NFL News & Notes

Leader

On 2/10/2018 at 9:13 AM, Leader said:

Dorsey will be the Dom Capers of NFL GMs.  Early success, gradual decline followed by Salary Cap disasters.  The Chiefs would be in even deeper hole if they couldn't have finagled the Smith trade. Washington bailed them out.  Dorsey will look the genius until they have to pay all those high draft picks down the road.  Then he'll move on again.

7 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Dorsey will be the Dom Capers of NFL GMs.  Early success, gradual decline followed by Salary Cap disasters.  The Chiefs would be in even deeper hole if they couldn't have finagled the Smith trade. Washington bailed them out.  Dorsey will look the genius until they have to pay all those high draft picks down the road.  Then he'll move on again.

I would argue that Smith, as a top 10 QB, had a pretty favourable contract. Dorsey did the team a favour by making it easy to trade Smith (had what, 6 teams inquiring?) and by having his replacement ready. 

• Like 2

I find something about this fairly perverse.
"I'm apologizing for the loss of her daughter. I'm apologizing for the impairment of my son," Carruth told WBTV. "I feel responsible for everything that happened. And I just want her to know that truly I am sorry for everything."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22503387/rae-carruth-apologizes-death-pregnant-girlfriend-seeks-custody-18-year-old-son

From PFT:

Freeman signed a three-year, $12 million contract with the Bears in 2016 but was suspended four games that year, then placed on injured reserve after playing just one game in 2017.

Aren't you glad we didn't sign that bomb of a Chicago career? Everybody here was clamoring for that move and I think it's one that we dodged a bullet on. Same with the Ladarius Green love. Medical matters, and we normally have no clue on how these players are checking out.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 2:33 PM, JBURGE25 said:

I would argue that Smith, as a top 10 QB, had a pretty favourable contract. Dorsey did the team a favour by making it easy to trade Smith (had what, 6 teams inquiring?) and by having his replacement ready. 

A top 10 QB for a 3rd round pick and a CB?  Sounds like a fire sale.  All this Dorsey love is misplaced folks. The Chiefs have won just one playoff game in 24 years, and that was against Brian Hoyer. They have won two playoff games in 46 years at Arrowhead Stadium, the same number as the Colts.  Dorsey didn't sign Alex Smith, in fact it was probably his hands off attitude with the salary cap that showed him the door in KC. You can argue the exception all you want.  The record shows that Dorsey had little success in KC and was asked to leave.  Public perception shines a favorable light on his time there, but there were really NO RESULTS.  TT would welcome ALL comparisons to Dorsey.

Edited by Dubz41

I wrote an update to my Adjusted Pythagorean stat for Football Outsiders:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/2017-adjusted-pythagorean-wins

Obviously GB had a bit of a lost season with Hundley so it's difficult to glean much of anything from a stat which relies on points.  But other teams like MIN are projected to decline, while CHI is projected to improve.  DET looks to stand pat at the "just above mediocre" level.

Main discussion thread is in NFL general if you want to participate:

On 2/23/2018 at 11:52 AM, Leader said:

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the soon-to-be 31-year-old tight end wants to continue his NFL career.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917322/article/martellus-bennett-wants-to-continue-his-nfl-career

Personally, I’d love for every team in the NFL to personally call him and flat out tell him he’s a worthless bum, forcing him to play in Canada or retire to the golf course.  Pity the team that signs this a-hole!

8 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

I was never mad at Bennett, I just thought it was hilarious there were idiots from other fanbases who defended him just to troll us.

It wasn't even trolling though.  When Bennett went to Green Bay, he chased the money.  Good riddance.  When he went back to New England, "Bennett felt intimidated and scared.  He wasn't comfortable.  Green Bay is racist.  Doctors threatened to put estrogen into his protein shakes.  Bennett had a missing shoulder.  His shoulder was literally missing.  Medical marvel.  They found it and put it back on as soon as he got back to Foxborough."

When McDaniels went to Indianapolis, one of them literally posted, "Judas!  Not sad to see him go!" in the Pats forum.  When McDaniels came back, LITERALLY THE SAME PERSON TRIED SUGGESTING THAT MCDANIELS LEFT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO MOVE HIS FAMILY.