NFL News & Notes

Leader

5 hours ago, YaddaHolla said:

My only concern is that if he blows up, we only get one year out of him. I guess that a good problem to have

You never know around these parts. There’s many reasons I agree that you don’t draft a guard in the 1st, but I swear one of the strangest was, “if he turns out to be an all-pro you’ll have to pay him a lot of money.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chillparsi1 said:

You never know around these parts. There’s many reasons I agree that you don’t draft a guard in the 1st, but I swear one of the strangest was, “if he turns out to be an all-pro you’ll have to pay him a lot of money.”

That actually makes sense to me. It was why the 49ers let Iupati go.

He was a very good player when his second contract was due, but guard isn't a premium position to sink lots of money into.

1 hour ago, chillparsi1 said:

It makes perfect sense with a cap limit.  You want your cap spread out to the most important positions, not the least important positions.  As 1265 said, you often see these teams let these guards hit free agency even when they’re good.  

Imagine being the Colts in three years having to pay Nelson tackle money to play guard.  

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It makes perfect sense with a cap limit.  You want your cap spread out to the most important positions, not the least important positions.  As 1265 said, you often see these teams let these guards hit free agency even when they’re good.  

Imagine being the Colts in three years having to pay Nelson tackle money to play guard.  

16 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

That actually makes sense to me. It was why the 49ers let Iupati go.

He was a very good player when his second contract was due, but guard isn't a premium position to sink lots of money into.

Then you don't pay them the second contract. I'm not saying invest in that position. But I'm not going to not take a player because, "if has 5 years of excellent play then I might not be able to pay him after." Heck no, I'll take 5 years of all-pro play. It's a good problem to have whether to pay him or not. Same as what @YaddaHolla was saying about Funchess.

Edited by chillparsi1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chillparsi1 said:

Then you don't pay them the second contract. I'm not saying invest in that position. But I'm not going to not take a player because, "if has 5 years of excellent play then I might not be able to pay him after." Heck no, I'll take 5 years of all-pro play. It's a good problem to have whether to pay him or not. Same as what @YaddaHolla was saying about Funchess.

The problem is you’re missing a chance to get 5 years of excellent play at a premium position instead.

It all depends on the board, but you’d like to move around if necessary so you don’t have to make that decision to take a guard in the first. Like our front office did with Love for example.

2 hours ago, deathstar said:

The problem is you’re missing a chance to get 5 years of excellent play at a premium position instead.

It all depends on the board, but you’d like to move around if necessary so you don’t have to make that decision to take a guard in the first. Like our front office did with Love for example.

Again, I'm not arguing the virtues of a first round guard. I'm just saying that being worried about having to pay them  if they're good is a bad line of thinking. 

The last two drafts have been really good for the Bengals.  They might be on the turnaround track. 

The two drafts before were God-awful, and may have been enough to change their idiot ways of thinking. 

They drafted John Ross 9th overall (9th overall for a speed WR). 
They drafted Billy Price 21st overall (a CENTER 21st overall).

Ross is an absolute bust, and Billy Price has been BAD.  He actually had a worse PFF grade in year two than in year one. 

The three players drafted after Ross? 
1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Marshon Lattimore
3. Deshaun Watson

(Just an FYI for all of you who think we should have drafted a WR for Rodgers).

But in the last two drafts, I feel like they've been really smart. 

They drafted a tackle 11th overall.  He might play guard, but it was still an okay choice.  The type that's almost bust-proof.  He could be a really good tackle, but if he fails there at least you got a plus OL.  Then they got a tight end in the second round and a receiver in the second round. 

They've got hopefully a good nucleus around Burrow.

They'd be a really fun team to play with in Madden and build around.  No major contracts to bog them down, just straight draft and develop. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

The last two drafts have been really good for the Bengals.  They might be on the turnaround track. 

The two drafts before were God-awful, and may have been enough to change their idiot ways of thinking. 

Ross is an absolute bust, and Billy Price has been BAD.  He actually had a worse PFF grade in year two than in year one. 

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Marshon Lattimore
3. Deshaun Watson

They drafted a tackle 11th overall.  He might play guard, but it was still an okay choice.  The type that's almost bust-proof.  He could be a really good tackle, but if he fails there at least you got a plus OL.  Then they got a tight end in the second round and a receiver in the second round. 

They'd be a really fun team to play with in Madden and build around.  No major contracts to bog them down, just straight draft and develop. 

Still think they should have traded Green last season.   Even if he comes back and plays well, he will likely not be a key piece for CINCY when they  hit a window to contend.    Maybe he gives them  a solid piece for Burrow to get comfortable with in the NFL level.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

1. Patrick Mahomes
2. Marshon Lattimore
3. Deshaun Watson

Yea, I’ve been looking at some other teams to find risers. I think the Raiders could be in contention for a playoff spot. At the very least, they should have a strong offense. They already have a great TE & RB, and good OL & QB. They have that treasure-trove of picks from the Mack trade. 3 of their top-4 picks this year were WR, so they’d have to have an abysmal scouting dept to not have at least one of those guys be decent. Only question is the defense, but they added a fair amount in free agency, plus the addition of 2 first-round DB’s.

Just now, Arthur Penske said:

Perhaps Gutey and Murphy made a real good call with MLF

Disagree completely on it being McDaniels to blame.

Josh McDaniels is that offense.  There's literally a story out there about how the only single drive the Patriots scored a TD in that second Rams Super Bowl was because of him coming up with plays out of the blue.  They had never practiced the plays before.  Ever.  He just came up with a set and the Rams had no answer for it the entire drive. 

That wasn't Brady.  The Rams completely and totally shut Brady down.

It was McDaniels 100%. 

Brady is a pawn whose best attribute is his willingness to do what it takes and putting himself second.  Now he's putting himself first finally and it won't end well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Disagree completely on it being McDaniels to blame.

Josh McDaniels is that offense.  There's literally a story out there about how the only single drive the Patriots scored a TD in that second Rams Super Bowl was because of him coming up with plays out of the blue.  They had never practiced the plays before.  Ever.  He just came up with a set and the Rams had no answer for it the entire drive. 

That wasn't Brady.  The Rams completely and totally shut Brady down.

It was McDaniels 100%. 

Brady is a pawn whose best attribute is his willingness to do what it takes and putting himself second.  Now he's putting himself first finally and it won't end well. 

You give a vet QB like that input in the gameplan. Now we don't know if Brady was asking for complete control or what, but we heard in Denver McDaniels was a control freak. If he was not allowing Tom input on the gameplan, that doesn't bode well for him ever being a HC. 

• Like 1