute. 

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

This is now well understood and accepted.
Let's move the discussion forward and talk about how to pay a talented RB in a way that makes sense for both parties
(History has shown that "simply plug in another young one" hasn't worked out very often)

shorter deals ?
more guaranteed cash, but smaller overall salary ?
performance - based only ?
up front signing bonus followed by vet minimums ?

The problem has been identified, I'm way more interested in the solution

Can they structure a contract so that the player cannot hold out without a punishment?

I am thinking I sign the RB for 3/30.  It is fully guaranteed and is structured 20/5/5.  The player is overpaid for the first season, and makes greatly less money for the remainder of the contract.  Then have a clause that if the player holds out at any point for more money, the player suffers a penalty on money already paid as if the contract were 10/10/10.  So a guy plays his first season for 20 but then decides he isn't going to play for 5, he owes 10 back.  So if the player decided to hold out, he has a contract for 1/10, or 2/15.  But if the team cuts the player because they just paid a 300 yard rusher 20 million dollars, they still owe him 5 million over the next two seasons, no matter what.

Players probably don't like that.  I'm just throwing ideas out.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Can they structure a contract so that the player cannot hold out without a punishment?

The new CBA proposed new and onerous rules on the holdouts - including provisions where the fines are the fines and cannot be waived by the club
I don't know if all of those changes were accepted, but they were part of the proposal from the owners

24 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Let talk about that when he performs 2-3 years in a row, not one.

Longer you wait, the more expensive it could become.

I'm pretty much against doing a large deal for a running back.  

But if I'm "making the case" for Jones, I think he's done everything you wanted him to do.  Came in as a low round pick.  Came in a little heavy.  He showed very good vision right away.  Got a little thinner, more explosive, more patient.  Proved he can run routes and catch the ball (he proved me wrong in that regard).

The kid has done the right things.  

34 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Just a thought.

You DO NOT pay RBs 10 million a year, EVER! 

We sit right now with roughly 62 million in cap space BETWEEN 2020 and 2021 IF the cap goes to 210 million. You want to give a RB 10 million of that space? No thanks when I've got Bak, Clark and King. This is without a single additional free agent signed this year or next year.

I'd rather trade Jones and get a 3rd or 4th and take his replacement than give him 10 M a year. 

54 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I wrote some comments  in your Aaron Jones gif thread, the gist of it is that while everybody says: "Just plug and play another one"
The reality is that it rarely worked out either for the Packers or other teams.
Once you get past the hypotheticals and starting reviewing reality - a different picture is painted both in the draft and in FA with RBs

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25659-aaron-jones-8-longest-runs-of-2019-gif-edition/

Let's play the game, what did the top 13 Rushers in the NFL make in 2019?

1. Derrick Henry - 1.7 million

2. Nick Chubb - .91 million

3. Christian McCaffrey - 2.1 million

4. Ezekiel Elliott - 8.2 million

5. Chris Carson - .65 million

6. Lamar Jackson - 2.5 million

7. Leonard Fournette - 7.4 million

8. Josh Jacobs - 2.2 million

9. Joe Mixon - 1.5 million

10. Dalvin Cook - 1.7 million

11. Marlon Mack - .75 million

12. Aaron Jones - .70 million

13. Carlos Hyde - 1.8 million

Don't pay Running Backs. The two teams that did, don't like their running back.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You DO NOT pay RBs 10 million a year, EVER! 

We sit right now with roughly 62 million in cap space BETWEEN 2020 and 2021 IF the cap goes to 210 million. You want to give a RB 10 million of that space? No thanks when I've got Bak, Clark and King. This is without a single additional free agent signed this year or next year.

I'd rather trade Jones and get a 3rd or 4th and take his replacement than give him 10 M a year. 

Do the math, Golfman.  I proposed an extension.  Total of $20M over 3 years, not 2.

I too do not want a $10M/year running back.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Do the math, Golfman.  I proposed an extension.  Total of $20M over 3 years, not 2.

I too do not want a $10M/year running back.

@vegas492 that works out to over 14 million over the next two years as he's on the books for 2 this year. So between this year and next year you are taking 1/5 of the money we have left to upgrade the team. 

Again, you have King, Clark and Bak to get done as well. I can't do it. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

@vegas492 that works out to over 14 million over the next two years as he's on the books for 2 this year. So between this year and next year you are taking 1/5 of the money we have left to upgrade the team. 

Again, you have King, Clark and Bak to get done as well. I can't do it. 

Not sure King is a deal you have to get done. 

Just now, gopackgo247 said:

Not sure King is a deal you have to get done. 

Who do we have behind him? Are we going to get his replacement in the draft this year? CB is not exactly a position we are loaded at the present time. He's a pretty good football player, and young!