NFL News & Notes

Leader

Seems to be momentum for the 4th and 15 onside kick alternative.  I feel like that will not go as planned.

Yes, 4th and 15 percentage is very close to pre-rule change onside kick percentages, but it’s easier to practice for and create plays to convert 4th and 15 than it is to plan for a bounce of a ball.  

I feel like, if it goes into effect, 4th and 15 attempts will have about a 20% success rate.  

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Seems to be momentum for the 4th and 15 onside kick alternative.  I feel like that will not go as planned.

Yes, 4th and 15 percentage is very close to pre-rule change onside kick percentages, but it’s easier to practice for and create plays to convert 4th and 15 than it is to plan for a bounce of a ball.  

I feel like, if it goes into effect, 4th and 15 attempts will have about a 20% success rate.  

Completely agree! The onside kick used to be a Hail Mary type of play. There are over a dozen plays in a game of 15 yards or longer so it's not abnormal. I don't like the rule change to be honest. I'd rather it be 4th and 20 or 25 and make it desperation. Just hope it's not 4th and 26! 

52 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Completely agree! The onside kick used to be a Hail Mary type of play. There are over a dozen plays in a game of 15 yards or longer so it's not abnormal. I don't like the rule change to be honest. I'd rather it be 4th and 20 or 25 and make it desperation. Just hope it's not 4th and 26! 

The problem is that the kickoff rule killed the onside kick. When guys were hitting the kickline with a full head of steam, it gave the kicking team a fighting chance. When they moved up the starting line, it became pointless. 

17 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The problem is that the kickoff rule killed the onside kick. When guys were hitting the kickline with a full head of steam, it gave the kicking team a fighting chance. When they moved up the starting line, it became pointless. 

I get it, but don't want to make the odds/success percentage to go up too much compared to the old rule. If the success rate (prior to 2019) was 5% (I'm making that number up) then the 4th and whatever should have a similar success rate. Like I said, the onside kick should be like a Hail Mary type of situation. Not an opportunity for teams to get multiple opportunities at the ball. 

The Chiefs are going to use this often if it's 4th and 15 IMO. It absolutely could backfire on them as well. I just don't want to verve too far away from the game as it was formerly known. It could become the arena league before long! 

I definitely don’t like the idea of giving a team the entire field to work with on these 4th and 15 shots.  If this does go into effect, it has to be 4th and 15 yards to the end zone to give defenses less field to cover.  Otherwise there will be examples of teams scoring touchdowns on onside kick attempts.  

Something has to change, granted, but I agree with Goldman.  This has to be more of a shot in hell than a tough out.

Going to be really interesting to see how the injury report looks this year.  Might really benefit the Packers to have “Packer people” who stay home and don’t do anything but play Settlers of Catan.  I could see an NFL season where some stars test positive for COVID-19 and have to quarantine.  What if an entire team tests positive (give or take a dozen players obviously).  

In 2010 the Packers won a Super Bowl in an uncapped year.  Nobody remembers that.  I’m perfectly okay with winning a Super Bowl because everybody on the other team is healthy in quarantine.

9 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

They should change the rule to where a team announces they are going to do an onside kick and that would allow the kicking team get a running head start but they aren't allowed to kick the ball deep or farther than a certain yardage.

3 minutes ago, Victor1124 said:

They should change the rule to where a team announces they are going to do an onside kick and that would allow the kicking team get a running head start but they aren't allowed to kick the ball deep or farther than a certain yardage.

no further than 10 yds or it's a penalty. That'll teach em!

The Draft Network - The national discussion and valuation of running backs has certainly shifted. Carlos Hyde’s contract is yet another example. Middle-aged, middle-tier veteran rushers are on the market longer now than ever before, and accordingly, come off the market cheaper than ever before. The more the league adopts the idea that passing is king and rushing success is more so a product of offensive line play than running back play, the more the NFL will continue to devalue the position. It will lead to more committee approaches with cheap rookie running backs and the occasional veteran acquisition.

20 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

good

i hate onside kicks

abolish them