NFL News & Notes

Leader

26 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Mandarich pick was the straw that broke the camel's back for the Packers and we then began getting non-football people out of the football decisions.  It was a necessary evil.  Looking at it from only the picks it is one of, if not the, worst of all time.  But it helped turn the organization around.  

The Bears seem to have squandered the Mack signing, and passed on Mahomes and Watson.  That is pretty bad.  

I think the only thing worse than whiffing on that pick when three straight Hall of Fame players went after him would be picking one of the Hall of Fame players and squandering your chances with him and not winning a Super Bowl like the Lions did with Sanders.

I think the important takeaway is that QB is the only position that adds wins (without regard for the situation). A good QB can drag a bad team to an 8-10 win season. Even a DPOY-level pass rusher can't do that. In the right situation, other players can provide great value by plugging roster holes, etc. They just don't have the influence to add wins by themselves. If you have a good overall team on cheap contracts, adding some star power can do great things. But if you have roster holes, blowing a bunch of resources on one guy is still going to leave you a team full of holes.

Four out of the top 5 players drafted in 2017 had their 5th year option declined. Is the NFL draft is a crap shoot is an understatement?  If you look at it deeper the players who were declined a 5th year option were clearly over drafted by a lot. Leonard Fournette was considered top 10 talent but at a non-value position. 

MItchell, Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Corey Davis, John Ross, Haasan Reddick, Garrett Bolles, Jarred Davis, Charles Harris, Gareon Conley, Taco Charlton all were way over drafted and it came back to bite the team in the arse. The one you could make a case for that was projected close to where he went was Takkarist McKinley who hasn't worked out in Atlanta. 

Rueben Foster was a talented head case and the 49ers gambled and lost. 

Edited by Golfman

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

Four out of the top 5 players drafted in 2017 had their 5th year option declined. Is the NFL draft is a crap shoot is an understatement?  If you look at it deeper the players who were declined a 5th year option were clearly over drafted by a lot. Leonard Fournette was considered top 10 talent but at a non-value position. MItchell, Trubisky, Solomon Thomas, Corey Davis, John Ross, Haasan Reddick, Garrett Bolles, Jarred Davis, Charles Harris, Gareon Conley, Taco Charlton all were way over drafted and it came back to bite the team in the arse. The one you could make a case for that was projected close to where he went was Takkarist McKinley who hasn't worked out in Atlanta. Rueben Foster was a talented head case and the 49ers gambled and lost.

Be an interesting study to consider the cap situations of the teams declining those 5th year options. Many "positional values" (so to speak...) have gotten pretty exhorbitant and I wouldnt be surprised if teams are basing their considerations on cap status (and the cost to re-up the player) versus talent/production.

Aka: Aaron Jones

If we had the space/cash....or werent projecting to have some tight space/cash....extending or accepting AJs 5th year option would be a no brainer based on his production.

Edited by Leader

Field Yates -   Don Shula: the NFL's all-time winningest coach in terms of regular season (328) and total (347) wins. A two-time Super Bowl champion, coach of the only undefeated team in NFL history and the only four-time NFL Coach of the Year. RIP.

PFT -  Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre was paid $1.1 million for speeches he never gave, according to an audit of the Mississippi Department of Human Services.

The 104-page audit also uncovered some other shady investments of public funds designed to help the poorest Mississippians, including buying expensive cars, hiring family members of state officials and sponsoring a college baseball tournament.

According to Luke Ramseth of the Mississippi Clarion Ledger, Favre was paid $1.1 million in two installments by the Mississippi Community Education Center for appearances, promotions, autographs and speaking engagements. Auditors said after reviewing dates and other details they determined Favre “did not speak nor was he present for those events.”

Rotoworld - Since retiring in 2016, Manning has bounced from organization to organization informally taking notes on how teams are operated, particularly with scouting. There have been a few reports of Manning having offers to be a general manager, although the future Hall of Fame quarterback denies that a written offer has never been presented. It's clear that Manning has some degree of interest in an executive role, but it's unclear if he'll actually accept a position at any point in the near future. People around Manning believe he'd be better as a general manager than as a television analyst because of how much he likes being hands on. He will likely have offers to go in either direction for the next decade. In the meantime, Manning has commercials to film. Source: Bleacher Report

Rotoworld -   Ravens GM Eric DeCosta believes it would have been "irresponsible" for the team to not select RB J.K. Dobbins in the second round since he carried a round one grade on Baltimore's board.

"My philosophy is talent wins. If you have a running back who you think can be a dynamic player for you and you are a team who loves to run the football, to me it makes too much sense." The Ravens were in a class above the rest of the league running the football last season, averaging 206 yards as a team. The next closest franchise was the 49ers at 144 yards. Dobbins' immediate contribution might be split with Mark Ingram, but there seems to be a clear path to a second-year explosion in 2021.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

PFT -  Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre was paid $1.1 million for speeches he never gave, according to an audit of the Mississippi Department of Human Services.

The 104-page audit also uncovered some other shady investments of public funds designed to help the poorest Mississippians, including buying expensive cars, hiring family members of state officials and sponsoring a college baseball tournament.

According to Luke Ramseth of the Mississippi Clarion Ledger, Favre was paid $1.1 million in two installments by the Mississippi Community Education Center for appearances, promotions, autographs and speaking engagements. Auditors said after reviewing dates and other details they determined Favre “did not speak nor was he present for those events.”

Nothing says doooshbaggery like ripping off a Community Education Center.  SMH.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

2 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Nothing says doooshbaggery like ripping off a Community Education Center.  SMH.

I mean, isn't this illegal? Not just dooshbaggery? How does he skate on this, if true?

4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Only if the community center sues, or the IRS comes down hard on him.

Strange story. "Hey, Brett? Want some money?" "Sure!"

What's it in it for either of the two entities here?

Edit: Well I can see what's in it for Brett.

Edited by Uffdaswede

24 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Yeah, I definitely question the judgement of the education center for dropping over $1 million of their funding on a publicity stunt like this.  Without knowing the center’s mission or how they acquire their funding, I’d be pretty pi$$ed if I was a donor/investor or a member of their board for even entertaining such an idea.  There’s definitely better ways to invest education funding.

23 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

I think more details will emerge, like Brett appeared at a birthday party and was the celebrity patsy to make all these connections