NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

How differently would we be talking about that trade though if we were the ones who got Mack and the Bears got Z. Smith cheaper and without losing two first round picks?

We dodged a bullet.  We really did.  Z. Smith, Preston Smith, Adrian Amos, Rashan Gary and Darnell Savage is what we got for NOT trading for Mack.

What if not having all that money caused us to look a little lighter for an EDGE in last year's FA class and we signed Shaq Barrett? It's all hypothetical.

The picks are tough to swallow, no way to argue around it. I like both players, but playing devil's advocate, if Gary doesn't develop and Savage plays like he did post injury, the Raiders can have them both. Amos too.

I will never admit that not adding a HOF caliber player at the following positions is "dodging a bullet" : QB, LT, pass rusher, CB.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Becomes less brutal if the plan is to cut ties with 22m on the books in 2022 and 17 more in 2023. All you have to do is fit the year 1 hits in there.

There's method to the madness.

Interesting podcast on CHTV regards a breakdown of future FAs and such. Dont take their opinions about who will be retained versus not - the overriding theme is things are about to get real interesting "accounting-wise"

2 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'm expecting Clark, Bakh, and King to be retained and for all the other UFAs to walk.

Minus some kind of home town discounts - the current market values for these positions is borderline daunting.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Sure.  But then account for cap space and who the Raiders have been able to keep and add versus who the Bears haven’t been able to keep and haven’t been able to add.  Bears won the trade in a cap free league.  They got utterly humiliated in a capped league.

You and I will never agree on how to build a roster, this much is clear. It's OK iny opinion to spend money on hall of fame caliber players at the premium positions in the NFL, you obviously disagree. Anyone can trade for a stud and give up their picks, can you use the remaining money and capital to moneyball a team around them and win? That's what a good GM would do, it's very clear Pace is not a good GM. Glad the Bears have him. Doesn't make the trade bad to me. 

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You and I will never agree on how to build a roster, this much is clear. It's OK iny opinion to spend money on hall of fame caliber players at the premium positions in the NFL, you obviously disagree. Anyone can trade for a stud and give up their picks, can you use the remaining money and capital to moneyball a team around them and win? That's what a good GM would do, it's very clear Pace is not a good GM. Glad the Bears have him. Doesn't make the trade bad to me. 

Nope.  Wrong.  I have never said you can’t pay HOF players.  That’s not the issue.  The issue is BOTH.

Giving up massive draft capital AND a massive contract is, was and always will be the issue.  If Mack was a free agent, yeah, you pay an average of 2 million more per year than what he got.  Trading two firsts AND that massive contract?  No.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Stop hoping for the Tonyans and Looneys and Begeltons.  They’re only going to disappoint.

Dont want to cut the guy down, but only way I see Looney sticking at TE is as a replacement as Lewis's role as an added OT.
Tonyan hasnt done much of note....this is true.....but at least he's a WR/TE convert.
Looney's got way too much "lineman" to him IMO......at least so long as Lewis is around.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Stop hoping for the Tonyans and Looneys and Begeltons.  They’re only going to disappoint.

I am talking preseason squad for Jordan Love to be dominate with.  I also like the guard that we signed from Central Dakota A&M or whatever that D2 school is called.  

12 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

The Bears did well to pair the expensive pass rusher with the cheap QB.  The problem is that the QB just was not good.  If Trubisky was competent, the Bears are probably a playoff team.

I've always had GB's selection of Tony Mandrich at the top of my all time draft day bust list.  I think the Bears trade up for Trubisky may have topped it.  What a disaster.

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I've always had GB's selection of Tony Mandrich at the top of my all time draft day bust list.  I think the Bears trade up for Trubisky may have topped it.  What a disaster.

Mandarich pick was the straw that broke the camel's back for the Packers and we then began getting non-football people out of the football decisions.  It was a necessary evil.  Looking at it from only the picks it is one of, if not the, worst of all time.  But it helped turn the organization around.  

The Bears seem to have squandered the Mack signing, and passed on Mahomes and Watson.  That is pretty bad.  

• Like 1

The best HOF talent is the guy that stays with the team that drafted him. Why ? Because they at least had him for years on a rookie contract, before he became seriously expensive. The price of HOF type guys usually means you can only only afford one on a mega-contract.........or a couple at most. You can have a few higher paid guys, but not the mega contracts like the $20m+ for a prime Suh or Mack. If you have to give up multiple high picks as well to get them............ouch.