NFL News & Notes

Leader

Tom Pelissero -  The Bengals are releasing QB Andy Dalton.

• Ian Rapoport -  With no trade market, the #Bengals move on. The Jaguars and former head coach Jay Gruden as OC are a spot that would make sense.
  • Field Yates -  The veteran QB free agent market is now led by Cam Newton, Andy Dalton and Joe Flacco.

Edited by Leader

Football Perspective -   Was the Carson Wentz 2016 trade a good one?

Eagles received Wentz and a 2017 4th (Jehu Chesson, but traded by PHI) and sent to Cleveland:

8th overall pick (Jack Conklin)
3rd round pick (Daryl Worley)
4th round pick (Connor Cook)
2017 1st (Deshaun Watson)
2018 2nd (Tyquan Lewis)

////

I never realized the CLE traded the pick that turned in to Deshaun Watson? Interesting.

NFL Rumors -  The Patriots and Jaguars are among the teams with interest in former Bengals quarterback Andy Dalton.

////

I've thought Dalton made sense for NE for quite a while. While certainly not an accomplished QB (playing for CIN tends to do that to a player....) he's a pure system guy (IMO) who - if he gets plugged in to McDaniels system.....has skills to offer.

Rotoworld -  The Athletic's Matt Barrows considers Dante Pettis to be on the 49ers' roster bubble. Pettis couldn't find the field last season, and the 49ers then ended up using a first-round pick on Brandon Aiyuk and a seventh-rounder on Juan Jennings. Jennings could easily make the team in what was a loaded receiver class. Deebo Samuel and Kendrick Bourne are roster locks. And then Trent Taylor and Jalen Hurd are also expected to make the team now that they're healthy. Pettis plays too soft for coach Kyle Shanahan's liking despite Pettis' solid production in 2018. He'll be competing for a roster spot alongside Richie James and veteran Travis Benjamin. A change of scenery for Pettis could be what's best.

Just now, Chili said:

If Pettis is not good enough for Shanahan then he's certainly not good enough for LaFleur.

My thoughts as well. Anybody who's not good enough to get on the field.................?
Unless theres some compelling reason other than talent (injury / depth / etc) it probably means they're not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Chili said:

Former 1st round pick Taco Charlton has been cut. He fits the type of DL that Pettine likes. My question is this....is he any good as a run stopper?

I'd only take him if we can get Damon Harrison, Floyd Womack and Bill Parcells to coach the team.

10 minutes ago, Chili said:

Former 1st round pick Taco Charlton has been cut. He fits the type of DL that Pettine likes. My question is this....is he any good as a run stopper?

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'd only take him if we can get Damon Harrison, Floyd Womack and Bill Parcells to coach the team.

Probably have to put William Perry and BJ Raji on that club, too.