NFL News & Notes

Leader

Just now, Packerraymond said:

TE's in the first round every year now, right @Outpost31?

It's a good point to try to use against me, so I can't fault you for the joke.

However, unlike others, I have counter points. 

Since 2011 when the 5th year option came into being, there have been only 8 tight ends taken in the first round that have been eligible for a fifth year option. 

1. One of them was Eric Ebron.  It was the Lions.  Not a shining example of good decision making.  Furthermore, although the Lions exercised the option, the Lions actually cut Ebron before he even played his 5th year.  Lol. 

2. The second one was Tyler Eiffert.  He should not have had his 5th year option exercised.

3. Hayden Hurst was traded.

4. Evan Engram has regressed in each of his seasons with his first season being his best. 

5. OJ Howard is being discussed in trades.

6. David Njoku

7. Noah Fant

8. Hockensen

Two of them have been drafted by the Lions.  The Lions. 

• Like 2

One thing about the 5th year option rate for TEs is that it might be artificially high since the cost of a 5th year option depends on both the draft range (1-10 and 11-32) and the position.  Tight End is the 3nd cheapest position (behind RB and K/P)  for the 5th year option.  A top 10 TE's 5th year option is $9.1m and a 11-32 TE's 5th year option is $6m.  By contrast the QB numbers this year are $25m/$17.5m and the WR numbers are $16m/$11m.

16 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

One thing about the 5th year option rate for TEs is that it might be artificially high since the cost of a 5th year option depends on both the draft range (1-10 and 11-32) and the position.  Tight End is the 3nd cheapest position (behind RB and K/P)  for the 5th year option.  A top 10 TE's 5th year option is $9.1m and a 11-32 TE's 5th year option is $6m.  By contrast the QB numbers this year are $25m/$17.5m and the WR numbers are $16m/$11m.

Good points....which I was going to raise earlier but figured I'd be pissing into the wind :)

PFT -  The Saints have outed the Panthers as having a deal in place to sign Mississippi State quarterback Tommy Stevens, if Stevens went undrafted. The disclosure could land both teams in hot water. The Panthers are doing their best to escape the boiling pot.

“We didn’t have a deal in place with the player,” Panthers spokesman Steve Drummond told PFT via text message. “We had conversations like every other team.”

Conversations during the draft with players who may not be drafted are permitted. Financial terms can’t be discussed, however. Although it happens all the time, the league emphasized this point in a pre-draft memo sent to all teams. The Saints claim that they traded back into round seven in order to disrupt the deal that the Panthers struck with Stevens to sign a contract as an undrafted free agent.

Bears declining Trubisky’s 5th year option is kinda surprising to me.  You’d think they would accept it just to give that confidence boost.

Seems like they’re already confident Foles will be the starter there.  Still not a fan.  I feel like Foles is the type who would light our defense up.  

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Bears declining Trubisky’s 5th year option is kinda surprising to me.  You’d think they would accept it just to give that confidence boost.

Seems like they’re already confident Foles will be the starter there.  Still not a fan.  I feel like Foles is the type who would light our defense up.  

That confidence boost would cost them 24M when they already have 173M committed in 2021. In comparison, the Packers have 10M less committed while having Z&AR for a combined 57M cap hit.

Edited by VonKarman

52 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

That confidence boost would cost them 24M when they already have 173M committed in 2021. In comparison, the Packers have 10M less committed while having Z&AR for a combined 57M cap hit.

There’s no bonus attached to the fifth year option though is there?  I had assumed if you exercised the fifth year option you could still cut or trade the player without any dead cap.  If not, the Lions exercising Ebron’s 5th year option and then cutting him has to go down as one of the most lolable moments in the division.

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There’s no bonus attached to the fifth year option though is there?  I had assumed if you exercised the fifth year option you could still cut or trade the player without any dead cap.  If not, the Lions exercising Ebron’s 5th year option and then cutting him has to go down as one of the most lolable moments in the division.

It becomes guaranteed for injury immediately. Guaranteed for performance on the first day of the league year the option is taken for.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It becomes guaranteed for injury immediately. Guaranteed for performance on the first day of the league year the option is taken for.

Makes sense.  So I was right in a way.  I feel like they should have exercised the option and then cut him if he lays another egg this year.  Would have made more sense.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

Makes sense.  So I was right in a way.  I feel like they should have exercised the option and then cut him if he lays another egg this year.  Would have made more sense.

Unless you know he's not going to start long term. God forbid he blows out on a knee or gets hit by a bus or something.

Bengals declined WR John Ross’s 5th year option.  Former 1st rounder, had some injuries, but he balled out on several occasions and put up some huge numbers in single games (had him on my fantasy team for a while).  

Also hearing Twitter rumors that Smith-Schuster’s 5th year option may be declined by the Steelers.  Some interesting developments to watch.

54 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Bengals declined WR John Ross’s 5th year option.  Former 1st rounder, had some injuries, but he balled out on several occasions and put up some huge numbers in single games (had him on my fantasy team for a while).  

Also hearing Twitter rumors that Smith-Schuster’s 5th year option may be declined by the Steelers.  Some interesting developments to watch.

Smith-Schuster wasn’t a first round pick though.  

7 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Smith-Schuster wasn’t a first round pick though.  

You are correct - not his 5th year - the final year of his rookie contract.  Here’s one of the tweets I saw referencing some rumblings that Ju Ju “may” be on his way out.

5 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

You are correct - not his 5th year - the final year of his rookie contract.  Here’s one of the tweets I saw referencing some rumblings that Ju Ju “may” be on his way out.

I wonder what he is after contract wise? Something similar to Landry/ DIggs/Adams at around $14m a season? Or does he want to be paid like a top 10 receiver, then you are hitting in excess of $16m!!!