NFL News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I've been seeing a lot of rumors out there that Ju Ju Smith Schuster could be had via trade.  That is one player that would make a lot of sense for the Packers.  He's 23, and has proven to be a highly competent #2 receiver.  He's on his final season of a cheap rookie deal, but the Packers have shown a willingness to pay out some serious coin for another good receiver.  They may have been in on Robbie Anderson, and reportedly made a three year offer to Emmanuel Sanders.  I hope the Packers are sniffing around on this one.  That's a move that could move the needle.

You're either renting JJSS, or trading one of Jones/Bahk/King/Clark/Rodgers future for him. 

There is no money for a #2 WR in GB currently, it's draft or bust.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're either renting JJSS, or trading one of Jones/Bahk/King/Clark/Rodgers future for him. 

I hate our situation ... I was thinking maybe they had a plan since they were hunting Anderson and Sanders in free agency, and rumored to be sniffing around Hooper as well.  I don't want to lose any of the guys you listed, but JJSS definitely moves the needle for us on offense.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

I hate our situation ... I was thinking maybe they had a plan since they were hunting Anderson and Sanders in free agency, and rumored to be sniffing around Hooper as well.  I don't want to lose any of the guys you listed, but JJSS definitely moves the needle for us on offense.

We're paying good players a lot of money. It sucks that we don't have oodles of cap, but Rodgers, Bahk, Adams, Smith, Smith and Bulaga were a large part of last years cap. Lost Bulaga, but we're about to add Clark. Our money is being spent on the best players on the team, just the way it goes when you are good. 

With the likely hood there will be a lot of two WR sets is everyone really down on Funches? I guess it's not exciting, but he has been productive in this league and was getting a lot of praise before he was hurt last year. I know I am an optimist mostly, but do I just have green and gold goggles on? I guess I just don't see our WR group as a dumpster fire. Not a world beater, but can be productive. Especially with the group of RBs we have.

6 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

BTW, the JJSS rumour comes from a journalist speculating

Every journalist, pseudo journalist or wannabe knows that Packer fans have a wicked case of Wide Receiver Fever.
All they have to do is throw some chum in the water and the immense fan base will be in a frenzy,  clicking their stuff like crazy

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I could see JJSS for either King or Jones.  Probably leaning towards Jones.

But if you are telling me the cost to re-sign Jones is going to be near the cost for Ju-Ju, then I'd lean Jones.  (And really hoping Jones for less.)

I’m over the WR craze, it was potentially mouth watering leading up to the draft as there were just so many WR’s worth scouting and with standout skill sets to keep us busy and full of intrigue but they don’t move the needle for me. I care more about the development of the defense, want to see Jaire take it to another level, Rashan Gary force his way onto the field, Oren Burks trying to give the ILB’s a skill set they haven’t had in a while and the DE’s getting some sand in their pants on run downs!

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I could see JJSS for either King or Jones.  Probably leaning towards Jones.

But if you are telling me the cost to re-sign Jones is going to be near the cost for Ju-Ju, then I'd lean Jones.  (And really hoping Jones for less.)

I'd trade King for Ju Ju.  I really like King, but he's got some creaky shoulders and may still command a ton on the open market.  Re-signing him is a much bigger gamble than re-signing Ju Ju.  

30 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'd trade King for Ju Ju.  I really like King, but he's got some creaky shoulders and may still command a ton on the open market.  Re-signing him is a much bigger gamble than re-signing Ju Ju.  

That wouldn’t give me much confidence in the CB’s after Alexander. Probably going to have to pay a fortune to bring in a #2 CB

Edited by TheGreatZepp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

That was a dirty hit 100%.  It was a revenge hit.  Burfict probably deserved it I won’t lie.  I was just responding to it being evidence of it being willingness to block.  

Sh...t happens in a fast paced game.  Who knows, maybe he was looking for Burfict and gave him a taste of his own medicine.  I'm not going to dismiss him by any means for that one hit in the heat of the moment.  (I like the fact it was on Burfict too) 

I've come around to believe if we get this version of Funchess we will be ok not drafting a WR or trading for ju ju. He really made Cam look like a decent QB at one time. Mute and enjoy the highlights!

Edited by St Vince
  • Like 4

Seems to me that MLF wants to build the offense around the running game.  That being the case, having one high priced WR along with 4-5 reasonable/bargain contracts is probably the new normal at WR in GB.  I don't think the team views upgrading at WR as nearly as big of priority as most fans/media do.  At this point I'd be much less surprised to see the team give Jones a 2nd contract next off-season vs signing a FA WR to a 10M+ multi year deal.  In reality, I don't expect either.  I think a day 2 pick at WR in 2021 is the ceiling of what to expect.